This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is not a daycare!

This one is a few months old, but it still baffles me.

Everyone who answers phones has gotten the odd person (or maybe it's not so unusual) who insists on arguing with you when you inform them they have the wrong number. This woman argued--but there was a twist.
    Me: Good evening. Thank you for calling YYY Car Dealership. How can I help?
    Customer: Is this ZZZ Daycare?
    Me: No, this is YYY Car Dealership.
    Customer: OK, well, I need to arrange for my daughter to stay late tomorrow.
    Me: I'm sorry, this is not a daycare. This is a car dealership.
    Customer: Look, I know what number I called. You need to learn to do your job.
    Me: I apologize for the inconvenience. I can look up the number to ZZZ Daycare if you'd like.
    Customer: No, because this IS ZZZ Daycare. Your supervisor is going to hear about this! Where did you say you work? YYY Car Dealership? What's your number?

Um...what?

I get similar all the time
    me- "reservation desk, this is smileyeagle speaking"
    sc- "is this the (whatever)
    me- "no, I'm at the reservation desk at the (insert hotel they called)"

ok, seriously, you didn't figure out where you were calling when either the automated system said "thank you for calling (hotel) press 1 for..." or the operator picked up and said "thank you for calling (hotel) how may I direct your call?"
    and if that wasn't enough, you were looking for something completely unrelated to hotels yet you didn't figure out when I said "reservation desk" that you might have the wrong number...
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

In the OP's case, if I had that lady on the phone, I'd have just hung up on her ( seeing as she isn't a paying customer. . . )

I mean, what the hell?

Comment

We get something similar to this where I work. Apparently ads for our company appear on several major credit card's monthly statements. The ads are in a box and (to me, anyhow) are distinctly different from the statement itsself. We generally get several calls a month from people wanting information about their credit card bill, or to report stolen cards or other things they need to talk to their credit card company about. And sometimes they insist that since our phone number was on their statement (never mind that it's in a box marked as an advertisement with OUR company name prominently displayed) that THIS MUST BE the phone number of their credit card company and we must be lying when we tell them no, it isn't.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Man.. I'da saved that number and would STILL be calling that idiot and reminding them to sterilize themselves!!! Idiots should NOT BREED!

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
            Man.. I'da saved that number and would STILL be calling that idiot and reminding them to sterilize themselves!!! Idiots should NOT BREED!
            If they're calling thinking the place is a daycare, it's too late, they've already spawned.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
              If they're calling thinking the place is a daycare, it's too late, they've already spawned.
              Maybe they are planning well in advance. "I'd like to book a day care place for nine months and a week from now."
              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth CrackedMyself View Post
                Customer: Look, I know what number I called. You need to learn to do your job.
                Me: I apologize for the inconvenience. I can look up the number to ZZZ Daycare if you'd like.
                And the Award for Most Unnecessarily Kind Response Ever goes to.....CrackedMyself!

Seriously, you're priceless. I hope your company pays you the big bucks.

To apologize for the "inconvenience" of not being a daycare...

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

OP, what I would have done is taken the lady's name and her daught'ers name and said sure, she can stay. No problem, no charge. Pick her up at 9pm.

And laughed my fool head off....

Comment

You handled that really well. I think I would have been tempted to ask her to hold while I got my manager... so we could share the laugh later.

How I could see it going:

CS: I want to complain about your employee, they said this was a car dealership not a daycare!

Manager: Well. It IS a car dealership. Step away from the crack pipe. Have a nice day.
                    "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

I do not believe I would have handled it nearly as well.

After I had already informed the caller it was a car dealership and she insisted it was daycare and needed to make special arrangements for her kid, I would've just busted out laughing at the lady and then said to anybody who happened to be around (loud enough for the caller to hear anyhow) "Hey guys! Get a load of this moron who thinks we're a day care! Now what did you want us to do again! Let your kid stay late! Okay!" (gales of laughter from co-workers in the background)
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

We get calls for Canadian Greyhound all the time. They hear a recording saying that we're the xxxxxx (travel agency), please hold for the next avail agent. Then when we answer the phone, I say "Thanks for calling xxxxxx (agency), this is Peppergirl, how can I help you"

Caller proceeds to ask for bus schedules.

Since we get so many of these calls, and because the number was actually published wrong, I always attempt to give them the correct number. Usually they are appreciative, but some will argue with me.

"That's the number I dialed" (No, no it's not)
                        "Transfer me to them" (No, no I won't)
                        "So you're NOT going to give me the bus schedules, then?" (Did the previous four NO's give you a clue?)

Ya know, in the time it took to argue with me, you could have redialed the correct number and HAD your precious schedules by now, fuckwits.
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Speaking of schedules...I've had people see my model railroad's webpage, which has a similar name to a certain train station in NYC...and then get annoyed when I can't provide them with Amtrak schedules. Somehow, I really doubt they'd be able to fit their 1/1 scale self into my 1/87 scale Amtrak train
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                            Somehow, I really doubt they'd be able to fit their 1/1 scale self into my 1/87 scale Amtrak train

"We can take the Spruce Moose! Hop in!"

"But sir..."

"I said, Hop in..."

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Several years ago, I got this at home. The phone rang. I answered it.

Me: Hello?

Caller: Uh, yeah, is Amber there?

Me: I'm sorry, you have the wrong number.

Caller: Uh...no I don't.

Me: Yes, you do. Nobody named Amber lives here.

Caller: Uh, yeah, WHATEVER.

I guess there was the slight chance that some girl named Amber was living in my closet without me knowing it. But if I did live with someone named Amber, I think I would have known about it.

Also, I was guessing that Amber was his girlfriend. That kind of makes me wonder how things have worked out for him and Amber. I wonder if they're still together, and if they have any kids.

Comment

Working...
                              X