I wish they'd denied him a credit card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    FWIW lads, lasses, and so on: Don't be afraid to file disputes if there's some bullshit on your account. It's on the CREDITOR to prove the legitimacy of the debt, generally speaking.
    VERY MUCH THIS!!

As I think I mentioned earlier, I got caught up in the housing bubble of the 2000s. It was one of those "only 5% down with a first and second mortgage" deals. I had to walk away from it when the payments skyrocketed after the first few years as I was unemployed at the time.

Several years later, I had a collection agency start hounding me about the second mortgage. I told them that it was a "no recourse" loan, that it basically was no longer valid because I had defaulted on the first mortgage and the property was seized. When they tried to argue with this, I asked them for proof of the validity of the debt--basically, their copy of the original loan. They didn't have it. I did, and they told me to send it to them. (HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Yes, let me give you a club so you can try to hit me with it!!)

What I sent them was a copy of part of the page that said it was a no-recourse loan. They stopped harassing me after that. I think they "forgot" to remove the hit on my credit report, so I contacted the Big Three agencies and did it for them.

If you ever do find yourself being contacted by a debt collector, remember to look up the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and remember that they have to prove that the debt is legitimate and is in fact your debt.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
      Come to find out that that morning, he had come in and gotten a cash advance to pay the credit card bill.

So he's paying his credit card bill with his credit card?
      Bad juju.

Comment

I completely sympathize with his wife. My ex-wife charged up about 100K dollars over a ten year period. When people ask me why I divorced, I simply tell them my wife considered credit cards to be a second form of income.

For years, she begged for us to declare bankruptcy. Kept telling me that she had friends at work who did it. But, just before they filed, they maxed out their credit cards. I still here her voice in my head, "... and they got to keep all the stuff they charged!!" She said it like it was cool.

The wife needs to run from this guy. Fast.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          And in the long run I had to get rid of the credit card because it was too easy to over-spend.
          That is exactly WHY they love to dole out credit limit increases to folks who don't go over.

Quoth EricKei View Post
          ...but hey, I'll take credit for it anyway as long as you're offering
          What? No love for my second unintentional pun in this thread? Tho, I guess if it was on purpose, it'd be pun-intentional.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            ... it'd be pun-intentional.
            Only if you were camp-ing.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
            X