This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The vanishing housemate...

One of my housemates,after having been given her 2 months'notice decided she'd go off on a camping and cycling tour of Europe.Meant the place looked like a tent city cum bike rack for a few days.
    A couple of weeks ago,her dad came with the car to load up all her important junk.
    Wednesday night,her and her shrieking harpies friends came for a drunken going away party.
    Thursday morning,the place looked like a bomb had hit it.
    Friday morning,still hadn't been cleared,so we went to rouse her to do it.And her room was empty.She's gone.Left the key and scarpered.
    We still have her food,crockery,cutlery,towels,bedding,clothing,even her bike..
    She had said she didn't intend to clean before she left-she hasn't paid her rent for 2 months so the landlord could take the deposit out of that-and he wouldn't be able to track her down anyway.Since all her things she needed had already gone,the rest of it could just be junked.
    Now we have to clean the place to make sure we get our deposits.We have photos and video taken today of how she left it...
    Who just walks out of a house for good and doesn't even bother to clean away the rubbish of the night before?
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
    Who just walks out of a house for good and doesn't even bother to clean away the rubbish of the night before?
    Someone who doesn't have to deal witht he aftermath.
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

Somebody who is a rude bitch? I had a former friend do this to his roommates once, and they came around to my place looking for him...that was a very awkward conversation to have, and it's safe to say that it ended that friendship. It didn't help that he hadn't even had the decency to give them notice - he had a party at the place that night, and then fucked off the next morning with all his stuff while his roomies were still passed out. Not cool.

Comment

Not exactly trashing a place then disappearing but similar

30 years ago right before and just after my Ex and I got married her brother stayed with us. He left after a while and went wherever.

About a year later several people who my Ex knew from her home town (about 90 minutes south of where we lived at the time) came into her work. At the time my Ex worked at a old school convienance store as a clerk. These people "claimed" she owned them like $1000.

"FOR WHAT???" she asks.

"WELL you brother got some 'product' from us (I will let you guess as to the legality of said product) and told us that YOU would be paying for it."

AHHHHHH NO. I have no clue what you are talking about AND I have not seen or heard from my brother in a year or so. SO again NO. AND where would you expect me to get that KIND of money. look where I work

For some reason they seemed to understand her position. Never heard from them or her brother again.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          "WELL you brother got some 'product' from us (I will let you guess as to the legality of said product) and told us that YOU would be paying for it."

my brain says "bootleg my little pony figures"
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Oh this is fun.It's like a weird advent calendar.Open cupboard door,discover pile of unwashed glasses and blender from party dumped in.
            Door two is another pile of unwashed dishes.And a gallon of motor oil(I assume from her cycle efforts...)
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I guess I'm lucky that my roommate isn't crazy like that, then again she knows better -- and knows that there *are* places where I can hide a body and no one will find it for a very long time. *evil grin*
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Well, Kit, since she doesn't want her dishes, I'd say they're trash--unless you or your other housemates are really desperate for such goods. If none of you want them, start filling up the trash bags. Quickest, easiest way to deal with it all, I'd say! Sorry she just fucked off like that. Who treats people like that, anyway? Wow!
                "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I'd suggest a yard sale and sell off the stuff she left with you. You should recoup some of your losses that way.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    I'd suggest a yard sale and sell off the stuff she left with you. You should recoup some of your losses that way.
                    I like this idea.

Comment

Well,in the church newsletter,one of the projects is desperately looking for a mountain bike,even an old one.Looks like she might have donated it to them

*since she's now in Europe and has said she doesn't intend to return here,we're going to treat it as abandoned...

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                        Only an *idiot* dealer lets someone do that.

My bet is that the guys that got sent *expected* it to be a futile trip, but were checking on the off chance her brother had actually been telling the truth.

When they got back I'd not want to be whoever it was in their organization that let her brother have the product.

Comment

I'll add my vote for yard sales (and other similar means of disposing of her unwanted items) rather than just trashing it. Sell what you can (recoup some money for the cleaning you'll have to do), donate that bike since there's a need for it, drop off everything else at the nearest charity shop. Trash what isn't suitable even for that.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

quick warning... it might be a good idea to double-check what the law says before getting rid of said former roommate's stuff.it's just that she sounds like the kind of self-absorbed asshole that might actually be expecting her stuff to be waiting when she returns, and (especially if it includes a bike) it might be worth making absolutely sure you can't be sued for junking her stuff.

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
                              quick warning... it might be a good idea to double-check what the law says before getting rid of said former roommate's stuff.it's just that she sounds like the kind of self-absorbed asshole that might actually be expecting her stuff to be waiting when she returns, and (especially if it includes a bike) it might be worth making absolutely sure you can't be sued for junking her stuff.
                              This. You don't want to end up on Judge Judy.

Comment

Working...
                              X