X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too good at following directions?

I suppose I should be happy.

About a year ago we got new gas pumps, and for reasons beyond my understanding the new pumps required that we get new pinpads.
    And for some reason, the chip reader on the new pinpads is incompatible with our POS software or whatever. the installers felt this would be fixed "soon", but it's been a year so far.

Now, when the pinpad is ready for a cusromer is will say on the screen "please swipe card". People didn't notice this and would put their card in the chip reader slot.
    We tried putting signs on the pinpad that said "no chip, please swipe". Doesn't help.
    We tried putting signs in the chip reader, but people would just jam their card in with the sign.
    We covered the little icon that shows where the chip reader is with electrical tape. We covered the slot with electrical tape, too. People will press their card against the tape hard enough to push the tape into the slot.

So now there are two signs on the pinpad: one near the top, and one at the bottom. People will lift the sign at the bottom to look for the slot to insert their card.

But this guy didn't do any of that. This guy could apparently read directions. Maybe too well, because all those "please swipe" signs on the pinpad are for people using cards.
    This guy swiped a crisp new $20 bill through our card reader and seemed confused when nothing happened.

He seemed a little child-like. I kinda think he has only rarely been allowed to be the person paying for things. (That is, I think he has a developmental disability and this may have been his first time in a store on his own. If I'm right, then dude you're doing REALLY well. Good Job.)
    But this being so much the opposite of what most people do, and yet still wrong, made me need to share it.

Coming soon on CustomersSuck.com:

"But I swiped my $20 bill in the pinpad. Why do I need to give it to you?"
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Or: "But I did a mobile deposit of the cash with your phone app. Why do I have to hand it over?"
      Last edited by Seanette; 03-21-2018, 02:53 AM. Reason: fixing typo
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

SpyOne: That would actually make a good NAR story. An excellent demonstration of Finagle's Law, in any case.

Comment

And to think....these people somehow managed to get a license to drive. They are on the road, in large metal coffins, trying to make adult decisions.

I fear for the human race.
          Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

And when I was at dollar store people would swipe over and over gain with chip cards....

Comment

Was he Japanese? They have fancy gas pumps that take cash over there. If we had them here I would use them all the time instead of having to argue with the infernal computer over whether or not my bank's chip card is compatible with their blankty-blank-blank system. (not at the staff, they are yelling at the computers too.)

Some people around my parts would rejoice at going back to a cash system (though sadly, we are still a minority. but a few people at work agree with me though)
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
              X