This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice - Landlord (warning: long)

Looking for some advice here since Google-Fu is failing me.

Small background: even though I teach as a special education teacher now, it's at a residential facility, which under state law classes me as essential personnel. As such, I'm required to go to work, no matter what. I also live in a split level home with another tenant, a similar home is next door, and all 4 of us share a small parking lot behind the houses. We have our own snow removal guy who takes care of plowing, snowblowing and such who usually calls before coming by so we can move our cars. /end bg

So last week's bombogenesis storm, as it was put, was pretty nuts, and as I expected I went in to work. It wasn't too bad early in the morning but all area schools had closed, we were still open for our residents. However when they went back to their residences at 3 we were told to GTFO.

I took a coworker with me to and from work since Panzer handles snow well, but before I hit the road I called my landlord to see if our plow guy had been by to try and get a head start on the snow. I was told he hadn't but he had said he was planning on getting there by 7. So the coworker and I travel back to the city, and I find the driveway hasn't been touched, but neither has the school across the street where I usually stash the car. So we do the only logical thing: find the area pub, have something hot and something cold, and tip well.

About 630 he takes a cab back to his end of the city, I check and still haven't gotten a call from the plow guy, so I end up parking lot hopping down the street, feeling the wind blow the car around (40+mph...), moving if I get shooed away.

730 I swing by the house and he still hasn't come, so I park up the street a half mile away at a church lot and call the landlord's number. I get his wife (who actually owns the property) who says he (the landlord) was over there right now. I tell her he wasn't, and then I get scolded for being out on the roads, and "Don't you know there's a travel ban?"

"I'm essential personnel, I had to go in," I tell her, to which she responds that there's no such thing, she's never heard of that before. We hang up and I decide to head back..only to get stuck at the end of the church driveway. Really stuck. Luckily someone up the road saw me and helped shovel me out.

I get back to the house, now the landlord is calling me asking where I am. He sees me coming down the road, flashes his high beams at me, and directs me down a side street to park and wait. Meanwhile he's got two guys -one I know is his grandson, the other I'm not sure - and they have shovels and a snowblower. No plow. Once again I'm scolded for being out, and I once again have to defend myself by stating I'm essential personnel and therefore mandated to report in to work, and once again I'm treated like I'm lying.

I go pull down the side street and I can hear his voice over the phone. I realize quickly he's left me on speaker and forgotten to hang up - and he's cussing me out to his grandson, saying I'm bitchy, what was I doing out there anyway, and I swear I hear something like "We don't need to clear that space, then?" About five minutes later he meets me down the side road and says to give the guys another 10 minutes then pull in. I tell him I heard everything he was saying about me over the phone. He couldn't hear me, so i repeat myself. Meanwhile I can hear myself coming through his phone in his car; he still hasn't hung up the call. We part ways and I go pull into the driveway.

...except when I pull in, I find they've cleared all the tenants' spaces BUT mine. There was well over a foot of snow in my space, and I highly doubt the wind could have blown that much snow over in 10 minutes. Livid, I call him back over, we shovel down what we can, and 45 minutes later I'm finally in my own house again, my clothes frozen to me.

I don't sleep well that night, so around midnight I see an orange light in the driveway, raise a brow and try to go back to sleep.

The next morning I'm heading in to work again when I get a phone call from our plow guy, wondering why nobody had called him over at all. He said he snuck over around midnight and saw the shoddy job done, and was going to be over within the hour to finish. I told him I was on my way to work and he goes "Ahh, you're essential now huh?" I come home Friday and the job was done.

My landlord is a bit..frugal at best, I guess? I've gone to him about the pilot light going ou3 times in a month in my water tank and discovered the thing was purchased back in 2001, it really ought to be replaced. Plow guy (our designated maintenance guy, really), also agrees. Landlord? Goes "Guess you'll be taking cold showers for a while?" At least I got the pilot light lit again...But given this, and a previous pipe incident, I wouldn't put it past him to skimp calling the plow guy to cut corners, and leaving my parking space undone was basically a big F you.

Just wondering what I should do next...I started by looking up snow removal laws but he's really only responsible for the walkways and doorsteps, not the drive. I was going to poke the other neighbors and see about us hiring plow guy ourselves so we know he'll actually come out here instead of waiting on the landlord. In the meantime I'm trying to come up with other options so I'm able to get to work. His great idea was park it in a city garage downtown and take a cab to and from my apartment, but that will add up quick over the course of the season. I expect to hear "move" as an option but it's really not in the cards right now, especially with things going on between the boyfriend and I. It doesn't make much sense right now to move out of this place into another me-sized space, then move again and break a lease early when the boy bends the knee and we move in together.

