This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropical Storm/Hurricane Isaac

Hey gang, just wanted to let all my fellow Floridians and Caribbean folks here know that I am thinking of you and hope this storm GOES AWAY! If not, I have made the proper bar, er, uh... storm preparations.

BE SAFE.
    Why is stupidity not an arrestable offense?

My mom asked me about this today on the phone.

My local Key West friends who are relatively new to this island are vaguely freaking out on facebook.

My reaction: *yawn*

Look, last I checked, Key West is dead center in the Cone of Death. Well, every single time in my 13 years down here that Key West has been in the center of the Cone of Death this early in a storm's life, the storm does exactly one thing and one thing only: it goes somewhere else. The geography of the Caribbean dictates this, and the "projected models" are merely guesses, and not even all that educated ones, either.

My prediction: Isaac with probably take a sharp right turn and head north to either dissipate in the Atlantic or bother the folks in Jacksonville or the Carolinas.

Or perhaps it will take a leftward angle and head to Mexico.

Or break up over Cuba and do precisely nothing to Florida.

And, even if by some strange quirk of fate it goes against most history of the region and actually heads to Key West, it will be all of a Category 1.

So I repeat: *yawn*

I have made my "hurricane preparations." I have plenty of beer. End of story.

Wake me when this crap is over.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Agreed, be safe down here, everyone!
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

1 model shows 6 "landfalls" on Florida's gulf coast:

‎1) Islamorada
        2) Snake Bight
        3) Marco Island
        4) Fort Meyers Beach
        5) Boca Grande, (if you count that one - it's across the bay)
        6) Cut-Off Creek (Panhandle)

Preparations? Bring the chickens in, take some of the flyables into the shed, take down the canopy, and enjoy a paid day off!
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

The center of the "cone of death", as they say, runs over much of Haiti and Cuba. If by chance it does follow this path, it will lose much of its intensity, not being out on the open ocean. As Jester says, much too early to panic.

Comment

Today when I was out and about I bought paper towels, fruit juice, fresh fruit, Gatorade, and beer.

Not because of the hurricane, mind you. But because I was out of paper towels, fruit juice, and fresh fruit, was low on Gatorade, and found some beers I wanted to try.

Should the hurricane actually come here (which it won't), I am well supplied with cases of beer and bottles of rum. I am actually far more worried about how tourist panic from said hurricane will affect the business down here over the next week, as I am gearing up for my third beercation.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

I am not all too worried.

A. I live where a hurricane hasn't hit in forever
              B. Its just some heavy rain and wind, nothing killer. I'll probably sleep better than I have in ages.

Comment

Working...
              X