This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seanette View Post
    This one has me just shaking my head. Adult male, helping his mother deal with online access. I actually had to explain to him how the Shift key works and how that differs from the Caps Lock key.
    Trivia Time

I once had an antique typewriter, a Remington from the 1880s, that had a caps lock feature. Normally the shift key lets you type an upper case letter. But if you flip a certain lever then normal typing would be all upper case letters and using the shift key would let you type a lower case letter.

I wonder if people got confused over that feature?

Later model typewriters had a shift lock key, but I don't recall being able to type lower case letters without releasing the caps lock key.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

normal typing would be all upper case letters and using the shift key would let you type a lower case letter.
      This is how modern computer keyboards work, as well - Perhaps this typewriter/company is where they got the idea from ^_^
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Old typewriters had a shift key and a shift lock. When the lock was engaged, you got the alternate characters for ALL keys, including the numbers/special characters. Pressing the shift key raised the typebars so that the bottom of the head would strike.

The cap lock only affects the letters. That is why it is a cap lock, not a shift lock.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Another entry in the "zombies are smarter" division:

Explained standard (7-10 business days) vs. express (2 business days) shipping, including arrival dates based on item being shipped today.

Caller asked which was faster.

Speaking of zombies, another for the "your reality must be much more entertaining than mine" category: I was informed by a caller that shipping time on a physical object was "like the zombie apocalypse". This was some weeks ago, but it's rather difficult to forget a conversation like that.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            Maybe minor instances of SC idiocy, but they're going to keep annoying me until I post, I think.
            Minor instances of SC idiocy are like individual drops of water in water torture. Someone else might say, "one instance, big deal", but the rest of us know that these little things add up to drive a person crazy.
            Quoth Seanette View Post
            Work in a call center long enough and it will very effectively kill any faith you had that humans qualify as intelligent life.
            Doesn't even need to be a call center. Any customer service job will do that. Human beings can be appallingly stupid. If we every person who deserves it, all the oceans in the world would run out of fish.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I used to work security for a couple sites. Teaching truck drivers how to use their equipment was a favorite. (I have never been a Class A driver, but I pay attention and read the labels on the knobs and levers)
              Working the gate on one of these golf course-enhanced, overpriced housing developments... kinda rounded out my education on SCs.

Comment

I work in a call center im late to the party but they call 9 months latter for a gift card that the time frame expired on 7 months ago vouchers only good for 60 days had a guy installed gor over a year call about this.... the calls i deal woth daily.

Comment

Working...
                X