This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coupon capers

For whatever reason, many customers can't seem to read the fine type on the bottom portion of the coupons for the Restruant. They simply see the bold letters "FREE DINNER" and assume that there are no stipulations about the offer. It sucks, but you're only supposed to use these coupons on Monday through Friday. If you use them properly, you can get up to $7 off of your meal.

Now, I'm not the one making up the rules...but that doesn't stop the SC from coming to attack me. Here are some awesome coupon-related conversations that I have had to deal with.....on a daily basis.

Seven bucks Isn't Enough!

Enter pissed off middle aged woman. (PW)
    PW: *thrusts coupon onto counter* I want my free dinner!
    ME: Okay.....*takes coupon from woman and takes $7 off of her ticket, as coupon says.* With the discount, the new amount is $xx.xx.
    PW: *looks around the counter at the computer screen* That can't be right! That can't be correct! How much did you take off?!?
    ME: The amount specified on the coupon, it says up to $7 can be taken off of your meal. You had a steak, which was $12. 95, so I took off the maximum amount that the Resturant allows.
    PW: What!? How dare you! It says I get my WHOLE meal for free!
    ME: I'm sorry...? (I'm thinking: I'm sorry you didn't read the damn thing!)
    PW: You're going to make me pay for my husband's meal?!
    ME: ...Yes. You still got the full discount, which makes his meal only $xx.xx and your bill $xx.xx. The coupon will only take $7 off the ticket because that's how the computer is set up.
    PW: I need to see your manager!
    ME: *rolls eyes*
    HL (the manager who doesn't take shit from anybody): What's wrong today, ma'am?
    PW: *proceeds to complain like a pro*
    HL: *proceeds to shoot PW down, citing company policy*
    PW: Well, I will never be coming back!
    HL: Good, next time read the coupon entirely before you make a scene!

Score: cloudiko 1, SC 0

What? This only works on Monday thru Friday? WTF?!

OL: Old woman. Has a cane, pretty sure she beats children with it. Was as snide as hell to me.
    ME: Poor sap at the register again.

ME: Your total is $xx.xx, please ma'am.
    OL: Oh, well I have this coupon you see...*digs in old lady purse, pulls out a damp coupon for a discount up to $7.00*

(Note: I already knew this was going to spell trouble)

ME: Okay ma'am, but did you know this coupon is only valid Monday thru Friday?
    OL: WHAT?!?!? *looks stunned* It never said that before! What happened?
    ME: That's always been the company policy, actually. You can only get the full discount during the week, rather than on the weekends. If you want to use it today, I can take off $3.
    OL: It didn't used to be that way! Where does it say that?!
    ME: *points at obvious yellow lettering that reads "valid from 8am to 12 midnight, and full discount avalible M-F"* Right here.
    OL: WHAT?!
    ME: I'm sorry, it says that twice on the coupon and everything. I know it's kind of small print.
    OL: *glares daggers* Just because I'm old doesn't mean I can't see!
    ME: Um...that wasn't what I was inferring. I just was letting you know you wern't the only one that had missed it.
    OL: I'm not? Are other people as angry as me about this?
    ME: Not really, they just either kept the coupon or used it for the $3 weekend discount.
    OL: If you can take off three dollars, why can't you take off all $7?
    ME: I'm sorry, company policy.
    OL: *snatches coupon out of my hands* Well, I don't care for your company policy or your attitute, miss.
    ME: I can't change the policy, ma'am. And I will not take off the whole amount simply because I can't. I will get in trouble. It isn't an issue of attitude. Did you want to go ahead and get the $3 discount today?
    OL: *glares* NO!
    ME: Okay, it will still be $xx.xx.
    OL: *mumbles to herself, then hands me the money.*
    ME: Thanks and have a pleasant day! *walks away from till*

Score: cloudiko 2, SC 0

SO, I want 10 Lemon Meringue Pies and 10 of those free coupons

Just a bit of backtracking:
    The Resturant for a brief (and painful) time was handing out free coupons for free meals. They would pop out of the computer at random intervals, and would often be a source of much customer-related happiness. Each one had the standard Resturant cap of a $7 discount on any meal, and people were glad to get them.
    However, some people believed we could control who did and didn't get a computerized coupon.....and here comes the story of Stupid Lady. And yes, she was attracted by my favorite pie....the lemon meringue!

