Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both my mom and uncle Gerry had to have a couple of teeth removed because they had large teeth (good, but large) and their mouths weren't, and on my dads side him my aunt Loraine, my uncle Jerry, and Joey all had weak teeth. My siblings were lucky and ended up with good teeth. Me.......not so much.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin
      Teeth are not only genetic, but they're notably gender-biased.
      Add that to the list of reasons why I hate being trapped in a female body. (I'm actually wondering whether I'm...what's the correct word, transgendered? Because I have ALWAYS hated the biological bullshit I'm stuck with, and this is just one more reason I wish I'd been born differently.) (Well, in a sense, I was, but not the way I would have preferred.)

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
      Are you planning on having a fake tooth put in?
      Nope. Don't need it, for one thing - I lost the matching molar on the other side of my upper jaw when I had the big batch of extractions done last year. The wisdom tooth over there was so fucked up it was going almost sideways into that molar and killing it, so it must have been bad enough that they just decided to take that one too. I seem to get along fine without it, and I'm sure the same will apply to this one as well.

I also have a missing bicuspid (the bastard that started this whole mess) on my lower jaw; aside from the weirdness of having a hole there, I do fine without it, and thankfully it's concealed enough that it won't show unless I open my mouth and point it out to you (which was my biggest worry, aside from any pain issues, because I didn't want to look like a damn hillbilly).

And yes, implants are INSANELY expensive. I can't even afford this surgery; no way can I do an implant.
      ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        I actually trained myself out of it by putting the outside edges of my tongue just barely between my teeth. It doesn't help as much overnight, but it still helps. And it's free. And it works to change the behavior, not just make it more difficult.
        That's so funny I do the exact same thing to make sure I don't clench my jaw when I'm awake. I'd still like to be able to afford a night guard. Too bad they run so freaking high.

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post

And yes, implants are INSANELY expensive. I can't even afford this surgery; no way can I do an implant.
        As long as you're comfortable then there's no need for the implant. I only suggested it because I know a friend who had to get a tooth pulled and it was painful to eat with that tooth not there, so he got an implant done.
        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I know how you feel on the teeth. You don't want to know how many I've had removed. Let's just say that I never show my teeth on the rare occasions I get my picture taken. (I want to get implants or dentures or something but all of that costs money I don't have.)

Still though, I've found that my teeth or lack therof bothers me more than anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with you. Just remember that you're loved.
          Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Updatedness.

Looks like this Tuesday I say goodbye to Tooth #7. SO not looking forward to this crap, even though I know what to expect. I just hate dentists/doctors in general. (Poor little unloved dentists and doctors...does anybody love them? Probably not.)
            ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

heh, I'm probably in the minority here but I happen to love my doctors (yes I said doctors, I have my primary care & then another I go to for when my primary isn't available and I'm outta meds). They provide me with the stuff to function in this sad existence that is my life
              "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
                Looks like this Tuesday I say goodbye to Tooth #7. SO not looking forward to this crap, even though I know what to expect. I just hate dentists/doctors in general. (Poor little unloved dentists and doctors...does anybody love them? Probably not.)
                Actually I really do like most of my doctors (now.) The doctor I had as a child I do not like, because even in high school he would treat me like I was 5 and I wanted to punch him in the face.

But now my primary and my dentist I do like. (Just not the oral surgeon, he was talking about going to his expensive vacation home while I was on the chair, it kinda pissed me off.)
                Last edited by AmbrosiaWriter; 08-11-2012, 01:24 AM. Reason: tense changes~!
                My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
                  I know how you feel on the teeth. You don't want to know how many I've had removed. Let's just say that I never show my teeth on the rare occasions I get my picture taken. (I want to get implants or dentures or something but all of that costs money I don't have.)

Still though, I've found that my teeth or lack therof bothers me more than anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with you. Just remember that you're loved.
                  I've noticed the same thing. Due to depression a few years ago when I just didn't bother taking care of myself, my teeth are now falling apart. I wasn't worried about it till it started happening to my front teeth. Due to loose gums and injury one tooth sticks out quite a bit, and they're falling apart from the inside, making it look like I have a huge gap between them now.

I'm horribly self-conscious about them, to the point that I can't even stand to catch my reflection if my teeth are showing. But no one else ever says a word about it; general consensus amongst my friends that are interested in my gender one way or another is that I'm actually quite attractive in spite of it, but I just can't see it.

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
                    I'm horribly self-conscious about them, to the point that I can't even stand to catch my reflection if my teeth are showing. But no one else ever says a word about it; general consensus amongst my friends that are interested in my gender one way or another is that I'm actually quite attractive in spite of it, but I just can't see it.
                    While I'm nothing special to look at, I see no reason to make it worse by losing any more of my teeth. This was the second most worrying thing to me (aside from the pain and scariness of surgery involved) that had me freaked out. I'm lucky with the lack of bicuspid in that it's not visible unless I deliberately point it out.

Comment

The NTI guard I wear at night that prevents me from being able to clench jaws or grind my teeth is only $50. I'm on my 3rd one. They wear out after about 3 years.
                      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I feel for you. I inherited my Mom's bad teeth - her teeth came in with almost no dentin on them and by the time she was 13 years old they had all broken and rotted and she had to have them all pulled and got false teeth. Mine aren't quite that bad (I'm 40) but I've already had 4 pulled, and am looking at getting another 4 pulled in the next couple years. My Dentist warned me when I was a teen that he doubted my teeth would last me to 50, and it appears he's right. Sucks.
                        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Damn, feeling guilty for the genetic lottery I've won. Went to the dentist for the first time in 14 years a few months back and didn't even need a filling but I do have an impacted wisdom tooth but it's not bothering me at all so it's being left alone. I don't floss and I'm lucky if I brush twice a day but I use mouthwash a lot.

Dad says I recieved his teeth but he lost his with him being a war baby in England growing up. What astounds me is I don't look after my teeth and they have come through excellently so what actually has to happen for them to fall to pieces?

Comment

The tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth.

In the morning I'm having it done.

Anxiety has already set in.

I think this link sums up well how I feel about it.

Comment

Sending bunches of good thoughts your way!
                              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

All gone!

Tooth is out. I will spend the rest of the day just chillin'. Feeling pretty mellow right now. I definitely handled it better this time than when I did the first 6-batch. At least I wasn't cowering and bawling like a baby. Did have some anxiety but it was manageable.

Doctor was nice. Younger guy than I expected, possibly in his late 30s would be my guess. They gave me laughing gas to start with and OHMYGODTHATSHITISAWESOME. I was laughing like a moron once it hit, and I remember the IV needle going in (that's the REALLY good shit, that knocks you out altogether) and them sticking some thing in my mouth to hold it open, and then some tube thingie (breathing tube? suction tube to clear away any nasty?), and that was it. Whole thing took about half an hour (including the initial consult where they check out the xrays I brought along), not counting the time it took to drive up there and back (which was probably longer than the actual extraction).

So. DONE. AND THAT HAD BETTER BE THE END OF THE SHITTY TEETH SAGA DAMMIT.

(Total cost was $510, so I called it right on that. They let us pay half ($250) up front and then the rest can come later.)

Comment

Working...
                                X