Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At my current college, parking is annoying but not really a problem. The arts majors are pissed off because the entire lot in front of the fine arts hall is ALL designated 'visitor only' and residents, commuters, AND faculty can be ticketed for parking there. I tend to park in the far commuter lot. Yeah, it takes me 10-15 minutes to get across campus, but I always find a spot without having to circle.

My first college, though, had a severe parking problem. Actually, they had a severe space problem in general, to the point where the Greek houses were all worried that if they got out of line the school would take their houses and turn them into student housing apartments. Then along came buzzwords like 'biztech' and 'technogenesis' and suddenly the admin decided that the school must MAKE MONEY and open up a new major. And this new major must have a BRAND NEW and HIGH-TECH building of its own.

Right on the main campus parking lot.

They finally calmed down student outrage by promising that the new building would include multiple stories of parking, 2/3 for students and 1/3 for faculty, estimated to more than triple the amount of parking the original lot had held.

The city objected to the building. It was on the cliff overlooking the river, and did something-or-other to the skyline or something the students were never quite told. (It's New Jersey. We assumed the mayor or someone on the council wanted a huge bribe and the school didn't want to pay that much.) The school ignored them and built it anyway...but with 3 parking levels instead of the promised 7. The city responded by taking all the parking for itself. After much negotiation, the school was allowed to retain the top floor for faculty only.

Net parking change on campus? Loss of about a dozen spaces.
    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

My college is a commuter school, now if you are just lazy and don't want to walk to far you're going to have a hard time finding a spot in front of the main buildings. I always park in the garage due to the fact that there's always spots there and the walk isn't too long for me.
      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Similar to the genius in the OP, there was one student who attended my alma mater who simply racked up the parking tickets. She, apparently, figured that since she was from out-of-state that they couldn't track her down. About mid-way through spring semester she gets an *ahem* somewhat irate phone call from her father, inquiring as to the origin of the $500+ of parking tickets for which he had just gotten the bill. Guess who didn't have car in the state, after that.

The reason for the poor parking at my alma mater is simple; it was originally designed pre-automobile. It was purposely planned so that students would have a fairly short walk from dorm to classroom. Great, except the campus has tripled in size, at least, since then. And I'm only including class & dorm space. I'm not including the off-campus offices.
        I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post

I really liked the trick that the hummer idiot in the OP tried... I saw that all the time when I worked parking enforcement... you know what we did, we ran the plate through the license plate through the computer and found out when the ticket was issued, if it wasn't on the current date they got another ticket right next to the old one
          Even easier in the UK, the date the ticket was issued (and time) is on the outside of the ticket!
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
            Even easier in the UK, the date the ticket was issued (and time) is on the outside of the ticket!
            eh, it wasn't that hard to run it through the computer sense we had to run the plates before we could write a ticket anyway, so the worst case scenario is it comes up and says you already issued a ticket move on (which wasn't common because only one person patrolled each lot so normally you'd remember who you ticketed that day).
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I hate the parking at my college. Not only are there not enough commuter lots, but they let faculty and staff park in the commuter lots when the faculty ones are not even half full. Park in your own lot, theres room!!! The guy deserved what he got. I hope he was towed.
              "They're magically delicious, bitch!"- Kara, http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=34968

Comment

Working...
              X