Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 08-20-2018, 04:36 PM
RVT

There was a study done on medical compliance, that we read in vet tech school. Animal owners seem to run in two groups - one set may buy the meds but is nothing near compliant about giving as directed. The other set will buy all of it and move heaven and earth to give it as directed. The study itself was (I think) only about humans and their own meds, and apparently, even cancer patients are not entirely compliant. And you'd think that cancer patients have an urgent need to be compliant!

Old 08-22-2018, 05:04 AM
stressed out broke pizza guy

Location: In the land of Green and Gold eating Pepperoni with an UZI

Quote:
Quoth Minflick View Post
There was a study done on medical compliance, that we read in vet tech school. Animal owners seem to run in two groups - one set may buy the meds but is nothing near compliant about giving as directed. The other set will buy all of it and move heaven and earth to give it as directed. The study itself was (I think) only about humans and their own meds, and apparently, even cancer patients are not entirely compliant. And you'd think that cancer patients have an urgent need to be compliant!
Twice now this spring/summer doggie has had a skin allergy (Vet said LOTS of cases going round this year) went to the vet got checkup and meds (steroid in pill form (twice a day for a few days then once a day then on every other day) , antibiotics (2x per day for 3 weeks) and medicated shampoo(twice per week)). I WILL follow this schedule because if I do not the skin rashes and bleeding and her scratching herself raw will occur again. Not happening.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Old 08-22-2018, 03:25 PM
RVT

We are seeing a huge uptick in allergies in dogs, and even some in cats. We can treat environmental allergies with Cytopoint, which is a weight dose dependent injection that can be like magic for some dogs. Gets spendy with big dogs, but lasts 4-8 weeks or sometimes longer, depending on the dog. Food allergies we try a hydrolyzed protein diet and see if they respond to that.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:55 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Quote:
Quoth Minflick View Post
.... apparently, even cancer patients are not entirely compliant. And you'd think that cancer patients have an urgent need to be compliant!
If the medications involved have unpleasant withdrawal-type symptoms, compliance improves massively.

Or at least, it does in my case! My antidepressants give me a very unpleasant disconnected and dizzy feeling when I skip them for more than a day or so. Unpleasant enough that I have to go home and lie down. Haven't missed more than one dose in a row in quite a few years due to that!!

Old 08-23-2018, 01:49 PM
RVT

Avoidance of a nasty feeling is good!

Old 08-23-2018, 04:47 PM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
If the medications involved have unpleasant withdrawal-type symptoms, compliance improves massively.

Or at least, it does in my case! My antidepressants give me a very unpleasant disconnected and dizzy feeling when I skip them for more than a day or so. Unpleasant enough that I have to go home and lie down. Haven't missed more than one dose in a row in quite a few years due to that!!
Yeah, back when I was taking ADs, what I found was that the strength of the side effects was directly proportional to the rate of change in my blood levels.