SL: stupid lady
    ME: the one trying not to laugh at her

SL: I would like ten lemon meringue pies and ten of those free coupons you give out.
    ME: Ten pies? *looks surprised*
    SL: Yes, and ten of your free coupons.
    ME: We don't give out free coupons, ma'am.
    SL: *gets irrational and in my face* Yes you DO! You give them out all the time whenever my husband and I come in, and because I'm ordering ten pies I want my ten free coupons!
    ME: We don't give out free coupons, I'm sorry. (it took me a minute to realize she was talking about the computerized coupons, and then I realized this was going to become messy)
    SL: Damnit! *slams hands on countertop* Yes you DO! Stop lying to me! I want to see a manager!
    ME: Right...because I would lie to you about something like that. But I will go get the manager and he can gladly relay the same information to you.
    SL: Damn straight you will.

I proceed to get my manager and explain that this woman expects me to magically procure ten coupons from the computer...when they pop out at random times! He heads to the front and this is a part of their conversation:

MM: Mr. Manager, who also doesn't take shit from anyone
    SL

SL: That girl over there has no idea what she's talking about! I want my ten pies and my ten free coupons!
    MM: Ma'am, we don't hand out coupons. They come randomly from the computer. Sometimes you will get them, and other times you don't. We can't control that.
    SL: I WANT MY COUPONS!
    MM: You aren't going to get them, because we can't give you coupons for pies. Plus, we can't control the computer system.
    SL: YES YOU CAN!
    MM: No, we can't. (It's obvious he's trying not to laugh)
    *MM proceeds to explain the computerized coupon process to the lady again, but she isn't having any of it*
    SL: So you mean to tell me I can't have any coupons?
    Me: *tries to bang head against the pie case*

Needless to say, SL was sufficiently silence by MM...left without her beloved lemon meringue pies and her coveted FREE COUPONS. Scratch another victory for me...they're so few and far between that I have to keep track.
    check out my new blog!!!!

http://pitofdespairblog.blogspot.com/

feel free to comment/send me the links to your blog!

Ilove your manager.... i wish he was mine, so i could feed him cookies and shower him with love!!!

also i love how you dealt with the costumers

*gives cloudiko a giant cookie*

Comment

Why do people always expect companies give out free stuff all the time?

Don't people realize that companies are there to make money, not kiss people's asses.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

And the Hat trick to you ck!
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post

*gives cloudiko a giant cookie*
          Thank you!!! I love giant cookies!
          check out my new blog!!!!

http://pitofdespairblog.blogspot.com/

feel free to comment/send me the links to your blog!

Comment

Also, the idea of free/discounted stuff/promos is to attract the good, honest customers into also coming in and buying stuff. It's not for damn freeloaders.

Comment

Quoth cloudiko View Post

Seven bucks Isn't Enough!

Enter pissed off middle aged woman. (PW)
              PW: *thrusts coupon onto counter* I want my free dinner!
              ME: Okay.....*takes coupon from woman and takes $7 off of her ticket, as coupon says.* With the discount, the new amount is $xx.xx.
              PW: *looks around the counter at the computer screen* That can't be right! That can't be correct! How much did you take off?!?
              ME: The amount specified on the coupon, it says up to $7 can be taken off of your meal. You had a steak, which was $12. 95, so I took off the maximum amount that the Resturant allows.
              PW: What!? How dare you! It says I get my WHOLE meal for free!
              ME: I'm sorry...? (I'm thinking: I'm sorry you didn't read the damn thing!)
              PW: You're going to make me pay for my husband's meal?!
              ME: ...Yes. You still got the full discount, which makes his meal only $xx.xx and your bill $xx.xx. The coupon will only take $7 off the ticket because that's how the computer is set up.
              PW: I need to see your manager!
              ME: *rolls eyes*
              HL (the manager who doesn't take shit from anybody): What's wrong today, ma'am?
              PW: *proceeds to complain like a pro*
              HL: *proceeds to shoot PW down, citing company policy*
              PW: Well, I will never be coming back!
              HL: Good, next time read the coupon entirely before you make a scene!

Score: cloudiko 1, SC 0

What? This only works on Monday thru Friday? WTF?!

OL: Old woman. Has a cane, pretty sure she beats children with it. Was as snide as hell to me.
              ME: Poor sap at the register again.

