This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed.

Here about the 9th or so of this month, I am going to need a ton of help. My computer's usb ports have taken to working only when they feel like.. so I got a much better (and interestingly enough much cheaper) computer. Everything BUT the hard disk memory space is superior to my old one. My old computer's hard disk space is much larger.. so I need to know how to/if it is possible to use my old computers hard disk space with my new computer.

Also, any wires, cables and such I need in advice would be great also.
    Last edited by Mytical; 07-04-2014, 04:50 PM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Assuming it's not a laptop, yes, you should simply be able to plug the old hard drive in to the new system (internally), if they both have the proper interface type (IDE or SATA, these days). You will then have access to both drives.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Can you give us a run down of the old computer and the new please? Laptops? Desktops? What is your current hard drive? What is your new one going to be? A model number from each would be VERY helpful.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        Can you give us a run down of the old computer and the new please? Laptops? Desktops? What is your current hard drive? What is your new one going to be? A model number from each would be VERY helpful.
        Ok Now I don't know much.. so I may need help finding these things. Both will be Desktops AMD E-450 Apu with Radeon HD Graphics (1.65 GHz). 4.00 GB memory. 911 GB (So I am guessing it was a 1TB hard drive space) (Current/to be old computer).

Integrated/On-Board Graphics
        Product Line:
        Optiplex
        Memory:
        4 GB
        Model:
        Hard Drive Capacity:
        80 GB
        Operating System:
        Windows 7
        Operating System Edition:
        Home Premium
        Processor Type:
        AMD Athlon 64 X2
        Optical:
        DVD/CD-RW (Combo)
        Processor Speed:
        2.30 GHz
        CPU Model/Type:
        AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+

New computer above.
        Last edited by Mytical; 07-05-2014, 05:54 AM.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Now I'm more confused.

"Both will be Desktops AMD E-450"

An e-450 is a notebook processor, iirc, but Optiplexes are desktop machines.

Assuming (based on the "both will be...") that you are just replacing a failing Dell with another of the same model, you'll have no problems whatsoever - you may even be able to throw your current hard drive in as the master and run through a few tweaks to be up and running. (Please, please, PLEASE - BACKUP TO ANOTHER MEDIA FIRST!!!)

In any case, just to be sure we're on the same page, what is your current machine - just the make and model, all those other specs are superfluous for now. The one with the failing USB ports, that you have your current hard drive in.

Then, what is the make and model of your new purchase, the one you will be moving into?

Comment

Cutting through the confusion a bit, I think (reading between the lines above) that the old computer is an Athlon 64 X2 with an 80GB HD, while the new one is an E-450 with a 1TB HD. That's a pretty big difference in age - and the 1TB disk is *much bigger* than the 80GB one.

E-450 based desktop machines do exist, at least in small form factors. It's a good choice for making a quiet basic-utility machine cheaply. However, some small-format computers have space for 3.5" drives while others only have 2.5" bays. At the same time, Athlon 64 X2 based laptops also exist.

More confusion: while the Athlon 64 X2 is much older than the E-450, it may well actually be faster. The E-450 has a pair of low-end 1.6GHz CPU cores, which are roughly equivalent to Athlon-XP CPUs of the same clock speed, while Athlon 64 cores were once AMD's high-end product, usually run at 2GHz or more, and are more efficient per clock than Athlon-XPs. However, the older "integrated graphics" would reverse that comparison when talking about games, since the E-450 is relatively good in that respect.

Putting all the clues together, my guess is that the Optiplex is a second-hand machine, just acquired by the OP as a replacement for the nominally-newer E-450 based machine, the latter having the failed USB ports. Hence the desire to move the 1TB disk into the Optiplex.

