Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fast a day can go down the crapper, literally!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast a day can go down the crapper, literally!

A normal Wednesday, we get in our weekly order, including snow sleds, on the first day we broke a hundred degrees.

There are only two people on the sales floor and no one in paint, so I am constatly interrupted from checking in the order to mix paint,....basically a normal day.

Then that afternoon I need a bathroom break, but when I flush, the most vile stench water this side of the river Styx starts comming up from the drain in the floor.

I grab a mop and try to keep this sewage flood from going into the rest of the store, and have to deal with a different flavor of stink water that had been left in the mop bucket to age and season.

The water finally stops and I get some drain acid to clear it out, which adds the smell of rotten eggs to the mix. But I also get some Lemon Pine-Sol and it overpowers all the other smells.

At this point I hear "What is that smell?" a lot but nobody is brave enough(or stupid enough) to get close enough to help. But I am getting it all under control, so obviously it is time for someone to flush in the ladies room. Luckily this time it is more water than "other stuff", but once again I am trying to stop the water from going into the store.

I know what you are thinking, now would be a great time to buy some paint.

They call on the radio, I tell them I am cleaning a sewage leak in the bathroom. A few moments later, I hear "Are you coming to the paint dept.?" I remind them about the raw sewage leaking in the store. A few moments later, the manager shows up, ignoring the stench, the water everwhere, me moping like crazy to contain it and says "They need you up in paint."

And when I do get away, the new girl has allready helped the customers, all she did was ask someone how to save a customer's information. And by the time I got there she had figured out that the button "Save information" was a good choice.

Well three trips outside to dump stink water, mopped the floor twice to get it clean, had to listen to the manager complain that I should not have put acid down the drain because it smells, before he mysteriously disappeared. They called a plumber, but he never showed and about an hour later, every thing was working fine again. I guess the acid cleared the clog.

And after I did all this, cleaned all that and tried to get back to whatever I was doing before the Devil's Bidit overflowed, what does one of the other employes say?

"Oh yeah, it did that yesterday, I ment to tell someone."

I'd kill him, but guess who would have to clean up the mess.
    "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Poor you. :comforting pats: there, there™®

Have some cookies.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I have to say you did a good job at keeping your cool.

Comment

Wow yeah no way I'd deal with that - i would've called a plumber right away. I don't think it's in your job description you have to clean raw sewage, is it? Good for you for stepping up to the plate and taking action though. Your manager is stupid for criticizing you - he should've done it himself if they needed you that badly in paint.....

Comment

Quoth air914 View Post
          Your manager is stupid for criticizing you - he should've done it himself if they needed you that badly in paint.....
          Agreed 100%

When I was working at the movie theatre, we had a manager who *LOVED* to give orders but not do things herself. She practiced the "walk around" technique and did it really well.

Walk Around Technique: When it's very busy and there are tasks that must be done, if you are in management, walk around telling employees what to do to give the impression that you are working. Then retreat back to the office and talk to your significant other on the phone instead of helping in concession or helping clean theatres.

Comment

I would have said, "Okay," and handed him the mop. Then I would have dosed everything below my knees with antimicrobial and antibacterial spray, before whistling my way back to the customers. (I keep some spray at work for those really bad days on public transit.)
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

There's a big plumbing fuck-up right there. The toilets and the drains should not be connected inside the building, especially in a commercial building.
              You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

So your manager prefers the smell of raw sewage to the smell of Drain-O?

Sorry, but I do not get paid enough to do that stuff...and if the manager is not willing to do it himself he has no business asking an employee to do it, unless it actually is the employee's job. Close the bathrooms and call a professional...

(One of my store's has been known to send employees home an hour early with pay for volunteering to clean up the bad messes, though.)

Store1 once had a sewage leak in the coffee shop (a Starbuck's that rents the space from BN); their bathrooms are at the back of the shop and share a wall with BN's Receiving room. The leak seeped through the wall and spread several feet into Receiving and spread so far across the Starbuck's that they had to rip up the carpet - which only covered the front half of the store! That was not pleasant. Luckily we managed to save almost all of the boxes that were against that wall; the rest they just tossed right in the dumpster, and they had big industrial fans running for a few days to dry out the room after the cleanup.

And guess how many times I had to explain why Starbucks was closed...I tried to avoid details but some people just have to know!
                Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-10-2007, 01:39 AM.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Well they did call a plumber and he did stop by to see what the emergency was....a day later.

And then he said he would be back later just before we closed, but then didn't show. We figured out that if the bathrooms are not flushed too close together, it will drain slowly.

Personally, I went across the street to our local City Office when I needed to.

No floods and they can't call for me.
                  "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Quoth MrSunshineState View Post
                    Walk Around Technique: When it's very busy and there are tasks that must be done, if you are in management, walk around telling employees what to do to give the impression that you are working. Then retreat back to the office and talk to your significant other on the phone instead of helping in concession or helping clean theatres.
                    You forgot holding a cup of coffee and going out for a smokey treat* every 10 minutes, whether you need one or not.

*Marlboro Reds preferred.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth MrSunshineState View Post
                      Wow, that's more work than most of our managers apparently do. One is famous for never being seen during a shift - although he does payroll, so we know he works one day a month.
                      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Wow, I've been spoiled. Not only have my theater managers jumped on registers in Concessions and tickets, but at one of my convenience store jobs I was told on my first day that, and I quote, "If the manager can't do your job she doesn't deserve hers." And yes, SM and visiting AM had been known to take second register and/or help put away order.
                        Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Working...
                        X