This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain of fools

My store is located on the corner of a very busy 4-lane street and a smaller side street. We have an entrance on the main street and another entrance on the side street. My install bay has a view of the side street entrance.

Recently the side street was closed off for construction. They had to close our entrance on that street while they pretty much rebuilt the whole roadway. Yesterday they completed laying down the new asphalt and removed most of their heavy equipment, but the street still hasn't been opened.

Our entrance on that street is closed off with large orange barrels. Yesterday, starting about an hour after they finished laying the asphalt, I watched people start to drive between the barrels to exit our parking lot onto the (closed) side street.

At one point a chain of six cars drove right through. One car would slow down, carefully squeeze between the barrels, and speed off while the next car in line took his turn. Car number six was a little bit too large to fit through, so the driver stopped, got out of his car, pushed a barrel off to the side, got back in and drove away.

A few minutes later an annoyed construction worker came back over and moved the barrel back into position. After a while I noticed that hazard tape had been strung between the barrels so there was no longer an open gap between them. I figured that would solve the problem.

Nope. The last thing I noticed before I left yesterday was that someone had pushed one of the barrels on the end out of the way so he could drive around.

Every one of these people would have to maneuver around still more gates and barrels to get back onto the main street or proceed down the side street.
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette
Working...
X