This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This made no sense ...

So I'm trying to give away a DVD player on Kijiji (classified ad site in Canada, although I think a version of it exists in the U.S.)

Picked a recipient. Have had trouble connecting with him. There were a couple of emails and then silence. I emailed him Friday and asked if he still wanted it and said I could be home at anytime on the weekend. Heard nothing all weekend, then got an email Monday saying, "Here's my phone number, pls text me when I can come get it."

My thought ... if you could email me to ask me to text you, why didn't you just propose a time and day to pick the dang thing up??

I'm seriously thinking of picking another recipient.

Thoughts?

you're giving it away free it sounds like. he could at least act more accommodating.

perhaps another recipient would have better manners

Comment

This is the paranoid me talking.

Let whoever you intend to sell it to either set the time they want to come to your place to get it OR set a time that you and a friend will go to them to give it to them.

Giving away your schedule of "this is when I will be home" is telling a potential thief when you will not be home.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
        This is the paranoid me talking.

Let whoever you intend to sell it to either set the time they want to come to your place to get it OR set a time that you and a friend will go to them to give it to them.

Giving away your schedule of "this is when I will be home" is telling a potential thief when you will not be home.
        I'll second that. If he can't be bothered with reading comprehension or actually working with you to set a time (instead of making you do all the work), give it to someone else.

Also, set the meeting to hand it over in a parking lot or whatever rather than at your place, if you want some added security. A nearby school or supermarket, for example.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

You know, he could just be trying to leave it up to you for your convenience.

You could always text him the location of the nearest police station parking lot and a time when you can be there. If he hasn't got your address, he can't go break into your house.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

So far I've responded to maybe half a dozen requests for the thing -- never heard back from any of 'em. Tomorrow it's going either to St. Vincent de Paul or Goodwill (StVdP usually doesn't take electronics ...)

Comment

What I've always found amusing is I've known several people who had a large item, like a sofa or table, that they wanted to get rid of. They put it at the end of their drive with a "free" sign on it, and it just sits there. They then put a "for sale, $10" sign on it, and low and hehold, within 24 hours, someone "steals" it.

I really believe that some people think that anything someone is giving away must be of no value.

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I like that idea! Will have to keep it in mind. Unfortunately it's not practical ATM as I live in an apartment building and they would not look kindly on people putting stuff at the end of their driveway with signs on it, LOL.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                  I really believe that some people think that anything someone is giving away must be of no value.
                  They probably figure there's a reason you want to get rid of it and if you're not even asking for money it's gotta be bad
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                    I like that idea! Will have to keep it in mind. Unfortunately it's not practical ATM as I live in an apartment building and they would not look kindly on people putting stuff at the end of their driveway with signs on it, LOL.
                    Put it on Craigslist with a low-ish price and then let someone talk you down on it.

They're more likely to want something when they think they're getting it for less than it's worth to someone else than if it has no perceived value.

This is the same sort of psychology that gets people to more for name brand items "on sale" than for the generic version of the same item.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Never thought of Craigslist, Andara. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X