Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent a summer working in a car dealership when I was young, and I remember this one jackass thought he'd be cute and pay off several hundred dollars worth of car repairs with ones. He was pissed off about the bill or some such thing. They were in a paper grocery bag, and not bundled or anything. Just several hundred ones floating around loose.

The cashier, known for being a fierce, intense woman that everyone was afraid of, just sat down and calmly counted out each bill at her leisure. She got up for coffee, she got up to answer the phone. In fact, she'd quietly told me what was going on and told me not to help her in any way. No phone answering, no helping count. I could help other customers if a lot showed up at once, but that was it. She wanted me to just go about my other duties and let her manage the cashier's counter all by herself while she was ringing this douchbag out.

She was there all morning counting that money. And, of course, he couldn't get his car and leave until she was finished.

I dont think that scenario played out exactly the way dollar boy thought it would.

Comment

Coinage

I had a lady pay a $77 mobile phone bill with dollar coins. I don't have a place in my till for that! I also have several...um...adult entertainers who pay their bills entirely in one dollar bills. I don't mind that, because I am always short on ones.

Comment

When I worked at Kinko's, I'd actually buy all the dollar coins for my own use. When you pretend to live in the early 1600's for a hobby, it's so much more fun slapping gold coins down than it is handing over paper money at SCA events.

Comment

Hahahahaha RK!!!! My husband and his friends like to do that at the Maryland Renn Faire. Especially when they're in costume.

Comment

I imagine the practice is pretty widespread. People who think the coins are unpopular don't know about rennies and scadians!

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
              my bank has a coin machine so you can deposit large ammounts of change, randomness
              Same here. Well, the bank I won't be using for much longer, anyway. I wonder about my new bank.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth iviles View Post
                Hehehe you mean a crown royal bag
                Hey, now! Crown Royal makes a damn fine dice bag!

What...? Liquor? They do that too?
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  Hey, now! Crown Royal makes a damn fine dice bag!

What...? Liquor? They do that too?
                  Actually it was NOT a Crown Royal Bag... I think it just have been a jewelry bag, though it reminded me a lot of a cheap Tarot bag... just a little wider than normal
                  "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    Many banks won't take that much loose change either.
                    That's weird, every bank I've been to has a nice big coin-sorting machine. They dump the bag of change in, the machine counts it, customer gets paper money. o_O

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      When I worked at Kinko's, I'd actually buy all the dollar coins for my own use. When you pretend to live in the early 1600's for a hobby, it's so much more fun slapping gold coins down than it is handing over paper money at SCA events.
                      We like to do the same thing with our mid-1800's reenactments! Find a kid to haul firewood or water, and pay him off in dollar coins.
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                        I imagine the practice is pretty widespread. People who think the coins are unpopular don't know about rennies and scadians!
                        Yuppers. I've got handfulls of random coins. My favorite are always the silver ones, though, because they make such a nice 'ting' sound.

But I don't care how "legal tender" coins are. If your bill comes to more than $10, you'd better have some paper money.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                        X