This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would have thunk????

A few days ago I accidently upgraded from Internet Explorer 10 to IE 11.

NOT a good thing on my machine for some reason. I did have internet connectivity BUT IE 11 would not connect. This also caused several of my defense programs to also not connect (Norton is now being pissy with a fatal error).

Tried FireFox. NOPE no web-browsing for me.

I finally uninstalled IE 11 and it brought back IE 10 and now all is good.

This is the first time I have ever had a problem with a Window update.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

That happened on one of my computers too. Somehow Windows Update turned itself to auto update (I always have software updates set to check, but never install without my say so.) I didn't think to look for rogue updates so I almost reinstalled windows before I found what had happened.

Comment

well that did not last long. I retreated to IE10 and a couple of days later the problem started again. I booted into Safe mode and started running scans with everything I get my hands on. most of my defense stuff found NOTHING so far.

I think I may have some malware that hides in my desktop shortcuts as the scanners (Norton Power Eraser) killed off 2 shortcuts that I have not used in ages and Hitman found a couple of rogue registry entries.

nasty word nasty word nasty word.

SO here I am stuck in Safe Mode w/networking and posting to the Bleeping Computer forums for advice again.

Comment

I almost never recommend this, but given your problems of a few months(?) ago, maybe it's time for a nuke 'n' pave?

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
          I almost never recommend this, but given your problems of a few months(?) ago, maybe it's time for a nuke 'n' pave?
          I am trying to avoid that option until things get to the point of last resort.

After hitting my machine (scan wise) with everything I was able to get my hands on, everything seems to working normally now. all scans are now clear and I will be running things more frequently for a while.

Comment

I narrowly avoided having to do a nuke'n'pave on a friend's laptop last week -- She had been hit by a BHO of the "downloader" variety that included search thingies out the wazoo and manifested itself as a "v9 toolbar/search site" hijacker. Naturally, our old friend Conduit was included in the mess. Took me about 5 hours worth of registry fiddling and scans via Spybot, Malwarebytes, antivirus and some other utility that finally nuked the last remnants to get rid of it all and keep her system intact.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

the ONLY thing that I can find "wrong" at this point is that one of the scans killed off/deleted my entire installation of Quake (the 2 desktop shortcuts described above were for GLQuake which I really have never used). fortuneately I do have an external backup and as Quake really does not change all that much over time I just copied from the backup and re-ran the scans.

EWWWW Conduit is a really nasty one to get rid of.

Comment

The scary thing is, the v9 thingy (which was better at disguising its name -- Conduit doesn't even bother) was MUCH more persistent than Conduit was.

For Conduit -- which I've had to deal with a few times -- you kill the process(es) you can ID, fix browser settings, delete the folders, and nuke a dozen or so registry keys.

For v9 (forgot its other names) -- all of that, and, WITHOUT rebooting (because it will just reinstall), it took me multiple scans of SB, MWB, and ObscureProgWhoseNameIForgot to kill it -- hopefully, for good. *crosses fingers*
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                X