Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm glad that this all worked out well for you. I've been on the receiving end of political terminations in my career without any due recourse.

1) New boss wanted to demonstrate that no one was irreplaceable by firing his highest performer: me.
    2) Moved cross-country to take a job. Relocation agreement required me to repay every penny given to cover moving costs as well as signing bonus if I quit in less than two years. Unbeknownst to me, I was hired to get them ready for an audit that was scheduled less than two months from my starting date. Typically, this process takes an experienced person (typically my boss) over a year to prepare for. He was looking for a scapegoat to cover his dereliction. I succeeded in getting us certified. He was now on the hook to maintain the certification, and my salary reduced his thriftiness bonus. 10% of unspent budget went into his pocket. I wouldn't quit. He made my life as difficult as he could but still remain within the letter of the law. I did end up quitting once my two years were up. I hate this man to this day.
    3) Client representative comes on site, and observes an hourly employee falsifying documentation. I correct situation immediately, but not allowed to terminate employee as I was not his supervisor or manager. Client threatens to discontinue business relationship that generates company million$ of dollar$, and potentially bankrupting company. I'm scapegoated as I was I under 40 y/o, had no health problems, and 18 months tenure. Individuals that instructed employee to falsify were over 50, had been with the company for decades, and were undergoing expensive medical treatments. I had no resources to bring suit and a slim chance of proving fraud. Firing those responsible would have likely bankrupted company in legal costs alone.
    4) Took a less than ideal position after 4 months unemployed with a baby on the way for health coverage and a paycheck. Most of the people working there had never lived any where but this small rural community. With few exceptions, everyone had known each other their entire lives. Most were absolutely terrified at the prospect of even visiting any of the nearby cities: Topeka, Omaha, or Kansas City. Going to Saint Joseph, Missouri, was a necessary evil that put most on high alert. I was not local, and would go to any of these towns on a whim. Other than myself, the few college graduates working there had all gone to Kansas State. My Boss was a myopic micromanager who had never hired any one with any experience in our field. He developed our quality control program from the ground up, and I was the first person he had ever hired in his entire career with outside experience. Everyone else had been local and took his word as gospel. Most of his ideas were 20 years out of date. He claimed he hired me for my experience, but never let me use that experience to do my job assuming that everyone else did things the same way he did. If I did things different than his unstated expectations he would hurl insults. I decided to explore my job options after my son was born. He simply told me that it wasn't working out when he fired me just after my one year anniversary. I suspect that he was miffed that I would consider leaving after he had "done me the favour of giving me a job." As best I could tell, HR manager in meeting thought the wrong person was getting fired that day.

My current situation is far from ideal. The company I work for now isn't all that bad, but are they ever cheap! Salary that I accepted was lower than I had wanted, but had been promised by recruiter that I could expect a 10% or bigger raise for the first couple of years. Those raises have never materialized, and they never will. To get a 3% raise, one needs to walk on water. I work a part-time job to make ends meet. I would leave for the right position, but I haven't been successful in finding a job with the salary I need that won't require another cross-country relocation, and possibly jumping right back into another bad situation where I get fired on a whim. Having been fired 3x, most prospective employers dismiss my resume without a second thought.

Comment

• I was sorry to read your story, Captain Neon. What a mess...

1) Ah yes, the "I am God and my word is law" boss. My current supervisor is exactly this type, and when I leave I will love to see him try to replace me with the crappy salary they offer.

2) That was a real minefield, and they should have appreciated what you did. But sometimes there just isn't any justice...

3) I would definitely have made a few calls once I got fired, including one to the IRS...

4) Pity HR couldn't have fired the correct person that day...

Hope your situation improves...

Comment

• Quoth Captain Neon View Post
        Having been fired 3x, most prospective employers dismiss my resume without a second thought.
        So don't tell them you were fired. Lying is such an ugly word, shall we say accentuating the positive?

It's taken me a lot of years, but I've finally accepted that people who don't play fast and loose with the facts don't get ahead. Plus prospective employers have such unrealistic expectations that they're just begging to be lied to.

Best of luck.
        Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

• I never use the word termination, and I have good reasons other than boss an incompetent crook. Still most people assume that I was still fired for poor performance or worse. They are HR they've seen it before. If they do bother to do a reference check, they always ask if I am eligible for rehire. That's all they care to know.

Comment

• "they always ask if I am eligible for rehire"

That's about as much as employers are allowed to say safely w/o the ex-employee suing them.
            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

• Most HR personnel consider that code for: "He was a sucky employee. We don't recommend him."

They are looking at a file and perhaps what manager may have placed therein. Often, the HR person making statement knows nothing other than what is placed in file. HR person making inquiry is usually just looking at a resume or application, and, of course, to badmouth a former employer puts a candidate on the "Do Not Hire" list faster than former employer saying "Ineligible for Rehire."

Comment

• A big update, and quite possibly the finale of this story.

Today, at long last, I got my check for my back pay.

5 months and 1 week after I re-started my job, they finally handed me a check for a big five-figure sum and credited me with the vacation time that I would have earned in my absence, and the time I had to cash out when I was fired.

Work is work, and going at least adequately well. I've blended in to my new workplace with my old agency.

My wife and me are already looking at houses, planning on using the money for a down payment.

Comment

• Jumps up and down squealing then runs around the room throwing glitter at everyone.

How wonderful! Its been such a long journey, its so good to have a happy ending for it!!!

Comment

• Has this one already been nominated for War Stories?
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• I just looked back at the first post in this thread, and was stunned to see the date - this has been going on so long, I had kind of forgotten just when it all started.

Good for you, silverstaff, I hope that money gets you and your wife the home of your dreams.
                      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

• Hope you got a lot of interest with the back pay.

Congratulations, and may your ex-boss get the fate he deserves...

Comment

• Quoth Seanette View Post
                          Has this one already been nominated for War Stories?
                          This post indicates that it has.

Comment

• I just reread the entire thread (29 pages!), just a few comments.

1) I'd forgotten that no gag order was put on you. Do you still plan that the media hears about this?

2) Did you get all the interest you were owed as well as vacation and sick leave?

3) Any word on your ex-supervisor? I truly hope he gets the fate he deserves, as unlikely as that is...

4) Are you still having to drive to another site, or staying at the office close to your home?

I'm glad things worked out for you in the end, and I think that goes for everyone here!

Comment

• 1. No, I'm not going to the media, because I still hope to transfer around to another agency in my state government, and one of the terms of the settlement was to remove all records of the termination, basically trying to act like this never happened.

2. State regulations didn't let them pay me interest on the back pay, I'm still fighting for the back vacation and sick leave.

3. No action, that I was aware of, was taken against my former supervisor. I'm sure something was said in private, but he didn't lose his job over it.

4. Yeah. My usual office is about 30 minutes from my house, but once or twice a week I have to drive to another office about 90 minutes away. I do get paid mileage for the extra drive, and that adds up to several hundred dollars a month, so while I'd rather not be doing it, I'll deal with it for now.
                              Last edited by MadMike; 11-25-2016, 03:40 AM. Reason: Pleae don't quote the entire post.

Comment

• 1) Understand, you don't want to rock the boat now.

2) Sorry that you don't get interest, you should. And you're still waiting for vacation and sick leave? Time to write another letter.

3) Hopefully this clown has ticked off enough of his bosses to wish he was dead.

4) Do you get paid for the time as well?

Hope the new job's going well...

Comment

Working...
                                X