I'm just at a loss since I've never worked a job that was so important as this. Every other daycare has been like "Pssh, we'll probably close if SOE is called" but I get to take that and travel bans and stick 'em where the sun don't shine.

Any advice is definitely appreciated

It's tangential, but check your local/state laws about landlord responsibilities regarding providing you with a livable apartment -- depriving you of heat would certainly be a no-no, and dragging his feet on the hot water heater and snow might be.

As for the "Essential personnel" thing -- Check with work and ask them for a copy of the relevant law(s) or at least a link. The next time the LL gives you shit about it, hand him a copy Might wanna keep a copy in your car, as well, in case a cop tries to pull you over during a traven-ban session. That, and maybe ask if you really DO have to show up when there's a travel ban...?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Just an off the top of my head idea. Could your boss send your landlord a letter confirming that you are essential personnel serving a highly vulnerable population? I'm thinking very formal language along the line You questioned (Your legal name) being out on the roads during a travel ban. I am confirming that (Your Legal name's) status as essential personnel. Our school does not close due to weather because students live on site and need their daily routine maintained for their health. Please do not question or harass (Your Legal Name) in regard to travel bans in the future.

I'm in Texas so my experience with snow is it is snowing we are all going to die. I do know that here the bar association has legal aid for tenant-landlord disputes for a reduced cost or free. If you are part of a teachers' Union or association (depending on your state) they may have resources for a legal consultation since this seems to be in retaliation for you doing your rob.

Comment

I work security at an essential communication hub for my province which means I am also considered essential - as soon as I say where I work there aren't any questions asked, thankfully. As for the issue with your landlord, check with local tenancy & residential laws because they are different everywhere. Usually, if something is supposed to be provided by the landlord they are supposed to provide it within a reasonable amount of time not when they decide to get off their ass and do a slap-up job of it. As for your hot water tank, I know here that if you don't have hot water that it can be enough to consider a place uninhabitable and the landlord MUST fix it or the tenant can move without providing notice or they can go through government channels to get the hot water issue resolved and the landlord can end up with a fine and a huge repair bill while the tenant pays their rent to the particular government agency instead of the landlord - the landlord will only get that rent once the repair/replacement has been done and inspected.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          It's tangential, but check your local/state laws about landlord responsibilities regarding providing you with a livable apartment -- depriving you of heat would certainly be a no-no, and dragging his feet on the hot water heater and snow might be.

As for the "Essential personnel" thing -- Check with work and ask them for a copy of the relevant law(s) or at least a link. The next time the LL gives you shit about it, hand him a copy Might wanna keep a copy in your car, as well, in case a cop tries to pull you over during a traven-ban session. That, and maybe ask if you really DO have to show up when there's a travel ban...?
          I did, and at least in my state he's only responsible for clearing the sidewalks in front of the property, and any walkways leading up to the doorways in front, back, and on the sides of the units. Nothing about the driveway, at least in the law.

I have a badge I need to wear while working with my name and photo on it, as well as my position and company name. I've been told I can show that to an officer if I get pulled over, and they can look the company up if they question anything. The badge never leaves my car, but I don't have anything otherwise that says I'm essential.

Quoth kaherbert View Post
          Just an off the top of my head idea. Could your boss send your landlord a letter confirming that you are essential personnel serving a highly vulnerable population? I'm thinking very formal language along the line You questioned (Your legal name) being out on the roads during a travel ban. I am confirming that (Your Legal name's) status as essential personnel. Our school does not close due to weather because students live on site and need their daily routine maintained for their health. Please do not question or harass (Your Legal Name) in regard to travel bans in the future.
          This is actually a pretty good plan, I haven't had a chance yet to talk to my principal (my boss) about what happened yet and she's pretty easy to talk to. I might run this by her tomorrow and show her the pictures I took of the driveway when I got home during the storm.

Comment

I can see where the law would not cover parking. So, what does the lease say? Also, if parking is included in the lease, then the parking must be accessible. The same reason they have to shovel the sidewalk to allow you access to the door to your apartment. They can't deprive you access.

Also, looks for a tenet advocate group in your area,

While you may not be authorized to have the snow guy plow the spaces, you can tell him how deep the snow is. Let him prod the landlord.

Other than that, buy a snow shovel?
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I have a shovel, but it does me no good if I'm coming home from work (again, essential personnel) during a storm and have no where to put the car. The city has a parking ban during snowstorms so I can't park in the street, and because they had closed school their parking lot was low on the priority list.

Comment

Working...
              X