Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd degree burn=hospital, right?? (language, much rage )

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 degree is minor ouch.
    2 degree is when it breaks the skin and has lots of pain
    3 degree is when you need skin grafts. Only bonus is that you don't have as much pain as second degree as it destroys the nerves.

He needs to sue. I really wish you guys recorded and document it.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
      Is AV good on burns in general?
      Aloe Vera is amazing for burns, actually. But you need to either find a real gel (aka with a high concentration of aloe, not the junk you find on most shelves) or use an actual aloe leaf.

My brother once spilled a pot pie straight from the oven onto his inner forearm. He got the leaf treatment (my family always had a few plants on hand) and now you can't even tell which arm it was.

When I dumped the quart of not-quite-boiling soup on myself, I had a decent aloe creme to put on. I had some nice 2nd degree blisters from that one, but very little pain from those. The 1st degree burns on my arms, on the other hand, stung like a mother!

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It is a sad statement, but yeah there are a lot of ways around the rules that are supposed to protect employees. Even in non-'at will' states. Explaining some of the things I've seen and know of happening would lead to fratching though, so all I will say is still go to the Hospital..still get it documented.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Please also supply him with 5 or 6 2" x 2" gauze pads and med tape, or the clingy thing used when holding a small bandage on (looks like ace bandage but is knobby and stretchy and comes in colors)

IIRC, once a burn/irritation is cleaned, it needs to be kept sterile. It would help to put cream on then gauze then tape...and let it soak in and not get dirty. (not like he's going to stick his hand in dogshit, right?)

Yes, documented, even if it's a doc in the box kind of place. Get it done, and get reparation from the state.

Cutenoob
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I would contact your state OSHA immediately and file a complaint. OSHA-Occupational Safety and Health Administration. If for some reason your state does not have an OSHA, contact the federal one.

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
              re: interstitial
              Yay new vocabulary! I called it 'pus' because it was oozing out of his skin like sweat or water and was clearish, and it hadn't even formed a blister yet when I saw it. Is this fluid in meat that gets cooked too?
              I'm kinda glad that the burn cream I got had pain relief in it anyway, as well as antibiotics. It wasn't neosporin, but specifically 'for burns'. Difficult to find without, actually, unless you count aloe vera. Is AV good on burns in general?
              Yes, though it mixes with blood in the meat so it doesn't look clear unless the meat is so overcooked that the blood congeals. Serous fluid is another term for it.

You don't want to put any kind of cream or lotion in a burn where the skin has broken unless instructed to do so by a doctor. Aloe vera is not something you want in an open wound, but it's great for a first degree burn. Neosporin is usually OK because it lubricates the wound.

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
              Please also supply him with 5 or 6 2" x 2" gauze pads and med tape, or the clingy thing used when holding a small bandage on (looks like ace bandage but is knobby and stretchy and comes in colors)

IIRC, once a burn/irritation is cleaned, it needs to be kept sterile. It would help to put cream on then gauze then tape...and let it soak in and not get dirty.
              If the skin is broken, I would avoid gauze pads because the cotton will stick to the wound and make it hard to change. Sterile water can be used to loosen it if that happens.

For burns or other oozing wounds I prefer Tefla or the store brand equivalent non-stick dressing, and then wrap it in kerlex or gauze wrap and tape (gives the wound some padding in case you bang it against something).

If you use Coban to keep the dressing in place, please be very careful. It is sticky and tends to bind very tightly . . . it can cut off circulation to the wound which delays healing and can cause necrosis (tissue death). Make sure you don't wrap it too tight.

Once a scab forms, remove the dressing and leave it open to air so it can heal.

Most wounds can be washed in soap and water (check with your doctor about cleaning the burn) once a day, and allowed to air dry before putting a fresh dressing on it. I avoid hydrogen peroxide because it kills living tissue and delays healing. Plus it burns like crazy. Ditto for alcohol.

Good luck!
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                3 degree is when you need skin grafts.
                Just a quick note, but 3rd degree burns also differ greatly in first aid response. It is generally suggested to immediately call for help, and only cover the wound in a moist (not wet!), clean cloth or bandage. If on a limb, raise that limb above the rest of the body until help arrives. Due to the nature of the burn, you can't soak it in water or run water over it. The bits that run temperature control get damaged in that kind of a burn, and you can send the body temperature crashing with too much water contact. The moist bandage is more to try and lessen infection chance than anything else. Never use any gels or creams on a third degree burn, unless directed by a professional.
                Last edited by Geek King; 11-09-2010, 04:06 PM.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Excellent information here from people who obviously know what they're talking about. Thanks, you guys! CS is educational!
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                    Yes, though it mixes with blood in the meat so it doesn't look clear unless the meat is so overcooked that the blood congeals. Serous fluid is another term for it.

