This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Anatomy

Not what you want to hear from the surgeon while you are in recovery.

I had my gallbladder removed on Wednesday, 8/26. When I came out, the surgeon told The Wife that it took a little longer due to me having unusual anatomy. However, everything looked good otherwise.

Then at 1:00 AM Thursday morning, I woke The Wife and told her to call an ambulance. My abdomen was severely distended. I could only take a short gasp of breath before the sharp pain in my diaphragm forced me to stop and exhale.

After arriving at the hospital, I was given a healthy dose of pain meds and placed on a BiPAP to help me breathe. The next several days would be a little fuzzy.

That unusual anatomy was a very long and wide cystic duct. Apparently, the clamp to seal off the gallbladder did not seal. I was leaking bile. It was decided that my gastroenterologist would install a stent. This was done via an upper endoscopy. I was still in a great amount of pain, so they decided to do it under general anesthesia. Turned out to be a good call as the unusual anatomy made the procedure more difficult. It also did not help. I was still leaking. Now, both my surgeon and my gastroenterologist have declared that I have the longest cystic duct that they have ever seen.

They decided to try again with a longer and wider stent. They also enlarged the opening of the duct to reduce pressure and increase the bile flow. And I was still leaking.

The surgeon then decided to go back in and install a pair of JP drains. One at the leak and one in the bottom of the abdomen as a catch all.

All of the above occurred over the course of six days. The drains were put in 9/1. As they were holding open options for procedures, I was also NPO the entire time. Not like I was hungry through any of this, but no water left me with severe dry mouth. On the plus side, I did get a happy button (PCA). Pain meds as needed.

The drains are working. The abdominal swelling reduced. By 9/3, I was able to get out of bed. Unfortunately, the bowels started working on 9/2. Jennifer the PCT, you are an angel. I am sorry for what I put you through that night.

I was released on 9/10. Fourteen days in the hospital. Unable to get out of bed for five days straight.

Looks like the bile leak has closed up. Not much coming out the bile drain. I will get the abdomen drain removed next week. The bile drain will probably come out the week of 9/27. Now all I have to do is wait.

On the plus side, my surgeon will be presenting my case at the next conference he attends. I'm going to be in the medical books!
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Holy crap, that's not a good way to become famous! Yikes!!

Glad you're feeling better. What a mess!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Next time you're nil-by-mouth, ask if you can have some 'fake saliva' gel, or if you can swish water around in your mouth then spit it out. Either may help with the dry mouth, without putting so much liquid down your throat as to be a problem.

The bowels working are a great sign after any sort of abdominal surgery, and I am certain that Jennifer-the-PCT was professionally happy to have it happen. Even if there was a great deal of unpleasant work caused by it.

Final thoughts: I'm glad it all seems to be working out well.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Lots of rinse and spit. They did give me a mouth rinse that was suppose to create a moister barrier.

The entire staff there is great. I am so lucky to have such a great hospital in my area. Today, The Wife dropped off a thank you card, balloons and cookies for the day staff. We have another round for the night staff that will be dropped off tomorrow.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I'm so glad you're ok. I guess it's cool to be in the medical books. Maybe they will name it after you?
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Unusual antomy is fun, a friend of mine has a complete situs inversus. All his organs are on the other side, i.e. the liver is supposed to be on the right side, his is on the left. His heart is on the right, not on the left. He loves the confused look on the face of a new doctor, when she listens to his heart. Just to be safe he wears a medical bracelet, a confused paramedic or doctor in an emergency is a bad idea.

You are realy lucky to have a great hospital in your area, in an emergency like yours it makes all the difference. I bet the staff loves you for feeding them cookies.
            No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
            X