This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You owe me money for shopping here!

I was reminded of this one by another thread.

Back story:

The grocery store where I used to work doubles coupons up to 99¢. However they will only double up to the price of the item. This isn't a problem because the scanner reads the coupons including the amount and the expiration date. All I had to do was scan them.

Enter my SC. If memory serves, her cart was almost full, containing about 40-50 items. After running everything through the scanner she hands me a handful of coupons. I ran them through as my co-worker was bagging.

Me: That'll be $20.00 please. (this was long ago. I don't remember the exact amount)

SC: What?

ME: Your total is $20.00 please.

SC: How is that? I got $75 in groceries and handed you $85. in coupons! You owe ME money!

Choking back a laugh I summon the manager. While I am waiting I try to figiure out if I somehow made a mistake although I knew there was no way that we owed her money. Quick (in my head) addition of her coupons made me understand her thought process. If all the coupons were actually doubled she would have had about what she said in coupons.

My manager finally makes it to my register and I explain the situation.

MGR: How can I help you?

SC: I bought all that stuff and paid with coupons. You owe me money now. He says that I owe $20.

MGR: I'm sorry ma'am, but coupons only double up to the price of the item. Coupons are a discount from the manufacturer on the item and not payment for it.

SC: This is rediculous! I have given you $85 in coupons for $75 worth of groceries. You owe me $10!

MGR: No ma'am, I'm sorry. That's not how they work. Each coupon is only worth it's face value. That's all the manufacturer will give us when we send it to them. <grocery store chain> doubles it, but only up to the price of the item. You are still getting those items free.

SC: That is bullsh!t. I want my $10 or I'm leaving!

MGR: Ma'am, as I explained, we do not owe you money. Your total is $20.

SC turns and walks out in a huff. She left her groceries, already bagged and back in her cart, setting at the end of the counter. She also left her coupons.

It's amazing how her stupidity overruled common sense. She was getting $75 in groceries for $20. I mean, come on!
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
    SC: That is bullsh!t. I want my $10 or I'm leaving!
    This was the best threat she could come up with? Give me those groceries free of cost plus $10 or else I am not taking anything with me?

Nice....
    -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
    -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe I should start clipping coupons if I can get money back when I buy groceries.

Speaking of coupons, I love customers who debate over coupons for a free pack of Marlboros, Camels, or whatever brand of cigarettes. Some of them just don't seem to understand that they still have to pay tax even on a "free" pack of cigarettes. It even says so in the fine print, and yes, I know they have selective reading. I fill in the price per pack before tax on the blank, and that's how much the coupon is worth at our store. Luckily, most people will go ahead and get their cigarettes, but some will still try to argue even after I have triumphantly pointed out the fine print making sure to offer my best smile. At that point, I usually just tell them that they either want it or they don't. Most of the time, they still want it even though they threaten to go to the tobacco store just up the road.
      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

So glad I never had to deal with manufacturer's coupons. Aside from the occasional coupon for a magazine, the only coupons we had to worry about were our own...
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I hate people like that. Seriously, what do these people except? I use coupons all the time and only pay about $30 weekly for groceries, you'd think that'd be cheap enough for that lady too.

Comment

Dear lord she had a great deal, she saved $55, and she's squabbling about $20. Jerk.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
              SC: How is that? I got $75 in groceries and handed you $85. in coupons! You owe ME money!

Choking back a laugh I summon the manager.
              You held better restraint than I did. I would have burst out laughing on that one.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
              X