This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geronimo! (And Don't Panic!)

In just a few hours, I'll be jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with my favorite niece, Dragon. And today I am 42, which means, as my little sister so astutely pointed out, I am apparently the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. That being said, if on the way down I see a whale or potted petunia falling along with us, I might just worry that the excrement is about to strike the air circulator!

(EDITED TO ADD: If you don't see any posts from me in the next few days, you'll know that the jump went fine, but somehow I screwed up the landing...SPLAT!)
    Last edited by Jester; 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Saw the OP title. Assumed erroneously that it had to do with the Eleventh Doctor and Douglas Adams.

Was somewhat disappointed.

Just be careful, Jester! Gravity, man. It's not just a good idea-- IT'S THE LAW.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Wow.

Have a great time!

Comment

Some people would ague with you that there is such a thing as a "perfectly good airplane." At least you will be prepared.

Happy landings!
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Don't forget to miss the ground!
          (nice lil Douglas Adam's reference for you)

Comment

Two words: FUCK YEAH! Freakin' awesome. Far beyond anything I've ever done, and I've done a few things in my time.

And while everyone said I'd be nervous and/or scared, at least when it came to stepping up to that open door, I really wasn't, as I was so ramped up, jazzed, stoked, whatever you want to call it.

The ONE thing that made my stomach jump had nothing to do with ME jumping, but watching my niece fall out of that doorway before me....THAT was a bit of a "What the hell have I done?" moment?

I will be posting the video and/or pictures to here sometime this weekend.

And while everyone knew I was doing this, I made a point of not telling my very nervous and very anti-airplane mother, who has not stepped foot on an airplane for any reason in about 17 years. I knew she'd be worried as hell, as that is her nature. And she proved it....when I finally told her, AFTER I was back on the ground, her response, after an unintelligble "Whusa?" was, "Why would you DO that?"

I can't wait for my next one....who's gonna join me plummeting to earth at 120 miles an hour?

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            Was somewhat disappointed.
            And usually I only disappoint women!

Just be careful, Jester!
            Hell no! If I wanted to be careful, I wouldn't be jumping out of functional airplanes!

Gravity, man. It's not just a good idea-- IT'S THE LAW.
            One of the local legendary musicians in Key West makes a similar comment, about when he used to do roofing, he discovered that gravity wasn't just a suggestion...it's the law.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            Don't forget to miss the ground!
            (nice lil Douglas Adam's reference for you)
            Yep. My niece's father made the same comment to me on facebook.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Woot! Glad you liked it :

I got my 'bird turds and idiots' certificate way back when I was dating a seal, I would love to join you but I am too fragile now for the landing

Are you going to try parasailing next? You don't have to go anywhere, they do it in the Keys
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                That being said, if on the way down I see a whale or potted petunia falling along with us, I might just worry that the excrement is about to strike the air circulator!
                Oh no, not again.

Edit: I'm glad you had fun.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Did I read this right? Is today your birthday?

Congrats on making your jump.

Comment

Happy Birthday, Jester! That's an awesome way to spend it.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Happy Birthday Jester! Sounds like you had a hell of a time.
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Happy (late) birthday. I only once jumped out of a fully functional plane, and that was with a very angry 5'6" tall wall of muscle yelling at me and several other people. How we were going to jump, or they were going to throw us out..and it was our choice.

It is a thrill like no other, and I would need a refresher course as this was 20 years ago..but not sure I have the guts now either. Especially since I don't have to worry about doing pushups till Armageddon should I fail to relinquish the questionable safety of that fully functional plane.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          I would love to join you but I am too fragile now for the landing.
                          I dunno, darlin', I am sure they have ways to accommodate your situation and make it easier for you.

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          Are you going to try parasailing next? You don't have to go anywhere, they do it in the Keys
                          I've done parasailing. Did it on my 40th birthday, actually. And even then, it was nice, and serene....but after skydiving, it seems almost downright boring.

Going parasailing after going skydiving would be like learning to drive a racecar, and then pedaling around on a tricycle.

Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
                          Did I read this right? Is today your birthday?

Congrats on making your jump.
                          You did, and it was. And thanks!

Quoth Mytical View Post
                          It is a thrill like no other, and I would need a refresher course as this was 20 years ago..but not sure I have the guts now either.
                          You should absolutely do it. To quote a killer bumper sticker I saw on a car outside the jump site, "Fear is temporary. Regret is permanent."

Still A Customer."

Comment

To my friends who think I'm nuts for jumping out of an airplane for the first (but not the last) time yesterday:

Jumping with me was my 18 year old, 5'1", 100 lb. niece.
                            My 4'11", 100 lb. little sister is already planning her first jump.
                            And I have my 80 year old stepfather half-convinced to do his first jump.

So, to these friends that say they won't do it...what was your excuse again?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              To my friends who think I'm nuts for jumping out of an airplane for the first (but not the last) time yesterday:

Jumping with me was my 18 year old, 5'1", 100 lb. niece.
                              My 4'11", 100 lb. little sister is already planning her first jump.
                              And I have my 80 year old stepfather half-convinced to do his first jump.

So, to these friends that say they won't do it...what was your excuse again?
                              I would be more nervous about your stepdad, jumping can be hard on the body and fragility can sneak up on a person. I won't jump again because I know what I can do to my body misstepping while walking across a perfectly flat floor, I don't need any more broken parts.

But it is a hell of a rush =)
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                              X