This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs

Whats with small dogs trying to act like big dogs and big dogs trying to act like small dogs?

I have to mini weiner dogs. They try to act vicious . My friends have pitbulls and huskies that want to sit on your lap. My head can't wrap around it.

I don't know, but my earliest experience with a small dog was not a good one. We had two German Shepherds...my grandmother had a toy poodle. The Shepherds were for the most part gentle giants...the poodle was a nasty little bastard. I think my grandmother's own behavior (and mental conditions) had a lot to do with it. He was weird...he'd be really happy to see us for about 5 minutes, then he'd just get annoyed and growl if we came near him...and yes, he WOULD bite if we didn't listen.

It was fun to watch him with our large-boned Shepherd, though. The poodle would bark and jump around at the big guy...who would just calmly sit and look at him for a bit, then take his big paw and put it right down on the poodle's head. Lather, rinse, repeat

I didn't really trust small dogs at all until my parents retired and started getting small purebreds. They've had two Maltese and a Yorkie...all very sweet dogs. The Maltese they have now is a bit hyper but at least he's not mean. And they are/were all soooooo cute.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

My first experience with small dogs was one of our neighbors back in Ft. Lewis (Washington, btw). They had a couple chihuahuas. The boy, whose name I cannot remember, was an absolute sweetheart. Grecia, on the other hand, was a bitch both literally *and* figuratively. You could barely get near her without being snapped at.

I know that not all small dogs are evil incarnate, though. My bestie has a Yorkie who is painfully adorable and a total cuddle monkey.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

My dogs are sweethearts, just very protective. Must be in the breed. They tend to be loyal to a person. Or in my case, 3 people. I always says "Kill em with cuteness"

Comment

Don't Great Danes love to go *flop*?
          "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

When I was little, my family had a really small dog. She was not much bigger than a Chihuahua, but she thought she was a Doberman. She was great with my younger sister and me though. Poor dog tolerated getting dressed up and pulled around in our little red wagon.

Now, the dog absolutely hated cats and water. My sister and I, evil children that we were, took especial delight in walking her near puddles just to watch her jump over them. If she spotted a cat, more often than not, she'd drag whoever was holding the leash across the apartment complex trying to go after it. The funniest thing though was when my parents left the apartment door open one day. Dog heard a cat and came tearing down the stairs barking all the way. Unfortunately for her, it had rained the day before and the stairs were still wet. Back up she went, and I kid you not, she used her claws to climb those stairs, ewwwing to herself the entire way.
            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I can speak to small dogs - the largest I have ever had was about 30 pounds, most quite a bit smaller.

It is a classic Napoleon complex, and a form of compensation for their size. Kinda like those lizards in the desert that can use their neckflap to make themselves look a lot bigger.

They can be rather territorial - I was once taking our "Schniwawa" (Half Schnauzer half chihuahua) that has "the attitude" to the vet. (Same vet as you see on Emergency Vets on the Animal Planet).

She viewed me as "her person", and was especially territorial around me when it came to other dogs, and girlfriends/fiancees. While we were waiting, we had a visit paid to us by an Irish Wolfhound - one of the biggest effin' breeds imaginable. Stretch this dog out with legs front & back on the floor, we are talking somewhere around 8-9 feet, or 2.5m +. Saw its weight on the scale - 220+ pounds, over 100 kilos.

Said wolfhound comes over and is as sweet as can be, and nudges my hand for some attention with a muzzle that is well over half the size of my dog, Angel.

Angel walks out to the end of my thigh by the dog, all 6 pounds/2.75 kilos of her, and flat out SLAPS the wolfhound on the nose with her paw. In other words, "THAT IS MY PERSON!"

The wolfhound didn't know what to do - it almost had a look on its face like "er....you know I could eat you in 1 bite, maybe 2, right?", but walked off.
              ----

And then again, my wife and I have a 10 pound 3 year old schnoodle (schnauzer/poodle) male, who is the sweetest goofball you could imagine, and is actually quite a bit shy around most dogs & people until he knows you. The only exception is really big dogs, and he wants to be friends with them, not dominate. When he was a baby puppy, in our complex we had a 150+ pound Newfoundland (think jet black St. Bernard), and an 80 pound 11 year old german sheperd that were his buddies. They would lay in the grass and have to put up with a 5 pound puppy climbing all over them.

----

At any rate, some people ask me whether the sometimes loud nature of my dogs (I also have a 5 year old female schnoodle) when they see people go by our condo bothers me - I say no way. If I'm home I keep them under control for the sake of my neighbors, but if they bark, they make very good guard dogs despite their size. Burglars HATE noise!

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                Don't Great Danes love to go *flop*?
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBNSjF8629Q

Comment

Small dogs have a "Napolean Complex". They think they're bigger than they are. But when they encounter a regular sized dog, they get schooled real quick...lol.

Comment

@Lachrymose: My weimaraner, Hailie, does that too! She's also my couch buddy. When I sleep in the loungeroom with one or both of the kids when they're sick, she stretches out next to me on the couch. If I'm in the recliner, she sleeps on the floor next to me or on the couch with the kid.

Big dogs are such sweethearts.
                    Attached Files
                    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Working...
                    X