X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Elandora View Post
    Senior coffees are SERIOUS BUSINESS
    Yes they are. When I worked drive thru at BK I had a women get quite upset when she ordered a small coffee, and I [gasp] charged her for a SMALL coffee instead of a senior coffee.

Lady, it's a drive through, I can't see you, ask me for a senior and I'll give it to you.

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
      Elandora
      I am sorry if my post came across as accusing pet stores of doing something wrong.
      The stores themselves have chosen to not sell animals. I have not heard or read that any of them were accused of selling puppy mill animals.
      With only being able to purchase from rescue organizations or go to breeders directly it has led to the end of some mills. (People wanting to purchase animals became active in putting a stop to cruel treatment.)

I also wanted to stand up for those of us that have chosen to pay a larger sum of money our four legged children.
      As I said I think that anyone who adopts/ rescues an animal from a shelter or rescue organization is doing a good thing. That wasn't the right choice for me for many reasons . . .one being health related.
      You're fine, I wasn't so much targeting your post as I was preventing a discussion about how unethical my former place of work was. They may have been underhanded with the pricing, but I won't let them be associated with puppy mills. Having worked there, I heard all sorts of horror stories about puppy mills. What was sadder than the people that came in screeching about animal cruelty were the people who came in stating as fact that the puppies came from mills, and didn't mind at all.

I do know that some pet stores do business with puppy mills, I won't say all of them are innocent. Just the ones that plan on staying in business.

Comment

There are breeders out there who are trying to get genetic problems out of the strain of animal they're breeding. Examples are eye problems and patellar luxation problems in small dogs, and hip displaysia and stomach problems in large dogs. These are genetic, though the marker genes for the problems haven't been found in all cases.

As you can imagine, the kind of thorough scanning these breeders get for their sires and dams isn't cheap. But even their 'culls' (who aren't culled in the strictest sense: they're spayed/neutered and placed as pets) are much healthier, genetically, than a random mutt - or even a purebred from a less thorough breeder.

I think this work is worthwhile, and would consider paying for one of their 'culls' to be a donation to the genetic health of the line. It'd also be worthwhile for me: a lower change of veterinary surprises down the track, and a much greater predictability of the adult size and personality of the dog or cat.
        We took on our shelter dog knowing she's going to need patellar luxation surgery: by the time that's done, we'll have paid as much as a purebred would have cost.

On the other hand, there's also 'culls' from the various types of service dog available . . . or we could be the host family for a service dog breeding mother . . . or foster a series of service dog puppies . . . or rescue a mutt from the local shelter . . .

Our current pets are all shelter pets. But there are other ethically-sound sources of pets; and for one of those, you do pay a fair bit of cash.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I got my cat from a work collegue of my mum's who was going nuts trying to find good homes for her cat's litter; she'd locked her in season queen up in the house, but had left the bathroom window on the first floor just a little bit open. Next door's giant ginger tom somehow managed to climb up the garden trellis and squeeze in that tiny gap to do his business. XD My mum and I went to see the litter of kittens and the rest is history; it's absolutely fatal. XD Free kitty = just as good a pet as a £500 pedigree, in my opinion anyway.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
          X