Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparently, I'm a cell phone technician!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently, I'm a cell phone technician!

So, my secret is out! I'm not really a lowly sales associate.... Oh no. Turns out, I'm a highly qualified cell-phone repair technician!

I learned this from one of my wonderful cell phone customers...(paraphrased because my memory is a tad off, plus it's too long already)

Mostly, I'm just amused by this whole exchange....

me: "Hello Sir, how may I help you today?"
    guy: "I'm about to throw this phone against the wall! It SUCKS! I have no service between X town and Y town. As soon as I cross over into Z town I can call fine! This phone has been nothing but problems since I've gotten it!"

me:" I'm sorry to hear that sir. How long have you had the phone for?"

guy: "It'll be one year next month"

me: (after verifying that this is accurate) Well, then Sir, it would seem your phone is still under warranty. Let me get you the phone number so you can call them and they will replace your phone."

guy: "Can't YOU do that for me?" (he used THAT tone of voice...)

me: "Actually, no I can't. The Warranty Department will want to speak with you directly"

guy: "Isn't that what YOU Get paid for? (rant, rant, rave)"

me: "Sir, they will want to speak with you, I cannot do it for you"

After some round and round and more ranting and raving, the manager suggests sending him to the service center up the road- I would have suggested this except they don't service the model phone he has. We send him anyway because at least he'll have a human to speak with...

Before he accepts this answer though....

Guy: "Well, why can't you just fix it? I want a good phone! What's a good phone?"

Me: "the warranty department will have to replace it for you, we do not do replacements in store"

Guy: "You're just passing the buck! What frequency does this model run at?(spews off some technical crap because apparently he has some electronic communications background or something)"

Me: "I just sell the phones, I have no idea what radio frequency they emit...or anything about repairing them."

Guy: "you people are technicians! you should know this stuff! You should be fixing it!"

Manager: "No...we're just the sales associates"

Guy: " No, you are technicians, you need to KNOW this stuff! What else are you here for?"

Me: "I just sell the phones- I don't fix them. Warranty Exchange can help you get your phone replaced, though."

Manager again explains that there are all sorts of different departments...
    Manager reiterates his option of calling the 800 number or driving to the service center...

guy: "well...ok. I guess I'll go there...but this is ridiculous! I never had this problem with [competitor] and I was with them for 5 years before switching to you! (rant rave, ask for directions...finally leaves!)

Alright, dumbshit- if you had [competitor's] service for 5 years and had no problems, why did you switch in the first place?

I'm not even going to get into how people come to the conclusion that because I sell the phones I know every technical detail about them. Yeesh.

And for the record- I COULD have called warranty exchange for him and put him on the phone with them in the store....but this guy came in with a "Holier Than Thou" attitude from the start. I wasn't about to keep him in the store any longer than I had to, apart from the fact that he would not have been grateful had I done so. I don't do favors for jackasses.

I'm just a salesgirl. What is so hard to understand about that?
    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Welcome to my Hell. Do you want the flaming lei or the one covered in scorpions?
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

gotta go with flames... Scorpions freak me out too much...

Although...I could sic the scorpions on the bad customers...
      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I have had so many calls like that in the past. I used to work the Warranty and Exchange dept for almost 6 years. Just a bit of advise, never tell a customer that Warranty will replace a phone. I was always told never advise a customer of what another dept will do. There may be something that causes us (warranty) to decline a warranty.

I used to argue with many a customer, because they were told what we would do, with no hassles.

Anyways, I miss the days that I got the silly calls and got to argue with customers.

I always loved the "you people" comments.
        Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

Comment

Gah. The "You people" comments really aggravate me. It is so disrespectful!

And you're right- I do try to watch my phrasing when transferring people to customer service or any other department. I don't remember my exact words to this guy, only that I was trying to tell him he was barking up the wrong tree. I did check the phone for damage before I sent him on his way. I always check for signs of physical abuse, and the obligatory spot check of the moisture indicator. At least, that way, I can be reasonably sure warranty will help them.

Comment

I deal with this on a nightly basis. Most of our field techs know that the dispatchers have no technical background (or a very limited one, in some cases) and are kind with their case notes. Some spew a bunch of technical jargon at you or want opinions on things I know nothing about, and they never want to wait for tech support or call back during normal business hours.

Granted, I've learned a lot in my time here, but mostly I'm just recognizing words or having a vague understanding of a system. As I told one tech tonight "I'd give you tech support, but my advice would be to give it a good swift kick, and I don't think the warranty covers physical damage."
            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Crazyredhead View Post
              I was always told never advise a customer of what another dept will do.
              I see the end effects of that constantly now.
              I've had a few calls where they'll start off with: "Baldy McMyCoworker approved the file before, why is it sitting in a counter-offer status now? It's gone down in price, up in FICO... etc... etc... etc... whine whine bitch whine."
              "Okay, asshole, here's the facts of life. Baldy McMyCoworker is not, I repeat, NOT, an underwriter. He hath no power (like a woman scorned...) to 'approve' files, he just forgot to update the status when your happy ass called in to get a rush on a file."
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                Welcome to my Hell. Do you want the flaming lei or the one covered in scorpions?
                Can I get a flaming scorpion lei?

I want to train them so that when Sucky Customers strike, I can sic my flaming attack scorpions on 'em!

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That's a good idea. Unfortunately, scorpions don't seem to like fire and keep dying. Must be a design flaw.
                  "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Let's take this exchange and see what it sounds like when applied to a different occupation:

"You should cook my meal! You're the cook!"
                    "No, I'm the cashier. He's the cook. He'll cook your meal."
                    "Isn't that what you get paid for?"
                    "No, I just take orders and hand out the food. I don't cook the food.
                    "But you're the cook!"
                    "No, I'm the cashier."
                    "You're just passing the buck!"
                    You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

[QUOTE=Andara Bledin;126055]Can I get a flaming scorpion lei?

QUOTE]

Simpsons reference time!

Marge: Now be good for Grampa while we're at the parent-teacher meeting.
                      We'll bring back dinner.
                      Lisa: What are we gonna have?
                      Homer: Well, that depends on what your teachers say. If you've been
                      good, pizza. If you've been bad... uh... let's see... poison.
                      Lisa: What if one of us has been good and one of us has been bad?
                      Bart: Poison pizza.
                      Homer: Oh, no! I'm not making two stops!
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

That's a good one SoFar

Comment

Alright, dumbshit- if you had [competitor's] service for 5 years and had no problems, why did you switch in the first place?
                          I wish you had asked him that!!!
                          Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                            Do you want the flaming lei or the one covered in scorpions?

I'll take the scorpion one!!!!

BlaqueKatt-who also works for a cell phone call center-yes I can hear you now-please shut up!!!!
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                              Hey, thanks! I'll take the flames... and can I get an application while I'm here? I hear the benefits and hours are great, and you get to torment the customers all you want!
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X