Pigeon question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pigeon question

I think I wrote a while ago about a (thankfully small) infestation of bedbugs in my apt. ... they seem to be gone now but one of the fallouts from that was that I had to get a lot of stuff out of my unit very quickly. A lot of THAT is on my balcony ... and the resulting clutter has provided the perfect nesting place for a pair of wild pigeons. I've been following Heckle and Jeckle (the hatchlings) which hasn't been hard because the damn nest is right outside my balcony door.

I opened the door today ... and H and J are not on the nest. I hadn't looked in on them for a week so they must've gone through that last growth spurt REALLY fast (I'm 14 floors up so that eliminates a lot of predators).

What I want to know is: when can I start sweeping up the "nest" (quotation marks because ... well, anybody who's seen a pigeon's nest will know ) to convince Mom and Dad to go elsewhere? I do not want them laying another clutch of eggs -- at least, not on my doorstep. If they move to the other end of the balcony I won't be in such a hurry for them to leave, but I want them off my doorstep.

Update: ugh ... too late. Somebody (don't know if it's the same pair) just laid a single egg (second one no doubt to come) again ... right at the door.

I moved it. And blocked the spot where the new nest was. I see I am going to have to move quickly, and be outside often, if I want to make myself the "nuisance neighbour" to them.
    Last edited by Pixelated; 06-01-2021, 07:23 PM.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

We didn't receive any messages and I definitely did not shoot and eat this delicious plump-breasted pigeon....

And didn't we have Heckle and Jeckle working somewhere before-for one of our managers in a cigarette store in Australia I think it was...if my brain isn't conjuring up stories of its own?
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
      We didn't receive any messages and I definitely did not shoot and eat this delicious plump-breasted pigeon....

And didn't we have Heckle and Jeckle working somewhere before-for one of our managers in a cigarette store in Australia I think it was...if my brain isn't conjuring up stories of its own?

Heckle and Jeckle working in a cigarette store? Was that a cartoon I missed?

Ironically, I was trying not to harm them. Unfortunately, they WOULD persist in building nests right at the door. That space is now occupied by a dozen or so "bird spikes" ... won't hurt them but makes it nearly impossible for them to land.

The egg and the nest is still easily visible, but I think it's done for ... pigeons are very territorial when it comes to their nests.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I knew we had it somewhere!... Heckle and Jeckle and Max and Sam and Uncle Tom Cobley and all

Just as bad as seagulls. We had some set up a nest on a roof opposite our place.Whenever you'd go outside they'd start flying towards you and squawking..not having realized that they're on the opposite side of a 30 foot drop from you. And seagulls can fly but humans cannot.We try that,we plummet...
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
        X