Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm in ur lot, towin ur kars and hurtin ur feelins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth mhkohne View Post
    Ok, sothis brings a question to mind:
    Is it actually possible to get a DL if one is illiterate? I honestly have no idea. If not, why? Most traffic signs in the US are pictorial, so I'm not sure that's a restriction.
    About 30 years ago I worked with a man who was totally illiterate. He did have a DL, after failing the written exam more than a few times he had finally memorized the test and passed.

He was a nice guy and a good driver but boy, that still worried me. And he was _not_ allowed to drive a company truck...

Comment

Love your thread title, Arga.

Comment

Most signs are pictorial, but there are plenty written in words - and some of those, due to their relative rarity, are actually the most important. Such as "BRIDGE OUT" or "FLOODING". Even some permanent signs are written in words, particularly speed limits and relatively unusual hazards.

For that reason, if I ever get around to learning to drive in *this* country - having missed the chance to do so in the UK - I'll have to learn to read enough Finnish to understand all of the standard road signs and be able to take reliable guesses at the non-standard ones. I'm reasonably sure that would be part of the driving course (as there are some driving schools here which specifically offer classes to English speakers).

One thing that *is* part of the driving tests throughout the EU is an eyesight test. The standard test, administered during the first lesson and at the beginning of the test proper, is to read a vehicle's number plate (which is in a standard font style and size) at a set distance (which is far enough to uncover even mild myopia if uncorrected). This test can also be conveniently administered at the roadside by police if they have doubts about a driver's eyesight. But I suspect that a true illiterate would have trouble with this test regardless of their eyesight.

With that said, a courteous illiterate driver is undoubtedly safer on the road than an aggressive and self-centred driver who can read perfectly well.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
          I'll have to learn to read enough Finnish to understand all of the standard road signs...
          ALTO = smoke a big doobie
          [/Fat Freddy]
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth suburbandecay View Post
            Hell hath no Fury like Christine?
            I don't know about that, but I do agree with the original saying.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman."
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
              Is it actually possible to get a DL if one is illiterate? I honestly have no idea. If not, why? Most traffic signs in the US are pictorial, so I'm not sure that's a restriction.
              I drive by plenty of signs every day that are not pictorial at all, and they are the ones that have information that change every day. For example there is one big one that will inform the driver of construction with a lovely reminder that if you speed in a construction zone there is a very nice, fat fine you're going to get. It'll also tell you the times, or if there is dynamite/blowing up stuff going on.

There are also often traffic warnings and advisories, sometimes stating "You will need to detour!" If someone can't read and they get detoured... they'll probably end up very, very lost.
              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                I don't know about that, but I do agree with the original saying.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman."
                Well, actually, it's "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

Which, as we all know, is nothing compared to the fury of a woman who's been cheated out of tricks or treats.

Re: the OP, I suspect that even illiterate drivers eventually learn to recognize certain words, such as "no parking". If that guy really couldn't read, he would likely be too embarrassed to admit it anyway.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  I like my version better.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Hey, You just saw me,
                    And this is crazy,
                    ButI have no permit,
                    So tow me, maybe?
                    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                      With that said, a courteous illiterate driver is undoubtedly safer on the road than an aggressive and self-centred driver who can read perfectly well.
                      And illiterates are pretty unlikely to text while driving too.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        Actually, actually it's: "(Heav'n has no rage like love to hatred turn'd) Nor hell a fury like a woman scorn'd." "Music has charms to sooth a savage breast (to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak)" is from the same Congreve play.

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                          Many of the more common ones are, but there are tons that are not pictorial, or not totally pictorial. Plenty of those yellow and black diamonds, some with pictures, but many with words, often different words. Not to mention exit signs (you do need to know the difference between "Baseline Avenue" and "Camelback Road" if you want to know where you're going) and, of course, speed limit signs. Not to mention digital warning signs that are on many major or even non-major freeways ("jackknifed flaming 18 wheeler ahead, so slow the fuck down!").

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          Jay's version may be less accurate regarding the original phrase, but is far more accurate when it comes to reality.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                            Hey, You just saw me,
                            And this is crazy,
                            ButI have no permit,
                            So tow me, maybe?
                            I LOVE it!

However, in keeping with the original syncopation of the song (of which I am unfortunately WAY too familiar) shouldn't it be:

Hey, you just saw me,
                            And this is crazy,
                            I have no permit,
                            So tow me, maybe?

The third line has 5 beats or syllables, your version has 6. (But I'm not a nerd or anything! I Swear!!)
                            Last edited by Teefies2; 12-02-2012, 04:25 AM. Reason: additional information

Comment

As a sometimes write of parody lyrics, I appreciate and understand your attention to detail.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Those idiots deserve a really small violin playing in the background while a clown laughs their ass off...lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X