This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any LARPers out there?

I'm a noob at LARPing, but I joined a group yesterday and made a character sheet and did a basic "stand around and pretend while the Plot give you background and test the rule system". It was fun, actually.

Anyway, I was thinking about my character, and I have a question. See, the only cosplay outfit I have is a pirate, so I wanted to work that into my character, and the guy helping me did do that. Except, he had to leave partway through, and let the creator of this LARP add to my character....

He started laughing when he heard the pirate thing....

So apparently, there is a band of NPC pirates in this. Rick (creator) had my backstory be, essentially, that I was one of those pirates, but now I've left and they're hunting me. My question is: why did I leave the scary pirates that want to kill me now?

Oh, character! I'm a Miu (leopard-furry) Rhukichii (Gypsy) of the Mu'ltave'rii family (known for being thieves and brigands). I have Medium (see dead people), Enhanced Sight (exactly what it says on the tin), Light Sleeper (ten minutes head start on weekend trips!) and Regeneration (healing factor) Advantages, Hunted/Wanted (the scary pirates want me and will kill me on sight), Addiction-Alcohol (have to "drink" every hour or I start getting poison effects), Compulsion-Cleanliness (...I'm a cat), and Racial Memory (Plot can make me go into a trance at any time)

For skills, I have Mariner level 3, Navigator level 1, Merchant level 1 (former pirate. Navigating and ability to know good swag would be picked up along the way.) and level 2 in the Blade Dancer martial school.

Oh, yeah! I'm a gypsy, so I can curse people. or if they kill me, one of my Familia can curse them on my behalf. And my race has death acceptance, so I don't think I could have a dead mate in backstory.
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

I can think of a few reasons why someone might want to leave a pirate group.

1. You were young, and stupid, and thought pirating was romantic, turns out, it's murderin' folks and taking their stuff.

2. You've had some kind of revelation, be it religious or otherwise, and have realized that murderin' folks and/or taking their stuff is bad.

3. You had an argument with the leader/a prominent member of the pirate group over a girl/boy, or treasure, or something, and since that person is more powerful in the group than you were, they won. You got pissy and left/they decided you were too much trouble and tried to kill you.

4. Turns out, you're not very good at pirating, and kept getting the pirates into trouble, so they threw you out/tried to kill you.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Or you were going to win the fight in #3 but the leader was going to have you killed if you officially did, so you left while the going was good.

Or your family was in trouble and you left without permission.
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

We've decided that i stole a shiney, and the Plot is going to use my shiney.

I fear for my character.

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
          I fear for my character.
          If Jennie Breeden's orc comes after you, you'd best fear for more than your character...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I love that comic!

I've been wanting to try LARPing for a while, but don't know of how to go about it. I'd need to find a group who's willing to work with a complete and total newbie (have never even played D&D!).
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              I love that comic!

I've been wanting to try LARPing for a while, but don't know of how to go about it. I'd need to find a group who's willing to work with a complete and total newbie (have never even played D&D!).
              I have been wanting to do it also but it is hard to find info about groups. Plus it doesn't help that I am very shy (though i am working on it)
              Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I larp. I larp every single weekend. Sometimes both days on the weekends, usually just Saturdays. I play in several White Wolf Vampire the Masquerade larps in Buffalo, and one Werewolf larp (White Wolf as well)

http://owbn.net/game-directory

World wide larps that are interconnected with the White Wolf genre larps.

Buffalo, NY where I larp also has a couple of other larps at are not a part of the One World by Night org.

We are everywhere!

Comment

Too bad you already have your background. Came up with a decent one *laughs*.

Saw the first mate stealing from the Captain (which would get the first mate killed). First mate blames the theft on you, and of course being first mate is believed over your character. Now your character is wanted by the pirates for a crime they didn't commit.

((Not actually part of the background, but just can not resist))
                  Fleeing to the <your world> Underground, you survive as a soldier of fortune. If somebody is in trouble, and IF they can find you ... maybe they can hire <Your character>. *music starts*

Cookies for reference.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I was one of the creators of Allout Helter (I dunno if anyone here knows about that...it was a long time ago and local to the southeast US. ) It was a lot of work to run that beast, but it was fun! It ran at Dragon Con one year.

Comment

Ooh! The site's back up! Splendid...

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                        ((Not actually part of the background, but just can not resist))
                        Fleeing to the <your world> Underground, you survive as a soldier of fortune. If somebody is in trouble, and IF they can find you ... maybe they can hire <Your character>. *music starts*

Cookies for reference.
                        The A-Team, of course!

I played in a Vampire: The Masquerade LARP for a bit. I was a Tremere, and had everyone else terrified in the game, despite the fact any single one of them could have destroyed my character. I was very good a playing certain people off against one another, and arranged for things to happen "out of game" that made it look like I was some huge power-monger magic user, when I was the head Tremere because I was the only one in the city at the time.

I kind-of miss that character. I had a pit with a giant, carniverous duck that I captured from a rogue Malkavian. Nothing gets respect like having a player who knows his last character was eaten by a killer duck.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Oh, anyone in the Atlanta area, it's called Dark Passages (www.darkpassageslarp.com) and the very first (!) event will be April 28th at the Secrets Factory in Atlanta.

So come on by! (and say that Katy sent you, because I need more points to get Stealth)

Comment

Cookies for Geek King. Whenever I see a character who has been accused of a crime they didn't commit..I can not help but hear the theme song in my head...lol.
                            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                            X