Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking of taking up another instrument.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking of taking up another instrument.

I'm mostly a guitarist. I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I like playing. I tinker with bass guitar and lead guitar, too, but mostly I play acoustic and "rhythm" guitar.

Recently I've been thinking of taking up another instrument. But I can't decide which one.

I don't want it to be too expensive to get started, just in case I lose interest and decide to stick with guitar.

That said, my kiddo has been learning piano, so that's an option since we already have a keyboard.

I've been wondering about others. So do we have any multi-instrumentalists in here? I've been thinking about violin (or fiddle), but I don't know. I have an old clarinet at home, but no reeds for it, and I don't think clarinet is really my thing.

Saxophone might be interesting, but that seems a little pricey for something I might just dabble in. Drums might be fun, but I'd need more room and one of those electric drum kits. And I don't know if being left-handed is a detriment or not. Also, I don't know if I have the right rhythm to drum.

Of course, I could always work on improving my guitar skills, and adding bass guitar.

Thoughts?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I really enjoy playing the Dobro and the mandolin.
    Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

I just ordered one of these: Hagstrom Retroscape H8 8-string Bass... I had an original '71-75 that I gave to a friend in Oregon. My theme for the next few weeks? I Am Waiting
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        I just ordered one of these: Hagstrom Retroscape H8 8-string Bass... I had an original '71-75 that I gave to a friend in Oregon. My theme for the next few weeks? I Am Waiting
        I'll raise you four more strings...

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          I'll raise you four more strings...
          Yahbut... Did Jimi rcord with one of those?

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
            Drums might be fun, but I'd need more room and one of those electric drum kits. And I don't know if being left-handed is a detriment or not. Also, I don't know if I have the right rhythm to drum.
            A good percussion instructor will be able to advise on how to adapt for being left-handed.

As for drum kits, you CAN get a practice pad to use until you feel more confident. (And it would be something I'd recommend as someone who is primarily self-taught on drums. My dad did the same thing and he's ENTIRELY self-taught) This is a practice pad

Electric drum kits also do not take up a huge amount of space - my dad's drum kit is roughly about the size of this desk . Add a pair of headphones and you're set.

Bass is fairly easy to pick up for the most part if you do want to stick to guitar though. Just wait until you get to the slap bass though...>.>

Comment

I got my bass Everybody in the house will know when my 5AM alarm goes off! Cuz I'll play that old bugle tune, "Revile"!

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                I got my bass Everybody in the house will know when my 5AM alarm goes off! Cuz I'll play that old bugle tune, "Revile"!
                Nice! What amp are you running it through?

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  Nice! What amp are you running it through?
                  My buddy's old Peavey TNT 100 that he rumbled through the '70s with.

Comment

Working...
                  X