This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do People Think I Don't Have a Brain

Apparently since I work in a grocery store, and since I'm "just" a cashier, I must be stupid or something. Since if I weren't "stupid" why wouldn't I have a "real" job?

It's amazing what people will say some of the time. Like if they have a produce order, they'll feel the need to tell me what each item is. And if I do pause for a second, it's because I'm looking up the code, not because I don't know what the hell it is.

I've also had people, really snotty people, tell me right to my face that since I'm "just" a cashier that I know nothing about food, (for all they know I could moonlight as a cook, and could have gone to culinary school,) so they have to explain exactly how they want things bagged.

Keep the cleaning stuff seperate, (no really, I thought you'd want soap all over your food,) and don't put hot stuff with cold stuff, (you mean you don't want melted ice cream?)

Seriously what is wrong with these people, and why do they find the need to always dictate to me?

because research has shown that people do not remember all the good customer service they receive, what they remember is the one time they got a bagger who was new or just an idiot, who bagged their rotisserie chicken with their ice cream. And for some people, it is such a horrific thing that they have to make sure that it NEVER EVER happens again.

Sad but true.
    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

If only SCs knew how many people I work with who are still in school (HS or college), graduated, etc., and still end up working there because they can't get jobs in their chosen field(s), or they don't make enough and need a second job.

Hell, some people just LIKE working retail, and do it out of the goodness of their hearts.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I like my ice cream melty
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Well, to be honest...

Half of the time when I visit my local Safeway, the individual that starts bagging my groceries couldnt find their way out of a wet paper bag. I've OFTEN ended up with my cold stuff scattered throughout all of my bags, crushable stuff (eggs even! ) in with canned and heavy goods, and so on.

However, if I see someone being an idiot now, I'll just tell them, "Thats okay, I'll take care of that." I sure as hell wouldnt lecture them on how to do their job.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
            Hell, some people just LIKE working retail, and do it out of the goodness of their hearts.
            Masochism at its finest

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
              Masochism at its finest
              Is that what my problem is?

I feel your pain Disney- just because we work in retail/sales/customer service, doesn't make us morons.
              I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I got tired of being treated like I was the scum of the earth simply because I was a cashier. Decent looking people who you think wouldn't hurt a fly would treat you as if they stayed at your register long enough then they'd turn into a "lowly cashier".
                I got news for stupid people-Being a cashier is a JOB. It's not very pleasant & it's not high paying but IT IS a JOB!!
                I can't wait for the day a cashier goes off on a customer at Wal-Mart. I'd pay to see that...LOL.

Comment

Quoth UncleImpy View Post
                  Half of the time when I visit my local Safeway, the individual that starts bagging my groceries couldnt find their way out of a wet paper bag. I've OFTEN ended up with my cold stuff scattered throughout all of my bags, crushable stuff (eggs even! ) in with canned and heavy goods, and so on.
                  Um... I work at Safeway.

I do know what you mean, though - in our store, most of the newer people are clueless when it comes to bagging groceries. We who have been there for years have to babysit them and tell them how to bag properly.

And, disneyfav4ever, I know how you feel about being treated as 'just a cashier'. I get a fair amount of that from snotty a$$holes too.

They apparently are so insecure that they have to treat everyone else like crap so they can feel smug, superior, and better about themselves.
                  It's like I'm wearing Eau de Moron and all of the idiots and assholes are attracted to me... -JuniorMintz

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                    Masochism at its finest
                    Ooooh, another adjective to add to my list.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                      Masochism at its finest
                      I guess this would apply to me since I'm probably going to be getting a second job at my old store. At least it's never boring.
                      "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Working...
                      X