Line Loon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line Loon

So I was going on my break (20 minutes late thanks to a rush; another Shorthanded Sunday). I get some food, see that the SCO on the end has no line so jump in, lining up in the aisle like everyone does.

"EXCUSE ME!" There's a woman standing at a right-angle to me in the front aisle so I assume she wants to pass. Nooo...

SC: duh
    Me:

SC: "There's a line, you know."
    Me: "Yes, I am in line. See these red circles going down the aisles? This is where the line forms."
    SC: "No, the line is *gestures behind her, down the main aisle into the Frozen section by reg 1* here, behind me. The end of the line is somewhere on the other side of the store."
    There are a few people behind her, but it is in no way an organized line. There are two registers open at the other end, but they're busy. Those registers have proper lines.
    Me: "I work here, thank you. I think I know how things work. See these people in aisles 4 and 5 behind you? They are in line for the self-checks." As I'm talking, one of the sane customers steps in front of SC to the next SCO. Oddly, she ignores this and is fixated on me.

SC: "You are not special, you know! You have to wait in line like everyone else!"
    Me: "You know what? You're right. Nobody is special. I could have been cashed out and gone in the time it took to have this conversation." (I had considered simply going ahead, bu didn't want to risk a full-bore SC explosion)

SC is not backing down. She turns to the customers behind her with "Can you believe this?". They aren't biting.

I see S signal me and move toward one of the closed registers so I make my escape and duck under the chain. As he is ringing me up I hear SC continuing "Who does she think she is, cutting in line?" Again she gets no reaction.

S: "What the hell was that about?!"
    Me: "I have no idea. Every grocery store in the country has the same line format."
    S: "If she thinks she's gonna complain she won't get anywhere. The entire store saw that. And she's continuing to hold up everyone else for the SCOs, I see."

Most customers if they see an employee in line with one or two things will surmise that we are going on break and will allow us to cut in line (I always ask first if I see someone else approaching).
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-24-2021, 03:28 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

What a wonderful way to involuntarily waste precious break time.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
    X