This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I word reason for leaving?

I am thinking of picking up a weekend retail job in a company I worked for years ago. It is in a strip mall, but basically what I'd consider a free-standing store. I left my other retail after 13 years and the immediate reason was that I was injured again, this time due to my coworker's negligence. That may not have put me to quitting in and of itself, but I'd been thinking about it because I was working 7 days a week and Christmas was coming up. This job was inside a busy mall that is one of the biggest in my state and I didn't want to be there during the holidays, especially since my last concussion had happened at Christmas time due to the piles of merchandise just everywhere. (We had nowhere to go with it at the service desk and I fell over a box that shouldn't have been on the floor.)

That all sounds so negative because, well, it is. I'm thinking of writing something like "I feel comfortable in a retail store but prefer not to work inside of a mall." That's truthful; I know the increased traffic in mall stores is why the majority of the injuries in our store happened. There were too many people causing us to try to work too quickly or there was excess merchandise because of the volume of shoppers. Those things made for an unsafe work environment. (So did the various bomb threats and people with guns in the mall over the years.) If pressed in an interview I wouldn't want to mention my injury if I didn't have to. I'm not sure what I would say. I want to be truthful but not negative.

Any advice?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

It sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on it. You might also mention the "hazardous working conditions" at the old job -- if pressed for details, start with your injuries and then mention the threats and such.

Comment

Working...
    X