This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    So she's a known entity in the store; were she not disabled, her behavior would mean an insta-ban.
    What should that have to do with anything? She's rude, thoughtless, monopolizes the valuable time of the employees, and, oh yeah, assaulted you! Allowing her to continue shopping at your store is akin to a customer using "the race card" as an excuse to bully additional services and free shit and getting away with it. I don't care if you're black/Hispanic/[insert race here] or physically handicapped, it does not excuse terrible behavior and literally striking the employees.

Comment

Her disability is irrelevant -- or should be. In no way does it give her the right to be a Grade A bitch. Maybe if she is refused help in enough places, she'll smarten up.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
        I don't care if you're black/Hispanic/[insert race here] or physically handicapped, it does not excuse terrible behavior and literally striking the employees.
        The law might not see it that way. It would be all too easy for the SC to bring the ACLU into this and raise a huge stink.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I have been a card-carrying member of the ACLU. They do not support people assaulting other people, or any kind of violence, short of self-defense.

As for the SC, apparently for once I'm the nice guy here. Because if she did that to me, I would stop what I was doing and address her directly: "Ma'am, I am trying to help you with your shopping. However, if you strike me again, I shall stop helping you, I will leave you here to do your own shopping, and I will call the police and file assault charges against you. So, you can knock it off and act like an adult or you can continue to act like a spoiled little child. Your choice."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

People with disabilities have the SAME rights
            As everyone else. Unfortunately, a lot of them
            Think they have MORE rights.
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              The law might not see it that way. It would be all too easy for the SC to bring the ACLU into this and raise a huge stink.
              That's when you pull out the big guns: the black lesbian prosecuting attorney who uses a wheelchair.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                That. There was another SC in an electric wheelchair that everyone wanted to ban, yet management was afraid to even try because of the potential legal pitfalls.

I believe that the right to refuse service for being an asshole trumps disability, but the law is strange and may not see it that way.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

What, even if she's on camera hitting an employee? I would have called the police, as I really doubt that she'd be able to pull the disability card if she's got a record for assault.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

In terms of getting rid of her, the 3D's still apply: document, document, document. See if you can get a copy of that tape and just pile up the evidence. Eventually you'll have enough that even the most anal retentive members of the ACLU will realize it isn't discrimination.

Comment

The fear of getting sued is real. Years ago a known SC rammed her electric cart into my middle child, who was a toddler at the time. Police were called, assault charges were filed, and she was banned from the store. Within a week the SC had retained a lawyer and was suing the store, claiming discrimination. Thankfully there were a ton of witnesses, including the off duty police officers that serve as greeters in that store (wonderful neighborhood that store is in), and video of the entire incident. She lost, but it was still a headache and cost the store a fair amount of money in legal fees.
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

If she is the kind of person to pull that shit with not alllowing someone to get a cart and then say that she should have got one for her, she is the kind of person that will tell people she got banned because she is disabled. Do get it noted with all the managers and supervisors that she struck you with her cane, nearly hitting your head, and you refuse to serve her on those grounds.
                        The angels have the phone box.

Comment

Ahh... the SC's that know how to game the system and get an actual lawyer involved.

In Schuylkill County, PA, there lives a creature in the body of a man. He's got a personal scooter, and drives it all over and sundry in the county. And by that, I mean his 10 MPH scooter travels along 50 MPH+ posted roads, usually until he runs it dead. Or, should it be dead that day, you'll find him hitching rides at various places in the county. There's three mall along the same stretch of highway, of the indoor variety, within a good 10 miles of each other. He tends to drift amongst them.

At one point this creature had full use of his legs. But one day he was creamed by a commercial vehicle ( logging? Coal? I never did know) that left him having to use arm brace crutches for the remainder of his days. He successfully sued the company of the vehicle that hit him and was left with a very hefty settlement. But, you'd really never know it by his dress or demeanor.

Now, I mention all of that, just to throw out some background. The problem with picking this person up as a hitchhiker is, the moment he got in the car, he would turn to you and say "If you get into an accident I'll sue you and win". And he's right, he would win, because some people are just that blessed. It sucks we live in a world where you have to actively be conscious of not upsetting the wrong SC just to protect yourself/your company financially.
                          But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                          And it's not what I wanted to be
                          The weight on me
                          Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
                            The problem with picking this person up as a hitchhiker is, the moment he got in the car, he would turn to you and say "If you get into an accident I'll sue you and win". And he's right, he would win, because some people are just that blessed. It sucks we live in a world where you have to actively be conscious of not upsetting the wrong SC just to protect yourself/your company financially.
                            Yet another good reason to never pick up hitchhikers. Odds are if they aren't psychos, they're assholes.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'm with the chorus of "disabled doesn't count as an excuse for assault".

And having tried to get the ACLU to move on a legitimate discrimination complaint that involved my physical safety, I can personally attest that they won't do much if she does have the wits to complain to them. They appear (to me at least) to be homing in solely on the high profile, make a social media ruckus type of cases. As soon as it came out that the blind woman hit the OP without cause it would deflate their case.
                              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

What the suing handicapped doesn't realize is that by suing the store, the store can ban the customer based on the right to refuse service, and that this leaves the suing handicapped with one less store to shop at. They're burning their bridges one lawsuit at a time.

I also have heard of sue-happy people that have been denied the right to file any lawsuit based on their constant suing of others for frivolous purposes.

Comment

Working...
                                X