This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This jerk should be banned (long)

So HEY, my long lost friends! Life has been relatively uneventful, which is kind of how I like my life going these days. This tale happened just this week and I present to you the first time I EVER got into it with a customer and "fought back".

Oh, yes, little ole me in the over *mumble* years I have been in customer service... It was cathartic and I'm still employed. I work at a mom and pop store that sells supplies for a specific trade in home improvement. Normally I am in the back slinging paperwork, but about 40% of my time is spent in the front of the store.

I was covering the register for another employee who was out on a delivery when in walks Assy McDirtbag. Now, this customer is an older man who looks, acts, and smells like the cook from a certain Canadian TV show from the 80s. Some of the younger readers may think "I Don't Know" what that show is, but seriously, kids, google it. You'll thank me later.

He has a history of talking down to women. I have had the displeasure of speaking to him over the phone on at least 2 occasions previously and had to ring him up in the store a couple of times as well. It's never a delight to see him. So yes, I was a little cagey when I saw him, but never rude and always kept a smile on my face even when he said something that he knew would offend me.

ANYway... he came in with an attitude and was pissed that it's me at the register and not the guy usually at the counter at that time of the day. He started bitching about not having enough of a certain product and I told him that we had an order that was due to come in soon. He makes a face and asked what he was going to tell HIS customer in a sarcastic tone. I just shrugged my shoulders and said again an order was coming in very soon.

Then he tried to break up a product that comes with a part 1 and part 2 and he got even more agitated that I wouldn't sell him half of the package.

The kicker was that after him acting like an ass the whole 15 minutes he was in the store, I asked him to... dun Dun DUN... pay for his purchases. This sent him into a rage of rages and he pushed the stuff on the counter toward me so that I had to quickly catch them before they fell off onto the floor. All the while exclaiming that I could put it where the sun don't shine (in not so gentlemanly language).

I pointed to the door and pretty much said "YOU CAN LEAVE" a few times while he starts screaming at me and cursing at me while heading toward the door.

Of course there were other customers there that I had to ring up after that who saw the whole thing. I apologized to them and sent them on their way. There was another employee there who also saw what happened.

I got the other employee to cover the register while I went somewhere private to call my boss. I wanted to get my side of the story to him before the customer called to complain slash lie about me. My boss said he would call him and I left it at that.

At the end of the day, my boss asked me to reiterate the story after he spoke with the customer. He also questioned the other employee. My boss did say he wanted to be fair to both sides and said I didn't have to serve him again.

That's the good part, I guess, because he's not banned which is what I would LOVE to happen... Kind of anti-climactic, but like I said I'm still working there so it felt good to sorta yell at him!

Let me guess: when there's a MAN at the counter, Assy McDirtbag is just as nice as pie and spends lot of money, so the boss doesn't understand the problem and wants to keep the customer.

I sure hope Assy McDirtbag doesn't have a wife or kids. There are more than enough sexist, mean jerks in the world.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Some of the younger readers may think "I Don't Know" what that show is

Auuhhh, I HEARD THAT!
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Auuhhh, I HEARD THAT!
        Then deny it!
        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          Let me guess: when there's a MAN at the counter, Assy McDirtbag is just as nice as pie and spends lot of money, so the boss doesn't understand the problem and wants to keep the customer.

I sure hope Assy McDirtbag doesn't have a wife or kids. There are more than enough sexist, mean jerks in the world.
          Yes, that's it exactly! Except he is not nice as pie, but the MEN can tolerate him being rude and evidently I have a thin skin.

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Auuhhh, I HEARD THAT!

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
            Then deny it!
            *looks at burger*

Uh, maybe I didn't hear that...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth lachesis View Post
              Yes, that's it exactly! Except he is not nice as pie, but the MEN can tolerate him being rude and evidently I have a thin skin.

That's infuriating.

Comment

Quoth lachesis
                Some of our younger readers may think I Don't Know what that show is....
                *looks up worriedly in case something horrible and slimy descends....
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Does that SC actually pay for enough to prevent a ban?
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                    *looks up worriedly in case something horrible and slimy descends....
                    Don't worry! It comes off with water. Oh no!

Comment

Muahahahahahahaha

Comment

I have an update!!

I am excited that I have an update and tl;dr, it's a positive one!

In the weeks since my encounter with Assy McDirtbag, he has been calling in his orders early in the morning before I get to work (I start later than the store opening) and having his guys pick up the order (yes, he pre-pays) later in the day. He has been dealing pretty much exclusively with the store manager.

Today the manager left early and I was covering the register. I saw the caller ID and almost didn't pick up until I put my bootstraps on and pulled a Call Center Trick by plastering a huge fake smile on my face before answering. I was shocked, SHOCKED, that when he heard my voice, he was like, "Hi this is Assy from Jerkwad Company. I need X cases of Product Y."

I said ok, that'll be "$Z.00" and he gave me his credit card info. I put the order together on a cart and he came in himself to pick it up! No sass, no crudeness, just a hello and an "Am I all set?" I said yep and he left with a "Have a nice day!"

...I don't know guys, did I wake up in a parallel universe?

Comment

Maybe he finally got on the right meds.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Maybe your manager gave him a dressing down and said that if he was ever anything other than polite to his staff then the customer would be denied service?
                            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                              Maybe your manager gave him a dressing down and said that if he was ever anything other than polite to his staff then the customer would be denied service?
                              It's quite possible. Many business owners are realizing that some customers are not worth keeping.

Comment

Working...
                              X