Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return new means it's like you got it.

I am amazed at how people will buy car parts and then return them because they "didn't need them".
    This is after their "mechanic", who works in a parking lot, got their greasy hands all over the parts, and after tearing the box open instead of just opening it. I have started refusing to take parts back that are dirty. I just tell them that they received a clean part and to return it, it needs to be clean and in condition that I could sell it to the next person in line.
    I love it when they get huffy and demand to speak to the store manager, I just reply "you are speaking to him".

Let me get this straight

1) The SC buys a vehicle part from your establishment.
    2) The SC has a parking lot mechanic opens the container and dirties the parts.
    3) The SC tries to return the now dirty (and likely unresellable) parts.

Is there something I'm missing here?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

That's what it sounds like. An equally likely scenario is that someone decided to fix up the rusty heap in their yard, bought a crapload of new parts...and then tried to return them when the deal didn't go through. Or, they decided to simply send the heap to the scrappie, and are trying to return things because they "don't need them." Either way, the parts are dirty as hell, the boxes ripped to shreds, and no way would they ever be in salable condition.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

And then there's the real geniuses that try to return the removed part in the box, claiming it's the same one they were given by the vendor... Um yeah, sure
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
          And then there's the real geniuses that try to return the removed part in the box, claiming it's the same one they were given by the vendor... Um yeah, sure
          A guy tried to 'defective return' an alternator he claimed we sold him.

1. The part had none of the identifying marks of the parts we sold.
          2. The part had very obviously been underwater. As in, it was caked with mud and muddy water was oozing from the case.
          3. No receipt
          4. While we couldn't technically 'prove' anything, the guy was known to everyone there as a con artist. He was always trying to run some slick game, and on more than one occasion he'd tried to run the change-game on one of the cashiers.

He spent 20 minutes trying to convince me he'd really just bought it two weeks ago, and when that didn't work, he actually attempted the 'bully' tactic. It was super-ineffective.

Comment

At Ye Olde Curtain Shoppe, we had a sucktomer try to return fabric she'd bought... after she'd cut it into panels, tried to sew it into Roman blinds, failed, ripped it out, sewn it again, failed, ripped it out, and generally mangled it.

She was rather upset when we said "no".

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
              A guy tried to 'defective return' an alternator he claimed we sold him.

1. The part had none of the identifying marks of the parts we sold.
              2. The part had very obviously been underwater. As in, it was caked with mud and muddy water was oozing from the case.
              3. No receipt
              4. While we couldn't technically 'prove' anything, the guy was known to everyone there as a con artist. He was always trying to run some slick game, and on more than one occasion he'd tried to run the change-game on one of the cashiers.

He spent 20 minutes trying to convince me he'd really just bought it two weeks ago, and when that didn't work, he actually attempted the 'bully' tactic. It was super-ineffective.
              Caked in mud and oozing water should be proof enough that it's not the original part.
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Valentinian View Post
                At Ye Olde Curtain Shoppe, we had a sucktomer try to return fabric she'd bought... after she'd cut it into panels, tried to sew it into Roman blinds, failed, ripped it out, sewn it again, failed, ripped it out, and generally mangled it.

She was rather upset when we said "no".
                At least she was told no. Old Manager at the fabric store once let a customer return some fabric... After the SC had made pants out of it. Not because of a flaw (though you should look at the fabric before you sew it) no, she returned it because she didn't like the pants.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                  Caked in mud and oozing water should be proof enough that it's not the original part.
                  Indeed. But, to be honest, even if I hadn't actually looked at the part, I'd have known his story was bullshit. Because the story was coming out of HIS mouth.

Comment

Above the parts counter at a place I used to shop was a sign

"If you bought it, but don't need it, you have a spare"
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Yes

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                      Let me get this straight

1) The SC buys a vehicle part from your establishment.
                      2) The SC has a parking lot mechanic opens the container and dirties the parts.
                      3) The SC tries to return the now dirty (and likely unresellable) parts.

Is there something I'm missing here?
                      Yes, also the box/container the part came in was torn open so even if the part is clean you no longer have the container with a ID number on it available.

Comment

Back when I had a Dodge Colt hatchback I discovered that the air filter recommended by the Fram catalog as fitting my car actually didn't, as it was too tall to fit into the filter housing. So, the next time I needed a filter I took the squashed filter from my car in with me, and explained that I didn't want a refund, I just needed a filter that fit. I also showed the clerk that the Fram catalog recommended the wrong filter for my car. Anyway, through some trial and error we found a Toyota filter that fit, so I kept the box flap for the new filter in my glove compartment. That particular auto parts store was very good, and never treated me as though I was a stupid woman, which was one big reason why I patronized it.

Comment

Working...
                        X