Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have also had people return food items because they didn't like the way it tasted. It's one thing if it's bad or expired and they didn't notice, okay, I can accept those reasons. But when you wanted to try something for the first time and ended up not liking it, how is that the store's problem? When you buy something called "Fried Ice Cream", you take your chances.

We had quite a few people come in and say they were moving and needed to return a bunch of food or it would go bad. I always suggested bringing it to a church or food pantry to donate it, but apparently that wasn't a reasonable request. Any food that left the store had to be thrown out in case it was somehow contaminated. I always felt bad throwing out that much food because the customer didn't want to give it to a friend or donate it.

I really hate our return policy. Unless we know for a fact you're scamming (i.e. have you on tape in the meat dept. taking the meat from the freezer and going straight to customer service for a refund) or it's from another store, we accept the return.
    "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
    George Carlin

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
      Kid rallied quickly. "It was all lands."
      GIMME!! All my cards are considered ILLEGAL now! Stupid company always changing the Tourney Rules.

(Okay, yeah I'm a geek)
      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

This was unbelievible.

I had a woman trying to return (for a cash refund) a childs party dress after New years
        "Because it just didn't suit her".
        Normally it's ok, fine, whatever,could I interest you in an exchange.

Preferably an exchange- because there are a few returns of this nature where the customer bought it, wore it for the holidays, and then returned it before it went on their bill.
        This was defiantly one of those, usually the clothes are in a shall we say dubious state.
        You know what they have done, but the clothes are in good nick and you can really say for sure, or prove that they have done it.
        If you do call in management they will side with the customer as it cold be genuine and we can't prove it.
        This wasn't one of those cases.
        The dress was torn, had some kind of substance spilt down the back of it (my guess milk), had small stains on the front.To make it even better this was a dry clean only item.

The Sc was adamant that she should get a £50 cash refund
        I wasn't having it, no way was I taking it back and handing over cash for something that was only fit for the bin.Told her no, didn't offer an explanation why, it really didn't need one.
        SC was not happy.
        I'm not sure what happened in the end, it was five minutes until my shift was up so I called one of the senior managers down to deal with it.(like hell was I putting my name on that transaction if she wanted to back down to the Sc).

The manager took her sweet time getting there.
        All the while I'm telling the Sc
        No she can't have a refund, and
        yes I did comply with the demand for a manager, I can't get her to come here any faster.
        The manager happily arrives (I should have gone home 15 minutes ago),
        Explain the situation show her the offending item, ask her what she wants to do.
        Tell her my shift ended 20 minutes ago ,so I really should go now as I wasn't being paid to stay longer. .The offskied as fast as my legs could carry me.
        Please excuse me , I need to wander round the corner to scream now, before my head explodes.

Comment

My favorite refund has to be the lady who wanted to return suede pumps. Her reason:
          "Well, I wore them everyday, all winter and I didn't expect the snow and salt to hurt the suede."

I mean I can understand expecting good shoes to last. But she wore them everyday for 6 months, in winter.

Comment

This past week, a woman came in with a huge plastic bag full of clothes tagged with our store brand, ONLY ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO! We could tell from the outdated logo, plus the price tickets were yellowed and from the pre-bar-code era! She admitted that these items were from a clean-out of her dead grandmother's estate, but she still wanted immediate merchandise credit for them.

Uhhhh .... no can do ..... at least not at our retail store level. We offered to ship the items to our distribution center for research, but admitted that this could take a while. The woman said she might consider eBaying the clothes since they were near-vintage, but - WHINING - expressed concern at the EFFORT that might take.

So sorry ..... no quickee cash!

Comment

Had a customer buy an expensive latch-hook kit (like, $40). While I was finishing up the transaction she asked, "if I end up getting halfway through it and I end up not liking it, would I be able to return it?" And I simply told her, "I think you know the answer to that." She said that it was worth a try.

Comment

There'd be people who would buy air conditioners just before it started to get hot outside & then come back in September & try to get refunds claiming that they didn't want it anymore. Kind of like a half assed way of renting something. Wal-Mart customer service always said.."hell no"..but not like that...lol.

Comment

yep when I was at wally world I saw the same with lawnmowers, weedeaters, chainsaws. One guy brought in a chainsaw saying it would not start at all, full of gas, the assistant manager said really, picked it up walked out the door and it fired on the first pull.

Now at the hardware store we get people buying tools so they can "rent" them long enough to do their job and then they return them for a full refund

Comment

I had a lady once return one slice of moldy cheese saying that she ate the rest and it was fine but this one was bad. Thinking "how many months ago did you eat the rest of the cheese???" Of course, I called her bluff, I told her she could get another SLICE of cheese from the deli if she liked! She argued with me for a minuteas to why she couldn't get a whole package, and I told her that only one slice was bad and was willing to replace one slice, not the entire package. At least after that she agreed and all was over and done with.

I also had someone try to return half of a package of chewing tobacco stating that her dad had purchased it, had since died and she didn't want anything around it that could have contributed to his death (he had lung cancer). Management refused that one! ha ha ha ha.

Also there was the lady trying to return half of a large bag of dog food stating that her dog had died and she didn't need the rest of it. Management refused that one too.

One of my co workers told me she had an SC try to return maxi pads because she was pregnant!

I was grateful that in some of the situations that management backed us up, which as anyone knows doesn't happen too often.

Comment

I worked briefly in the furniture department at Sears, back in the days when Sears sold furniture. We sold these little dog figurines as decorative accent type things.

One morning I came in to work, and my co-worker told me that the day before (my day off) a lady had returned a dog figurine because she was convinced it was possessed by Satan! Apparently, it turned its head to watch her as she walked around the room.
                      "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
                      "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
                      --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth Whyme View Post

I really hate our return policy. Unless we know for a fact you're scamming (i.e. have you on tape in the meat dept. taking the meat from the freezer and going straight to customer service for a refund) or it's from another store, we accept the return.
                        The mind simply reels.

They should have an advertising campaign:

"Shop at our store! Should you decide to steal, instead of getting arrested, you get PAID!!"
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                          GIMME!! All my cards are considered ILLEGAL now!
                          Seeing as this happened... mmm... three, four years ago now, I have no way to find said impossible kid.
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

When I worked at the pizza place, this woman tried to get a replacement on 3 boxes of crusts. She claimed her pizzas were burned and she and her kids ate the pizzas cuz they were hungry. I didn't give her a replacement or refund; nor did my boss.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

One of my more annoying paper-route customers tried to get a refund...because there was an inkblot in the margin on one of the pages. Needless to say, I didn't give him his quarter back (cheap bastard!). However, after seeing the Maserati in the driveway, I'm sure he could have used it to help with the payments
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

today;

SC: "this cappuccino is too frothy"

sorry for my horrendous spelling; English is my first language, and I'm not dyslexic. I'm just shite at spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X