Gotta brag a bit, I'm very proud of myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta brag a bit, I'm very proud of myself

In the past 16 months or so, I have lost 35 pounds. I've still got about that much more to go, but, I'm getting there!! It's fun rediscovering things I can do easily again. Getting up from the floor is a big one. Crossing my legs. Bending down to pick things up.

And my clothes are starting to fall off of me. That's a new thing. I've NEVER had to downsize my wardrobe before. Also, thank goodness for drawstrings in elasticated pants!! Been more than one time the past few months where that drawstring was the thing that kept my pants up.

"How am I doing it?" I hear you ask with breathless wonder. Simplest thing in the world, and the ONLY way that works that doesn't also involve surgery. Tracking what I'm eating, paying CLOSE attention to serving sizes (even going so far as to count out or weigh out servings), and cutting way, way, waaaaaaaaay back on sugar (and overall calorie intake). Also increasing my activity level some, but I utterly despise exercise purely for the sake of exercise and flatly refuse to "work out".

I still have my sweet treats and junk food snacks, just less of them. Less of them means less of me!
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

You certainly have something to be proud of. I have tried for many years, and it's damn difficult.

Comment

Brag away. You earned it.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Congratulations. I've lost 90 pounds myself, but it has taken 22 years. I now weigh what I did in 1978. I have used the same approach as you, watching my diet and not eating between meals. Keep up the good work.

(If you try doing the math, I'm 72.)
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
          In the past 16 months or so, I have lost 35 pounds. I've still got about that much more to go, but, I'm getting there!! It's fun rediscovering things I can do easily again. Getting up from the floor is a big one. Crossing my legs. Bending down to pick things up.
          Excellent work! Keep it up!
          Last edited by EricKei; 05-08-2021, 06:13 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            Congratulations. I've lost 90 pounds myself, but it has taken 22 years. I now weigh what I did in 1978. I have used the same approach as you, watching my diet and not eating between meals. Keep up the good work.

(If you try doing the math, I'm 72.)
            LOL I'd be dead (literally dead) if I ever got back down to my 1978 weight. I was seven years old that year.

I snack quite a lot, actually. Just have made meals and snacks all smaller, and try to make better choices about WHAT I eat. Lots of small meals and snacks spread throughout the day is easier to maintain than not snacking between main meals. You don't get nearly so hungry, and you don't have that low blood sugar slump, and it seems easier to get your body accustomed to eating less overall without feeling like you're starving yourself. My experience, anyway.

Oh, and one sneaky thing that trips people up sometimes. We talking about eating better, and people forget that beverages usually have calories, too. You have to account for those calories, as well. That's caused me to pretty much cut sodas out almost completely, since the diet versions will kill me (artificial sweeteners make me throw up violently and have very bad diarrhea, dunno if it's an actual physical allergy or intolerance or if it's all in my head since it encompasses ALL the sweeteners including stevia and monkfruit and I made myself sick on sugar-free fruit punch one summer when I was a kid). And if you CAN drink diet beverages, watch out with them, they make you crave actual sugar since the sweet taste prompts an insulin response.
            Last edited by Kittish; 05-08-2021, 05:44 PM.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Congratulations! You definitely deserve bragging rights!
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

You're doing it the right way, too. Slow and steady. I wish you the very best of success.

I need to get back on the portion control diet myself. I also look forward to the pool reopening, so I can do some swimming; that's one exercise that doesn't cause me pain.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                  In the past 16 months or so, I have lost 35 pounds.
                  Congrats!

Quoth Kittish View Post
                  I utterly despise exercise purely for the sake of exercise and flatly refuse to "work out".
                  That's me in a nutshell, but I started doing it anyway for the sake of Mrs Deserted.
                  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                  OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                  she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                  Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                  X