This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sooner ... or later?

I've been apartment hunting, and let me tell you, it's been a treat.
    Not.

Most ads have email links on them so you can put in your name and email addy and ask for further information about the unit.

At least eight out of 10 never result in responses. Which does tend to make me wonder about the company running that particular unit.

However, one place has responded. They seem to have a lot of units emptying out, which might be a bad thing, but ATM I'm in no position to be too fussy. As long as my cats are welcome and there are no bedbugs or cockroaches, I'll be fine (at least until I can catch my breath and find someplace else, if need be).

So here's the issue: They have two one-bedroom units coming available: one on Jan. 1 and one on Feb. 1. Assuming both are the same price (apparently they are doing some renovating and the fully renovated units are going for a slightly higher price), I am undecided which to apply for.

The February one would take some pressure off me NOW (and brother might not be too happy about it, but it's not a long enough delay to generate any real anger on his part ... at least, I don't think so). I am currently juggling two jobs, looking for a permanent job, trying to get my stuff out of the house and into storage (and today it's pouring rain so I can pack, but not much will actually get out of the house). If I put first and last on that unit, that means that's one thing I can check off my list and then it's just a matter of waiting until I can get in there.

The main benefit of the January 1 one would be that, once accomplished, the chaos of moving is over and done with.

I'm a natural procrastinator so am leaning slightly towards the Feb. 1 unit, but ...

Thoughts?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I think, given the choice, that I would apply for the Feb 1 unit, and then go about packing and preparing to move as if I were planning to move Jan 1. Get everything you can do without for a couple of months packed up and ready to shift, then if anything goes pancake shaped you're maybe not in quite as much of a panic as you might otherwise be. And if Murphy doesn't look your way, then you should be able to do the actual move with a minimum of stress, and very little last minute pitching stuff into boxes.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I'd opine taking the January one - and telling Brother it's February. That'd mean an extra month's rent but it'd also mean you could move things over in a more leisurely fashion while still occupying the house.

Comment

I'm with Kittish -- moving is one of those things where Something Always Goes Wrong, and having an extra month to sort whatever-it-is out is likely to be very helpful.

Comment

Working...
        X