This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
    I don't understand why people will not listen to people they know are expert in a field.
    A lot of it is ego-driven. The rest is the old "I've been doing this X number of years, I'm not going to listen to some snot-nosed kid..." It's been my M.O. to simply sit back and watch the fun. In other words, if they're willing to waste their time/money/resources--and give themselves a heart attack in the process--by all means, let them continue.

For example, several years back, my dad insisted on going to a park near the county line to try out his metal detector. Since I'd never been there, and since he had some health issues, I went with him. Had I known then what I know now...but I digress.

Getting down there wasn't the problem, it was getting home that was the issue. Rather than simply exit the park the same way we drove in, he drove around looking for the remains of old foundations, or buildings that had been torn down. Got us all turned around, which wasn't helped by some of the roads either being closed...or not on the map. Rather than look for landmarks, or slow down so I could read the damn signs, he kept going.

After driving around in circles for a bit, we ended up somewhere along the river. I had a rough idea where we were, since I'd usually take the MG down there. All he had to do was turn left at the junction, and we'd have made it home in about 20 minutes. Not the best way to head home, because you'd be going through a residential (25mph zone with police everywhere) but doable. After making yet another wrong turn, I tried to tell him to head back to the river, make a left, and follow the signs for South Park.

He replied that I didn't know what I was talking about, and that I shouldn't tell him what to do. My reaction? Fuck you then, and went back to reading my magazines. More wrong turns, more bitching and moaning about being lost, etc. 2 hours went by before he pulled out his (seriously outdated) GPS, and attempted to plot his way home. Yes, you read that right--2 freaking hours went by--before using the GPS, which told him *exactly* what I did. Turn left at the light, follow the river north, merge onto the highway. As we're pulling in the driveway, I got to hear him bitch about wasting all that time
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I remember at the fabric store one time I saw a lady waiting and asked if she had a number. She said no, she was in line. I said, we don't have lines for fabric it's a number system, the lady was standing very close to the take a ticket machine and wouldn't have even needed to take one step to get one. But she said she didn't need one. I can't remember why I didn't help her, I think I was just going off the clock. When another CW came to the counter she helped the person who had the next number... NOT the lady who "didn't need" a number. Funny thing, sometimes the other customer will say "oh, you were here first!" But in this case the lady with the number did not make that offer. Why not listen and grab a number? You don't like getting told what to do I guess? Okay, just stand there and be mad while other people go ahead of you...
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

There's a auction site kind of like ebay that I'm debating selling on. But with the scammers and just a PITA I don't know. Good part is I'm on a closed FFL version of CS that we do list exactly who's stiffed us or was a scam or a PITA and we all blacklist them.

This weeks Suck,
        list gun on a local site
        Give a ok out the door $260 with tax and legal checks inc.
        I paid $230 (200 for the gun 30 for the BGC*) so really I'm making $10 I just want it gone and $$ for something more profitable.
        Dude thinks I should do it for $219 just because he's found them for that. Sure it's likely.
        He was just so offended I wouldn't take a loss to sell it to him.
        I sent a link to an importer said ok it's $199 this week, $20 for the second mag and $20 for hand select cond, plus shipping and STILL have the BGC fees and tax. So knock yourself out.

