Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next week it'll be the Assistance Armadillo....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in a Depot of Homes over the weekend looking at some lawn/garden stuff, and I saw a lady and a man come in with these big-ass dogs. I don't know if they were service dogs or not, but they didn't have the "service dog" vests or anything.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      I was in a Depot of Homes over the weekend looking at some lawn/garden stuff, and I saw a lady and a man come in with these big-ass dogs. I don't know if they were service dogs or not, but they didn't have the "service dog" vests or anything.
      Orange & Blue Apron stores seem to be dog welcoming. After all, they aren't serving/selling food. My brother in Colorado Springs takes his (very well trained) Banter Bulldogs and my daughter takes her year old Corgi here in Salt Lake. They have staff dog biscuit stashes and it seems some of the staff pack some in their aprons.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        African or European parrots?
        All European parrots are extinct. However, there are also American, Asian and Australian to choose from. Four A's-es, soda speak.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          Orange & Blue Apron stores seem to be dog welcoming. After all, they aren't serving/selling food. My brother in Colorado Springs takes his (very well trained) Banter Bulldogs and my daughter takes her year old Corgi here in Salt Lake. They have staff dog biscuit stashes and it seems some of the staff pack some in their aprons.
          At least around here, those stores are also home to wild birds, which get into (and even next in) the open air garden centers, and occasionally fly into the main store. So maybe the parrots would be welcome

Comment

The Parrots could be "Customer Service" animals. Trained to be judgmental of your purchases.

Next thing you know your browsing the drapes and you hear from over your shoulder in the unmistakable cawing voice of a parrot, "Tacky."

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
              The Parrots could be "Customer Service" animals. Trained to be judgmental of your purchases.

Next thing you know your browsing the drapes and you hear from over your shoulder in the unmistakable cawing voice of a parrot, "Tacky."
              Is it bad that i heard that in Iago's (com Aladdin) voice?

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                All European parrots are extinct. However, there are also American, Asian and Australian to choose from. Four A's-es, soda speak.
                A king must know these things.
                Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  Which is kind of a pity, as emotional support animals for people with anxiety or autism can make the difference between them being able to function in public or having a melt-down. Obviously it would have to be a properly trained animal, regardless.
                  I know with the autism dogs that they can also have a benefit for a kid absconding - for example, if the kid is tethered to the dog, should they try to bolt, the dog is trained to pull or sit down. The dog itself is also connected to a leash which the parent holds, so it's not like the kid and dog are tethered like a chain gang.

Here's an example of said dog in action.

We don't get them at work, but I know that there are only two places a service dog can't go to - a hospital (although nowadays it's more like certain areas of a hospital eg surgical wards) or a zoo.

Comment

Quoth Yurimaru View Post
                    In situations where it is not obvious that the pet is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the pet a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the pet been trained to perform?
                    We're only allowed to ask "Is this a service animal" (note no mention of the 'disability' qualifier)...people who want to bring Pookie into the store have figured out that all they have to do is answer "yes" (or they just bring them in because they have it in their heads that we are legally barred from even asking). Don't get me started on the vests/paperwork anyone can get online...

Technically due to health codes, only obviously identifiable service animals are allowed on the premises (and even then not in certain areas). A farm stand we shop at has a great sign posted on the matter, I'll see if I can find a pic I took.
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-04-2018, 12:51 PM.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                      I know with the autism dogs that they can also have a benefit for a kid absconding - for example, if the kid is tethered to the dog, should they try to bolt, the dog is trained to pull or sit down. The dog itself is also connected to a leash which the parent holds, so it's not like the kid and dog are tethered like a chain gang.
                      Actually, its exactly like a chain gang.

But that's awesome. I wish my ex had one of those when her son was younger.

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      We're only allowed to ask "Is this a service animal" (note no mention of the 'disability' qualifier)...people who want to bring Pookie into the store have figured out that all they have to do is answer "yes" (or they just bring them in because they have it in their heads that we are legally barred from even asking). Don't get me started on the vests/paperwork anyone can get online...
                      Cab drivers are in the same boat. Personally, I don't mind animals as long as they're well-behaved (which is the vast majority of pets). I've probably had a few hundred dogs over the past 6 years, along with an unknown number of cats, and a few other critters.

I'm always amused by the people that immediately snap "It's a service dog!" when I haven't even asked. I don't care why you have a dog/cat/monkey/iguana/pygmy elephant, as long as it doesn't use the cab as a bathroom; all I asked was, is the animal okay with riding in a car?
                      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                        Someone in my family was telling me about a person with an emotional support peacock!
                        As if the turkey wasn't bad enough....
                        Here's your emotional support peacock...
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwImBkTZj54
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I hadn't heard about the turkey...seriously?

(at least around here, they could provide a 'service' as guard animals...except they'll attack anyone, so they'd have to be guarding a vacant property)

Comment

I'll admit that I took a taxi once with my parrotlet tucked into my jacket, and he's clearly not a support animal of any sort. But it was primarily because it was the middle of winter and the power in my area had been knocked out due to a storm so we (myself, my kid, and my bird) were on the way to my work to warm up and recharge our laptops and phones while waiting for power to be restored. My apartment had hit sub-zero temperatures which can be deadly for tropical birds, and him being tucked into my sweater wasn't doing enough to keep him properly warm. But I also never claimed that he was any sort of support or comfort animal. When I let the driver know that I had my parrotlet tucked into my jacket all he did was roll up his window in case the bird got out of his cosy spot.

I've been asked about allowing emotional support rats into a few of the conventions I've worked with, and my usual response is that as long as the owner cleans up after them, doesn't try to scare anybody with them, and lets me give them a treat, then I don't have a problem with the support critters being onsite. Some folks might have issues with that, but I fully understand that sometimes you just NEED that little bit of support...and I'm a huge sucker for rats - I've currently got twelve of my own!

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                              I hadn't heard about the turkey...seriously?
                              I think it was my sister's family that saw that one, they fly a lot more than I do.

Comment

Aw, now I want an emotional support rat! (I take occasional care of a revolving cast of 7, and would get rats myself if mom weren't so vehemently against it).

Comment

Working...
                                X