This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's Not Quite How You Pay With a Phone

While I was at the fitting rooms, I over heard this conversation on the walky.

Cashier: Can we put a customer's credit card number into the register?
    Manager: We can hand key it, if that's what you mean. Does the customer have it on them?
    Cashier: No, he's got a picture of the credit card on his phone. Can he use that?

At the same time, I swear I was only silently mouthing the words that the manager then said without missing a beat.

Manager: Oh, absolutely not.

I looked around the corner to the register where all this was taking place. I couldn't tell who the culprit was, or if anything will come of it in the form of a police investigation or what have you. But I'll give someone the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they were new to the concept of paying with a mobile credit card app.

Who am I kidding. Someone very likely thought they would be able to pay with the picture of a credit card.
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Certainly, we can accept that. And here's your picture of the item, good day. Oh, you wanted the actual item? Then bring in the actual card!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

...And if you work hard, someday you might own a photograph of a mansion!
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Reminds me of the customer who once emailed me a photo of her credit card to pay for her ad.

Yes, she emailed an actual photo showing the full card number, name, etc.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm wondering if these people are just confusing a photo of said card with those apps that actually take the place of the card (if that's the correct way of putting it). First time I saw somebody tilt their smartphone towards the debit/credit machine I was wondering what the *bleep* they were trying to do.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

A conversation I have every day: I need to verify your income for the last 30 days, do you have your pay stubs?"

"No, but I brought my 2017 W2."

BZZZZ!!! That is not how verifying the last 30 days income for 05/2018 works.

Comment

I can't quite top that, but I did have one passenger a few months back who handed me a piece of paper with some sloppy writing on it.

Me: What's this?
              Pax: My payment info.
              Me: Where's the card?
              Pax: Ohio.

(I got paid by her brother, the cardholder in Ohio, via Paypal. Took about 5 minutes.)
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I should say, while I've not personally had someone try to use a picture of a card (but colleagues have,) I have had people try to hand me their phone so the person on the other end can tell me "their" card details... Yeah, no.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I'm remembering the one where a guy got that letter in the mail from the police department. He triggered one of the speed traps, and the machine got his photo nicely, and said photo was included with his ticket.
                  He returned a picture of the money for the ticket.
                  The PD send a picture of handcuffs.
                  He promptly paid up.

Comment

Ooooh taking photos of the card now? And I thought I was special when customers handed over a scribbled credit card number on a wadded slip of paper.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                      I'm remembering the one where a guy got that letter in the mail from the police department. He triggered one of the speed traps, and the machine got his photo nicely, and said photo was included with his ticket.
                      He returned a picture of the money for the ticket.
                      The PD send a picture of handcuffs.
                      He promptly paid up.
                      Cute, but speeding tickets are pretty easy to challenge. ("OK, let's see the maintenance log on that speed trap's radar gun...". And the challenge often wins by default, just because the reason the cops automated the process is because they wanted not to put manpower into their revenue farming.

Comment

Working...
                      X