Luckily (if this is the case), all three case-options of the Optiplex 740 include internal 3.5" bays, one of which will be occupied by the 80GB drive (which can be removed if necessary). If the E-450's drive is a 2.5" unit, a simple and cheap mounting bracket will do the trick.
            Last edited by Chromatix; 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
              Everything BUT the hard disk memory space is superior to my old one. My old computer's hard disk space is much larger.. so I need to know how to/if it is possible to use my old computers hard disk space with my new computer.
              Quoth Chromatix View Post
              Cutting through the confusion a bit, I think (reading between the lines above) that the old computer is an Athlon 64 X2 with an 80GB HD, while the new one is an E-450 with a 1TB HD. That's a pretty big difference in age - and the 1TB disk is *much bigger* than the 80GB one.
              From what I've read, it looks like the Athlon 64x2 is the new computer, and the E-450 is the old one. Another thing to consider - what is the optical drive in the old machine? The new one has a combo drive (read and write CDs, but read-only for DVDs) - if the old one has a DVD burner, that should be transferred over too.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

To answer your question Mystical, as long as the case has a mounting bracket for the new drive, your power supply has the right power connection for the HDD, and you have a spare SATA connection on the motherboard of the new rig, you can easily swap it out. Just remember to do two things:

1. Format the hard drive before removing it. Two hard drives with Operating Systems on them in the same rig can cause all sorts of headaches. Best not to risk it.

2. Keep your data cable from the old one. No sense in going out to buy a new SATA cable when you don't need to.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I actually just forgot some punctuation. Both will be Desktops.

One is a AMD E-450 Apu with Radeon HD Graphics (1.65 GHz). 4.00 GB memory. 911 GB (So I am guessing it was a 1TB hard drive space) This is my current computer that will become my former computer. Below is the 'new' computer I will be moving too. This is an Acer Aspire.

Integrated/On-Board Graphics
                  Product Line:
                  Optiplex
                  Memory:
                  4 GB
                  Model:
                  Hard Drive Capacity:
                  80 GB
                  Operating System:
                  Windows 7
                  Operating System Edition:
                  Home Premium
                  Processor Type:
                  AMD Athlon 64 X2
                  Optical:
                  DVD/CD-RW (Combo)
                  Processor Speed:
                  2.30 GHz
                  CPU Model/Type:
                  AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+

THIS is the new one. However, it has become a moot point. My old Acer (sorry for the confusion) Hard drive is failing... not just my USB ports. So I will have to find a HDD for the above. The 'old computer' had the 1tb hard drive, the new one has a 80gb. So.. with the above information, what type of Hard Drive should I get to expand the poor 80gb memory?

Also can I bring over my better graphic card?
                  Last edited by Mytical; 07-09-2014, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                    what type of Hard Drive should I get to expand the poor 80gb memory?

Also can I bring over my better graphic card?
                    For the hard drive, you need one with an interface that matches the motherboard (most likely SATA, but possibility of being ATA), has a capacity within the limits of the BIOS, and a physical size that fits (or can be expanded to fit using an adapter) an empty bay in the case.

For the graphics card, you can only do it if it's a separate card (as opposed to being built into the motherboard) and the new motherboard has a free slot of the same type (PCI-E with the same multiplier factor, AGP, etc.) that the card uses.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Actually, PCI-E is *more or less* forward and backwards-compatible -- an 8x card in a 4x slot will run just fine, it will simply "talk" to the rest of the system at 4x speed. A 4x card should work in an 8x slot, but, again, at 4x speed, etc.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Actually, PCI-E is *more or less* forward and backwards-compatible -- an 8x card in a 4x slot will run just fine, it will simply "talk" to the rest of the system at 4x speed. A 4x card should work in an 8x slot, but, again, at 4x speed, etc.
                        In the technical sense that is true. There is a catch though. PCI-E speeds are determined by slot size (ie a 8x is twice the length of a 4x) and motherboard expansion slots are usually closed ended. So while you can put a 4x into an 8x with no problem, you won't be able to do the reverse without opening up the end of the slot which will at best void the warranty assuming you don't damage the slot.

The most common sizes are 1x for most expansion items and 16x for video cards primarily so it tends to be a moot issue. If the video card is a PCI-E based one (they usually have a hook at the end of the pin section) and your new board has a PCI-E x16 slot you should be fine to do so.

As for the HDD, something roughly 500 GB or 1 TB should work fine so long as the motherboard has the connectors (that generation should have SATA connectors and the BIOS using an emulated SATA firmware) and you have the cables for it.
                        I AM the evil bastard!
                        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I guess I'm lucky all four slots in my machine are full length (16x size)

Though only two of then run at full speed, the other two are 4x I think

Comment

Working...
                          X