Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Tanasi View Post
    would have to significantly improve just to suck...
    I'm stealing this.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• They built a new branch of the library in a neighboring town called Alexandria. Every time we go there I tell them to make sure their smoke detectors work. I think they think it's s pretty funny joke.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• I got reminded this weekend of just how supportive the re-enactment club I'm a member of can be.

One of our newer members opted to make her debut at the first fair we do every year. This fair happens to have cannons and guns going off at different points as part of the show the WWII guys do. Turns out that this particular member has some PTSD issues from witnessing drive-by shootings when she was younger and had difficulty coping with the cannons/guns going off.

Our response? Lots of hugs, back rubs, checking in on her regularly and the offer for her to come and sit behind us in one of the displays we had going until the noise stopped. (Said display has a fair bit of room in the back, but it has a comforting effect if people need to hide somewhere for a while)

Comment

• Quoth LadyofArc View Post
          One of our newer members opted to make her debut at the first fair we do every year. This fair happens to have cannons and guns going off at different points as part of the show the WWII guys do. Turns out that this particular member has some PTSD issues from witnessing drive-by shootings when she was younger and had difficulty coping with the cannons/guns going off.
          Are you doing medieval re-enactment? If she can't see the cannons and guns, just tell her the sounds are dragons breaking wind.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Arg, watching a tv show and they said that Yellowstone is like 100 miles from Seattle and I want to yell "IT'S CALLED GOOGLE MAPS. USE IT." More like 700 miles, does nobody even bother anymore?
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              Are you doing medieval re-enactment? If she can't see the cannons and guns, just tell her the sounds are dragons breaking wind.
              For her, it was actually the fact that she couldn't see them which was setting her off. She mentioned to us that if she knows where the guns are and where they're firing, she's fine. This particular fair covers not only medieval stuff, but also re-enactors ranging from the Napleonic to 20th century (eg WWI/WWII) as well as various artisans. The fair itself actually started as an artisan event.

Yes, it is medieval re-enactment. Most of our group (me included) have a disability or mental health issue of some sort (we don't advertise ourselves as a disability-specific group, we're just good people ). General rule of thumb is "Tell someone, we don't need to know the full details, just tell us what the issue is and what we can do to help."

Comment

• Watching a French murder show at 5 am because because between 5-6 am is the only time I actually get to watch what I want on TV.

Comment

• Quoth mjr View Post
                  I'm stealing this.
                  with my blessings...
                  Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

• Every time someone asks me if I've found a job yet and I say, "No, but I will," I wonder if they can tell I have absolutely no confidence in what I'm saying?
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

• Waiting for the first pictures of my third granddaughter...

She's here! (Well there) Wonder how long it will be before she gets a name... and when I'll get to see her, since they're 6,980 miles away.
                      Last edited by dalesys; 04-26-2018, 07:53 PM.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Did she ever get a name?

I'm at the point in my book where I am near the end and it is SO GOOD that literally doing anything that is not reading is pissing me off.

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                          Did she ever get a name? ...
                          He's claiming a postponment because they're part Native American. Yep. I'm 1/128th, so they're 1/256th & 1/512th.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Dear world, I assure you it is possible to shut up about these things for five whole seconds:

* Comic book and super hero movies
                            * Game of Thrones
                            * Star Wars and Star Trek
                            * Stranger Things
                            * Breaking Bad
                            * Mean Girls
                            * Friends
                            * Twilight and Fifty Shades of Rape Grey
                            * The Kardashians

Really, it is.
                            I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

• Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              Every time someone asks me if I've found a job yet and I say, "No, but I will," I wonder if they can tell I have absolutely no confidence in what I'm saying?
                              My sympathies! I am once again unemployed as well. Had an interview last week -- about mid-week -- for a job that I would really like to get and was told there would be secondary interviews ... haven't heard a thing yet.

Nor have I hard back from the local Crown Attorney's office, which is hiring for their "on-call pool" and for which I took a test and interview a few months ago. I passed the test with flying colours and was told I did well in the interview. However, at the time they were hiring for fulltime, and you generally have to have been working there on an 'on-call' basis for quite some time to get in fulltime. This recent posting was for the on-call positions. Sent in my resume again and ... nada.

Want to go halfsies on the next Powerball ... ?
                              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I would love to give my name to a girl.It's not that common for lads...although Harry Potter has helped...but never seen it fora girl.It would be a unique contribution
                                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                                X