*background check
        Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 02-01-2018, 03:46 PM.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I'm perpetually puzzled by people who are puzzled by the notion that businesses don't want to lose money.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
            I don't understand why people will not listen to people they know are expert in a field.
            I've never understood that either. I worked at the Fabric Store for nearly seven years, and I've also done theater and historical costuming. So, I know fabric pretty well. Customers keep wanting to make costumes or other clothing with inappropriate fabric. I tell them no, you won't be happy with a shirt made from felt. You really don't want to make your costume out of burlap. Two yards of fabric is not enough to make that Southern Belle dress, unless you're making it for a newborn infant, maybe. And printed quilting cotton is not period for medieval garb. Don't pish-tosh me, I do know what the hell I am talking about! And don't blame me if you refuse to follow my advice and end up getting laughed at, or breaking out in a rash.
            Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            I remember at the fabric store one time I saw a lady waiting and asked if she had a number. She said no, she was in line. I said, we don't have lines for fabric it's a number system...Why not listen and grab a number? You don't like getting told what to do I guess? Okay, just stand there and be mad while other people go ahead of you...
            That's happened with me, too. And they always pitch a fit about it. I still smile about that jerk who got ticked off about having to wait so long because he didn't take a number. "How am I supposed to know we're supposed to take a number?! You need to hang a sign, right up...oh." He found himself pointing right at the "Now Serving" number sign!
            Last edited by XCashier; 02-01-2018, 06:43 PM.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I didn't even understand that whole NYC gun thing. NYC gun laws are tighter than NY State's gun laws? If so, how can that be legal? You actually have to get the NYCPD's permission to move your guns from place to place or take them out of state?

In South Dakota the individual towns and counties cannot pass gun laws that are more stringent then what are already on the State books. Which is why my hometown can't make it illegal to open/conceal carry a gun in the Civic Center no matter how many times they try.
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                I didn't even understand that whole NYC gun thing. NYC gun laws are tighter than NY State's gun laws? If so, how can that be legal? You actually have to get the NYCPD's permission to move your guns from place to place or take them out of state?

In South Dakota the individual towns and counties cannot pass gun laws that are more stringent then what are already on the State books. Which is why my hometown can't make it illegal to open/conceal carry a gun in the Civic Center no matter how many times they try.
                **Again please heed the mod warning and not debate/complain about the laws.**
                don't be this guy

If you want PM me like others have.

Yes NYC can do that. NY does not have an state preemption law like SD or even PA. So local gov can add what ever it wants.
                NY has about a bunch different firearm permits.
                •Carry concealed
                •Possess on Premises
                •Possess/Carry During Employment

You don't need the ok to move them but just the possess permit. W/o it you can't touch a handgun in NY or even one not listed on said permit.
                Of course a LEO can, and a FFL.
                AkaiKitsune
                Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Neither debating nor complaining, just plain curious and trying to wrap my Mid-Western brain around weird gun laws.

So those are three distinctly different licenses? You could conceal carry yet not be able to posses on premises (I'm assuming they're meaning possessing the gun in other than your residence)? Must Google.

The SD legislature is actually considering doing away with concealed weapons permits altogether. If you are lawfully able to own a gun then you won't need a permit to carry it concealed. I personally think you should have a CCW permit but that's neither here nor there when it comes to the legislative peeps in Pierre.
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

No they are kind of additive. Google up handunlaw.us and see.
                    one lets you own a pistol and take to a range
                    the work one is just that transport but not carry except work like an armor car money humper
                    the last lets you even carry with mag and ammo limits, but you need to be well connected to get one. (I know I know)
                    Yea NY/NJ might as well be on a different planet.
                    I dumbfounded my NJ friends when asked how many guns I could carry here in PA.

humm it's a 1/2 ton suburban, depends on how I tetris them in there, 40-50?
                    AkaiKitsune

Comment

A friend from the Buffalo area moved here after finding FL too hot. He quickly joined my gun-club and started participating in our pistol programs.
                      At the first shoot he told us he went to the local PD and asked what the procedures were to register his gats. The just looked at him and said there wasn't any. He asked if that was true. I said yes it's true it's no one's business what you have and Welcome to America.
                      It's sad that I've had to say that very phrase to too many folks from yankee-land both north and west.
                      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Oh joy- she sent the NYPD the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles And arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was. SO now I got to call someone and still have them mailed to me.
                        AkaiKitsune

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                          ... she sent the NYPD the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs ...
                          Praise the seeing-eye dog!
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Just make sure you don't end up on the group W bench.. Where all sorts of folk are...

Comment

Be the first one on your block to have your boy...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

...come home in a box. Well, it's 1-2-3 ...
                                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                                X