This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog potty issues

Dobby has been odd lately. While he was a little difficult to housebreak, he's been doing really great most of the time, and we figure he's about a year old or so now. But on Saturday, I got up, took him out to poop and pee, and then brought him back in. When I got out of the shower, he'd pooped on the floor by the back door. After already pooping outside.

Yesterday, I got up, took him out, and while I was getting ready for work, my Mom was up and let Annie the Shih Tzu out. When she came back in with Annie, she found Dobby pooping on the floor by the door again. Usually if he sees her taking one of the other dogs out, he'll ask to go too if he has to. I can't just let him out off leash, because he squeezes out from the fence and goes into the neighbor's yard and it's a huge ordeal getting him back. Right now he doesn't even need to do that, since we're doing some work and the bricks we use as skirting on the house (a double-wide) are moved, so he can just go right under the house and be zip-gone.

Do we need to adjust his feeding schedule or is he doing this because he doesn't want me to go to work? A fellow animal lover in the pharmacy says maybe he's acting out because he knows I'm leaving. He doesn't do this on my days off or the days I don't go in until late afternoons.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

I had a dog doing this and one I could trust enough to put on one of those long leads. He would poo a couple times outside and then be good the rest of the day. Mom always said it took him a bit of walking around to get all the poo ready to come out.

Comment

My coworker's dog has been piddling on the floor when he's left alone. Their trainer said it's separation anxiety, caused by the dog thinking he's the alpha. Go back to basics - the dog is either right next to you, or in a crate. If the dog is near you, work on commands, and on the dog having a spot he stays in if you're not working him. Don't let him make any decisions on his own for a bit.

A good training source is the Dog Whisperer. His book on Amazon is only around $10.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
        OT: Your signature. Have you heard this version? Nature Boy - Grace Slick & the Great Society
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

It could very well be behavioral. But before we think of that, let's look at this:

When you let Dobby out, you're getting ready for work. You may be in a hurry and not letting him finish his business. Because he's still a puppy he has an accident.

On your days off you are not in a hurry and you let him finish.

Food for thought.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I will second Panacea. What in your actions indicate you are leaving? Do you only take a shower just before you leave the house?

Also, when you are outside, get him to run. It will help "move things along."
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

He sleeps in a crate at night, when I have to leave in the mornings, I will get up, do my own pottying, and start the coffee, because he actually takes so long to decide where to go, so I save time by getting that stuff out of the way first. He'll pee, maybe pee again, then take a few minutes running/circling and looking for that perfect spot before he finally poops, but then he does that little scratch up the ground behind him thing and heads for the house, usually because he knows my Mom is awake by then and he's not happy until he's seen her and she's sat and held him for a few minutes. Until this weekend, she said he usually did another poo when she takes him outside while she's feeding the horses, or he'll wait until 11 or noon to do it (My morning shift is typically 9-6, so we get up around 7)

dalesys, no, I hadn't heard that version before. That's a different take on it I'm rather partial to the Nat King Cole and Bowie versions, myself.

Comment

Working...
              X