This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Halloween thief

*nothing work or employee-related, just some suckage which happened last night*

Since my daughter's gotten to the age where she'd rather go trick-or-treating with friends, for the past few Halloweens, I've gone to my mom's house to help with handing out candy. (which is a lot of fun, because I love seeing the costumes kids wear, and I have my special Halloween music which I play)

Anyhow, my daughter and a friend were handing out candy to the last few trick-or-treaters, and apparently the said kids grabbed one of the decorations off of my mom's porch and took off with it. Which was sucky in itself, but also because it was something which my brother had worked really hard to make.....

boo, that stinks!!

Makes you wonder what his parents are like. Or not. Too scary to contemplate.

Comment

Not sure if the parents were around or not.....my daughter only said that the boys looked like they were about 7 or so, and that they'd snatched the decoration and ran off after she gave them candy.

Comment

most likely turds...after all, what else could they be.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

it's too bad you didn't recognize them.
          cos i am betting a "kind word" to their parents would set them straight...

assuming they have good parents.

:-(

Comment

That sucks. I know for us, we put a lot of work into our Halloween displays, and we usually spend more money than we should on the decor. I'd be really pissed off if someone took off with part of our decorations or smashed on of our pumpkins. So far we've been lucky, though. (We don't live in a great neighborhood, but we're down a a dead end and out of the way enough that we're mostly left alone.)
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Maybe they thought it was so pretty that they had to have it.
              "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Maybe they just thought of it as a Halloween prank. It would have ticked me off, though, if it was my house, especially if the decoration was handmade.

At our old house, we stopped giving out candy the year some older kids forced their way into the hallway, snatched the bag of candy and ran off with it. We just didn't feel safe anymore.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

We closed our gates - we were in chicken pox quarantine.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

At our old house, we stopped giving out candy the year some older kids forced their way into the hallway, snatched the bag of candy and ran off with it. We just didn't feel safe anymore.
                    I had something similar happen once at our old house. Literally had about 30 high school kids show up at my door. They ended up nearly pushing their way into the house (kids in the back were pushing the kids that were at the door) and one of the kids tried to steal my rather realistic rubber rat.

I managed to get them to stop pushing into my house. I dont think they realized what they were doing with that, and the kid that grabbed the rat and had stuffed it into his bag...I pretty much intimidated him into giving it back.

Found out later, that these same kids vandalized one of my neighbor's displays. They smashed it on their way out of his yard.

The next year, I made sure that my rather large dog (140 pounds at the time...he was overweight then) answered the door with me.

I miss my demon puppy. He died in 2006. Halloween isnt the same without him. I dont dress up for it anymore because it just isnt fun without my favorite Halloween accessory.

Comment

Does your local newspaper have a Cheers & Jeers section? If they do, you should submit a jeer to it about the decoration getting taken. A friend of the family had some yard ornaments that my parents made stolen from his front lawn. He wrote up a jeer and a few days after it was printed, someone had brought the items back.

Comment

Quoth AriGriffin View Post
                        Does your local newspaper have a Cheers & Jeers section? If they do, you should submit a jeer to it about the decoration getting taken. A friend of the family had some yard ornaments that my parents made stolen from his front lawn. He wrote up a jeer and a few days after it was printed, someone had brought the items back.
                        As far as I know, our paper doesn't have a section like that..........the best I could do would be to send in a "Letter to the Editor" and hope that it would get printed.

Comment

Speaking of stolen decorations, my local town a few years back had a rash of Christmas thefts. Things taken varied from old antiques to big lawn ornaments to even Christmas lights. Now what idiot would take the time to actually untangle lights from a bush is beyond me, but anyway... After about the 3rd or 4th Christmas of holiday thefts, there was a sudden break in the case. Over the holiday break, a university employee was watching and taking care of a fraternity house and was shocked to find a room blanketed in holiday decor. More specifically, decor that included some very recognizable pieces, which had been in the paper. Cops were called, students were suspended & arrested, and much ridicule was to be had. Fortunately, the owners of the handmade/expensive/antique pieces had them returned, but still.
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

This is why I don't carve pumpkins anymore. The last time I did, the pumpkin was found smashed. No need to decorate pumpkins if dumb kids are just going to destroy them.

Comment

Quoth Saphire089 View Post
                              This is why I don't carve pumpkins anymore. The last time I did, the pumpkin was found smashed. No need to decorate pumpkins if dumb kids are just going to destroy them.
                              Since we use one of the LED lights instead of actual candles in our pumpkin, we put it inside the window when we light it. We don't want the cold to damage the light, and it keeps the other kids in the courtyard from running off with it. Of course, it helps tremendously that right now, our backyard is a gated courtyard shared with the rest of our apartment building, so we don't get rowdy neighborhood kids smashing our pumpkins. I'm not sure what we'll do when we move to a less secure place.
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                              X