This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upcoming dental work (a bit nervous)

*just something I needed to get off my chest......not really asking for advice or anything, but if anyone has been in a similar situation, I'd be much interested to hear how you handled it)

To give some background info - it's been around ten years since I last went to the dentist, partially due to financial issues and lack of insurance, but also because I'd become VERY cavity-prone as an adult. (last dental exam, I had 30+ cavities, and although they all got fixed, I'm really paranoid about that happening again)

Anyways, I'm needing to get restoration work done on one of my back teeth, and am a bit concerned about being able to pay for it. My income and credit score aren't high enough to qualify for Care Credit or other financing options, and I hate to have to piggyback on my mom's credit history. (although I think she'd be willing to help me out with this) And whil this office does have a "reduced fee" program, things like crowns/root canals (which is what I'll probably need) are still a bit expensive.

I do have some savings in the bank, but I'd get charged a "withdrawl penalty" for taking anything out before the CDs are up for renewal, but that might be the only way I can get this done.

I'm in the same boat as you as far as credit, but I have dental insurance through work. If I didn't, I could probably get on county health/dental care. It's an overcrowded system, but it would be free or low-cost. It's just that appointments are hard to get. I hope you are able to swing the cost this time and get dental insurance after.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Talk to your dentist about paying in installments. Mine allows this when it's over 75 and you dont have insurance. But he requires the plan to be in place before the appointment.

Comment

I don't think this dental office (they're part of a larger group) has a set-up for paying in installments, but that's not to say that they wouldn't work with me on something. In the meantime though, I figure the best thing to do is try to save up money, so I won't have to pull as much out of my savings.

Comment

See if you can find a local dental college. Greatly reduced rates.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Dental schools can be great. All the work is supervised by qualified dentists. The only drawback is that they don't always have the flexibility for appointments. The one out here only has certain days available, and you have to commit to something like 2-3 hours per appt., since after all they are a teaching facility so they are going to take longer than your average dentist. But if there is a dental school in your area, check into it, I'd imagine each one has its own policies.

It's good that you're going to get this done, though. Bad teeth can lead to other serious health problems, including heart disease. I'm going again tomorrow, almost done with all the fillings. The bill is getting up there, but it will only get more expensive if I wait.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
            X