Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid, there was some brand of root beer that came in brown stubbies, just like beer. So of course we kids would buy it and drink it out where grown-ups could see us. The number of people who charged up to our group ranting about the evils of beer was hilarious, and we found it even funnier to hold out the bottle and go 'Yeah... ROOT beer'.

Ah, how easy it was to be amused as a kid.
    What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Not just as a kid...I have done the same thing as an adult. Walk around in public places drinking a root beer or other non-alcoholic soda that was in beer-like bottles, just to see what, if any, attention we would get from cops or other authority figures. Always fun, that!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth smfrazier View Post
        Down here in Florida, teenagers have been drinking hand sanitizer to get high because it contains alcohol. Of course it makes them sick. I wonder if they are going to make us card people for hand sanitizer.
        That's also been happening in my area, so it might become a nationwide thing to start carding people for hand sanitizer. After all, everyone gets carded if they buy decongestants and some cough medicine such as NyQuil.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          true but it's less than .5%
          by that mentality you should have to card for vanilla extract and mouth wash because they both have alcohol
          We actually DID card for the vanilla essence at one point. As well as all food dyes and essences. It was more of a CYA issue because some kid interstate wound up drinking a bottle of vanilla essence and died from alcohol-induced hypothermia.

In the APY lands (Anangu Pitjantjara Yankulitjara, and I KNOW I spelt that wrong!), any product that contains alcohol is monitored in a similar way to psuedoepidepherine. This includes not only alcohol, but methylated spirits, mouthwash, hand sanitizer and so on. Basically you have to write down your details and how much you're buying. You can only buy so much at one time or in a month.
          It's meant to cut down on the people in those communities binge drinking or something like that.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Sometimes at work, I get the prompt to card people for ice cream.

Either the UPC or the department number or something in our system is a digit off.
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

i know at our store the card prompt would come up for Yoohoo! chocolate drink, but that was because it was delivered (at the time) through grey eagle and everything that came in through them was flagged in the system for id check
              Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
              Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
              Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                We used to card people for vanilla essence, food colouring and food essences.

Apparently some kids interstate had mixed the stuff into some soft drink, drunk it and then one of them ended up dying from hypothermia or similar.
                They didn't happen to be relatives of Vinegar Boy did they?
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Not just as a kid...I have done the same thing as an adult. Walk around in public places drinking a root beer or other non-alcoholic soda that was in beer-like bottles, just to see what, if any, attention we would get from cops or other authority figures. Always fun, that!
                  Or, even worse... drinking it in a car!

tho I did see one guy do a video about something similar... he was "testing" a water bottle nozzle in public, by holding it near his crotch and squeezing it so that, from behind it looked like he was taking a piss. it was on purpose so that he could record the cops "bugging" him about it. most cops just chuckled, but some were clearly pissed off (pun intended). couldn't get him on littering either cos... it was just water.

Comment

When I worked at Meijer, I had a customer flip out because I carded her for non-alcoholic beer (my register told me that you have to be at least 18 to buy it, though I didn't see that part). I didn't realize that it was non-alcoholic beer either, and the lady started informing me that it was non-alcoholic, she was in a hurry, couldn't I see that she was old enough, etc. Of course, she finally handed me her ID after a minute of berating me, and she only ended up being like 30.

Comment

I asked a customer for ID once for a case of Wild Cherry Pepsi. I was tired, feeling ill and not paying close attention. I saw the red on the carton and my mind immediately went to Budweiser. I apologized profusely and tried to explain, but she still thought I was a nutcase.

I have been carded for compressed air and lighters. The other day my 36-year-old friend was carded for condoms! That didn't make sense to me at all, since I thought it was important to prevent teen pregnancy, not make it harder for teens to get protection.

Comment

Working...
                      X