X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Velvet Bag

Oooo forgot about this quickie...

Had a lady come through my line with her kid one day, and pay for her order (AROUND 60 dollars worth) with LOOSE change.

Which she pulled out of a small velvet bag.

Then proceeded to count in front of me.

Granted it was mostly quarters, but STILL!!!

(Did I mention it was LOOSE?!)

Arrrrrgggggggg
    "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Sounds like another poster here who paid off his ex-stepson with coinage like that. Granted they where dollar coins, and only thirty of them, but still.

I bet that made counting your till down at the end of your shift a real (heavy) pain.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I once paid for my fast food with a roll of quarters. I had an entire roll left over from doing laundry and not much other cash with me. The girl at the register actually thanked me though. Apparently she was getting low on quarters.
      "Any free samples?"
      "Sorry, not today."

Come on people, we're a bank not a bakery.

Comment

I've had a lady that came in once a month that paid me in change like that. I loved her to pieces. Always had to split up the change at the end of the day, though, and that took some time.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth SilverOrb View Post
          Had a lady come through my line with her kid one day, and pay for her order (AROUND 60 dollars worth) with LOOSE change.
          Yeah. That's when you tell her your sorry (you can pretend, right?), but she's going to have to bring back something reasonable.

Unless you work for the government, there is no requirement you take that much change from anyone. If they want to pay, then they can get themselves to a bank or a coinstar and cash up to some folding money.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            Yeah. That's when you tell her your sorry (you can pretend, right?), but she's going to have to bring back something reasonable.

Unless you work for the government, there is no requirement you take that much change from anyone. If they want to pay, then they can get themselves to a bank or a coinstar and cash up to some folding money.

^-.-^

I agree. I've had people bring up big plastic bags or containers full of change, and I'd just tell them "Sorry, if it's not rolled up, I can't take that much loose change." If they made a stink, I'd simply open my drawer and show them the tiny little change compartments and ask "Where exactly do you expect me to put all that?" Honestly, there's no reason to expect a STORE to provide BANK services.
            Last edited by Triscuitty; 04-02-2008, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Many banks won't take that much loose change either.

Comment

Quoth SilverOrb View Post
                Which she pulled out of a small velvet bag.

:
                Hehehe you mean a crown royal bag

Comment

When I was about 12-13 the neighbor lady ran the concession stand as a fund raiser at a big 2 day little league tournament.

On Monday I was appointed by my mom to assist the neighbor lady haul the loot to the bank.

It was a little league tournament. LOTS of kids.

$800+ was taken to the bank. $600+ of that was in change.

The bank gave us a special teller just to count the change. What a major pain. I think it took an whole hour to haul the loot into the bank and for the teller to verify the count. I remember we had to unwrap the change and load it into special trays. I did the Nickles. I had well over $100 in just Nickles.

I confess, I was a SC, but I was 12 and didn't know better.
                  SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

We had one lady try to pay the FEM (who was ringing because it was really busy due to the potential of a snow storm) pennies and nickels for a $125-130 order. The FEM decided to accept it but take her sweet time to count it twice, espically since the SC was hurried. We could have used the scale, but this was more fun.

Comment

my bank has a coin machine so you can deposit large ammounts of change, randomness

Comment

When I was a cashier, we had a Coinstar machine in the store. I happened to be on a register right near it, when these two guys come in with a cart with buckets full of change. They spent well over an hour dumping change into the machine. Their total coinage was a couple thousand dollars. They brought the slip up the front desk and the person there just stared at them - they had to have someone come and open up the safe since there was no way they could just give out $2k+.

I'm shocked the machine even held that much coinage. But I guess it had gotten emptied that morning.

Comment

Great googly moogly, and I thought I was a change hoarder!
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

It is nice when the banks have a coinstar machine. Typically if you are a memeber of that bank it will allow you to use the machine and not pay a fee.
                            The problem with the grocery store - they take part of that money for the service.

I can understand at $40 or over not being able to take change.

Just because someone is paying in coins . . .that doesn't mean they are expecting you to be a bank for them. They are paying in cash money . . .coins have the vaule imprinted on them just like paper money.

Comment

try having someone pay for a delivery order with like $25 in change (no not in just quarters but mostly dimes nickles and pennies). and they stiff ya
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X