ME: Your total is $xx.xx, please ma'am.
              OL: Oh, well I have this coupon you see...*digs in old lady purse, pulls out a damp coupon for a discount up to $7.00*

(Note: I already knew this was going to spell trouble)

ME: Okay ma'am, but did you know this coupon is only valid Monday thru Friday?
              OL: WHAT?!?!? *looks stunned* It never said that before! What happened?
              ME: That's always been the company policy, actually. You can only get the full discount during the week, rather than on the weekends. If you want to use it today, I can take off $3.
              OL: It didn't used to be that way! Where does it say that?!
              ME: *points at obvious yellow lettering that reads "valid from 8am to 12 midnight, and full discount avalible M-F"* Right here.
              OL: WHAT?!
              ME: I'm sorry, it says that twice on the coupon and everything. I know it's kind of small print.
              OL: *glares daggers* Just because I'm old doesn't mean I can't see!
              ME: Um...that wasn't what I was inferring. I just was letting you know you wern't the only one that had missed it.
              OL: I'm not? Are other people as angry as me about this?
              ME: Not really, they just either kept the coupon or used it for the $3 weekend discount.
              OL: If you can take off three dollars, why can't you take off all $7?
              ME: I'm sorry, company policy.
              OL: *snatches coupon out of my hands* Well, I don't care for your company policy or your attitute, miss.
              ME: I can't change the policy, ma'am. And I will not take off the whole amount simply because I can't. I will get in trouble. It isn't an issue of attitude. Did you want to go ahead and get the $3 discount today?
              OL: *glares* NO!
              ME: Okay, it will still be $xx.xx.
              OL: *mumbles to herself, then hands me the money.*
              ME: Thanks and have a pleasant day! *walks away from till*

Score: cloudiko 2, SC 0

SO, I want 10 Lemon Meringue Pies and 10 of those free coupons

Just a bit of backtracking:
              The Resturant for a brief (and painful) time was handing out free coupons for free meals. They would pop out of the computer at random intervals, and would often be a source of much customer-related happiness. Each one had the standard Resturant cap of a $7 discount on any meal, and people were glad to get them.
              However, some people believed we could control who did and didn't get a computerized coupon.....and here comes the story of Stupid Lady. And yes, she was attracted by my favorite pie....the lemon meringue!

SL: stupid lady
              ME: the one trying not to laugh at her

SL: I would like ten lemon meringue pies and ten of those free coupons you give out.
              ME: Ten pies? *looks surprised*
              SL: Yes, and ten of your free coupons.
              ME: We don't give out free coupons, ma'am.
              SL: *gets irrational and in my face* Yes you DO! You give them out all the time whenever my husband and I come in, and because I'm ordering ten pies I want my ten free coupons!
              ME: We don't give out free coupons, I'm sorry. (it took me a minute to realize she was talking about the computerized coupons, and then I realized this was going to become messy)
              SL: Damnit! *slams hands on countertop* Yes you DO! Stop lying to me! I want to see a manager!
              ME: Right...because I would lie to you about something like that. But I will go get the manager and he can gladly relay the same information to you.
              SL: Damn straight you will.

I proceed to get my manager and explain that this woman expects me to magically procure ten coupons from the computer...when they pop out at random times! He heads to the front and this is a part of their conversation:

MM: Mr. Manager, who also doesn't take shit from anyone
              SL

SL: That girl over there has no idea what she's talking about! I want my ten pies and my ten free coupons!
              MM: Ma'am, we don't hand out coupons. They come randomly from the computer. Sometimes you will get them, and other times you don't. We can't control that.
              SL: I WANT MY COUPONS!
              MM: You aren't going to get them, because we can't give you coupons for pies. Plus, we can't control the computer system.
              SL: YES YOU CAN!
              MM: No, we can't. (It's obvious he's trying not to laugh)
              *MM proceeds to explain the computerized coupon process to the lady again, but she isn't having any of it*
              SL: So you mean to tell me I can't have any coupons?
              Me: *tries to bang head against the pie case*

Needless to say, SL was sufficiently silence by MM...left without her beloved lemon meringue pies and her coveted FREE COUPONS. Scratch another victory for me...they're so few and far between that I have to keep track.
              Awesom story btw I can't believe the stupidity that goes on with some people on this website, This is what I think for each story

#1: It Says up to 7 dollars. You shouldn't be treated like a customer if you just barge in here wanting everything for free dammit.

#2: "valid from 8am to 12 midnight, and full discount avalible M-F" LOL just because I'm old doesn't mean I can't read she says, That's what the coupon says, no friggin excuses you old bag. I don't own the store as you can see so don't look at me like I do.

#3: I'm going to have to ask you to leave for not wanting us to do business with you and asking for free stuff.
              Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

Working...
              X