You don't want to put any kind of cream or lotion in a burn where the skin has broken unless instructed to do so by a doctor. Aloe vera is not something you want in an open wound, but it's great for a first degree burn. Neosporin is usually OK because it lubricates the wound.

If the skin is broken, I would avoid gauze pads because the cotton will stick to the wound and make it hard to change. Sterile water can be used to loosen it if that happens.

For burns or other oozing wounds I prefer Tefla or the store brand equivalent non-stick dressing, and then wrap it in kerlex or gauze wrap and tape (gives the wound some padding in case you bang it against something).

If you use Coban to keep the dressing in place, please be very careful. It is sticky and tends to bind very tightly . . . it can cut off circulation to the wound which delays healing and can cause necrosis (tissue death). Make sure you don't wrap it too tight.

Once a scab forms, remove the dressing and leave it open to air so it can heal.

Most wounds can be washed in soap and water (check with your doctor about cleaning the burn) once a day, and allowed to air dry before putting a fresh dressing on it. I avoid hydrogen peroxide because it kills living tissue and delays healing. Plus it burns like crazy. Ditto for alcohol.

Good luck!
                    I was talking about after the drain, but skin still on.

I had some serious road rash, and had to air that out.
                    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

This really needs medical attention. Second degree burns can EASILY get infected if not taken care of. These are the instructions that I was given for my burns.

Clean the area twice a day. Use anti bacterial soap and lightly scrub the area with a gauze pad. This will remove the dead skin. Try to avoid breaking the blister. They will open and drain soon enough. Ultimately, you will be scrubbing the top off the blister.

I was prescribe 1% silver sulfadiazine cream (It looks like it might be available OTC). Use a clean tongue depressor to scoop out a small amount. Spread it around. Apply it like you would butter, not like icing. Do not "double dip." Use the other end of the depressor or a clean one. Cover the area with a gauze pad. Then loosely wrap the area with a gauze roll. Secure with a tab of tape.

If there is burns between the fingers, drape a gauze pad over each finger. Make sure the fingers do not touch.

If someone is assisting in the cleaning and application, they should wear sterile gloves.

4x4 Gauze pads. Buy a box of 100, you are going to need them.

Keep it dry. Keep it clean.

It will take about six weeks for this to heal. Even then, the skin care easily be damaged. It will be about 8 - 9 weeks before the skin toughens up.

Beat Xavier senseless. He should not be working around grease with that injury.
                      Last edited by csquared; 11-09-2010, 11:42 PM. Reason: Typo
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                        Beat Xavier the manager senseless. He should not be working around grease human beings with that injury stupidity.
                        Fixed that for you.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                          I was prescribe 1% silver sulfadiazine cream (It looks like it might be available OTC).
                          SSD is not legally available OTC in the United States. There are a few places selling it as such, but if the FDA or the Board of Pharmacy in their state gets wind of this, they will be busted for selling legend drugs without prescription.

Comment

Burn first aid:

If the skin is intact, stick the burn under cold-but-not-chilled running water as immediately as possible. Some of the flesh is cooked; you're trying to draw as much heat as possible out of the wound before any more gets cooked.

If the skin blisters at all, wait until the flesh is completely normal-temperature, then another ten minutes at least, then go to a doctor. If it doesn't, but looks worse than a trivial sunburn, go to a doctor, pharmacist or nurse practitioner.

If the skin opens, DO NOT put it under the running water. Call emergency, and obey their instructions. An ambulance will be on its way as soon as emergency hears 'burn' and 'open skin' in the same sentence.

For any burn worse than trivial (ie, any that has blistered, or develops blisters, or is worse than a light sunburn), get professional medical advice on ongoing treatment.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

The time that I had blisters from a serious scald, the doctor saw me, asked me a few questions, gave me a prescription for pain pills and sent me on my way.

Which, to be honest, is almost precisely what I was expecting and was the perfect response for my particular situation.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

and i'd also recommend calling the health board anyway
                                because he was ordered to work after that kind of injury.

hope something can be done about the manager.
                                some people have no right to be in charge of other humans if they're that stupid and abusive

Comment

Working...
                                X