This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do/first world problem

Don't know if I need advice or just to vent. I think I know how I am going to handle the situation.

Background:

I was a stay at home mom by choice. I have two daughters born just shy of 13 months apart. By the time they were old enough to not need me as much I was no longer considered hire-able. I had been out of work too long. I could work for minimum wage in retail but that hardly seemed worth it. Now due to long term illness I cannot work. I do not qualify for disability because I chose to not work while my children were young. So it is just the 4 of us living off my husbands income as a baker in a grocery store. We have struggled financally over the years. So much so there were some years my daughters only got a small gift and a cupcake for their birthday.

Things have gotten a little better for us in the past year but we still do not have much disposable income. As such our oldest daughter wanted to go to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios for her 18th birthday this year. I have saved and set aside money and was able to obtain tickets for just the two of us this Friday and the cost of a hotel for 1 night.

My youngest daughter was invited by one of her friends and her family to go to Halloween Horror nights this Saturday (the invitation was offered over 1 month ago). I just found out this evening that they expect me to buy the admission ticket for my daughter. I did not expect this and had made no plans for it. They are VERY well off. They live in a gated neighborhood with a 3/4 million dollar home. I live in a moble home that is over 30 years old.

If I invited someone to join us I always paid. I thought that was how it was done. The invitee pays.

Now, I have to either scrape up the money and we will just have to eat really, really cheap for the next week and have no extra spending for my Oldest 18th birthday trip. Or tell my daughter she cannot go 2 days before the trip. She will need around $100.00 for admission and food.

Then there is the problem of this trip is my oldest's birthday gift. It doesn't seem fair to tell her " this is your gift" and oh your sister gets to go to the same place and she still gets to have her birthday gift/special event because it's already paid for.

Sockpuppet

What a mess. I'm so sorry for your situation.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

If your daughter is a teenager she is more than old enough to understand your financial situation. My oldest is 8 and he understands we can't do some things because we can't afford them. I don't see any problem with telling your daughter the truth and reiterating that your older daughter is going as a gift you had to save up for. She can choose what to tell her friend if they ask for a reason.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

IMO you should talk with your daughters about this, tell your younger daughter why what her friend did was bad, and ask her what she thinks about the problem. It'd make a good life lesson that way, no matter which way it goes.

Comment

Thanks all. What you have suggested is pretty much what I had decided.

Sockpuppet

Comment

Coming in late here just to say I'm sorry you're in the middle of this mess. Hope your daughter was okay with how you handled it.

And yeah, the host-wannabes should definitely have paid.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I would also be sure to explain to the other parents, exactly why your daughter isn't going with her friend, and mention how long it took you to save for the other daughter's trip.
              Last edited by Mental_Mouse; 11-03-2017, 06:30 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
              X