This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH CRAP!!!!

Thankfully the mech was not under it when the arm swing lock failed. Only minor damage.
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 03-19-2019, 06:38 PM.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post

Thankfully the mech was not under it when the arm swing lock failed. Only minor damage.
    So...

You're claiming the stains are oil. Right.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      So...

You're claiming the stains are oil. Right.
      Yes the guy changed his own oil-fucked up and it leaked out and he ran it low/no oil and fragged the motor-and because he did it-it's not covered by warranty. Less then 15k on the Jeep.
      So I got a motor for it today. DH

I remind the mech he's not a DJ and cars are not beats and he should not drop them.
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Now, I know how simple an oil change is, and how easy it could be to screw up... but anyone who's ever done it right knows how to, oh, I dunno, NOT SCREW IT UP.
        So, how in the hell? Especially when the screwup is to torque the living hell out of the drainbolt and filter.

Well, maybe the guy learned something in the process. And by that same logic, I should go buy some lottery tickets now.

Edit: Wait, that's also one of the super-new motors with low/no-oil pressure shutoffs to prevent this kind of thing. (Said failsafes starting from back in the 1980's) So how in the hell?
        Last edited by Buzzard; 10-18-2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

*shrug* it was 3qts low. and it was the filter on wrong.
          AkaiKitsune

Comment

It's a good thing that was a jeep that slipped. I get the feeling a car would have been damaged bad enough in that fall (and how it landed) to total it

Comment

Another thing that's bothering me: The arm swing-lock failed. Unless that arm flat buckled and/or fell off, it can't just slide out from under the vehicle it's lifting if it's positioned properly in the first place. Mass, friction and this thing called gravity tend to lock things together. Methinks there was someone else getting sloppy and kinda flinging things in the general direction of where they needed to be.

(Still boggled on how the hell the idiot screwed up the oil filter)

Comment

Cheap Management got an used lift, never insp them when put in or anytime after inc the once a month req by insurance and the mech did not make sure the lock engaged and it was hung up due to lack of lube and dirt.
                AkaiKitsune

Comment

Right. Even if it weren't way out of my area, I want nothing to do with the shop area of LaDeDodge (or whatever they're calling it this month).
                  I've worked with much heavier equipment with no real fear, for the simple fact that I, and others who's work is the Gold Standard, are also crawling over/in said equipment every now and then, making DAMN sure that it's still in good condition and not going to squash something. (Namely US!)

Well, you know there's going to be a flurry of activity going on, making it look like everything is *ALWAYS* properly maintained and this was just some fluke accident.

Comment

I'm working an a exit plan. I let the guy insp my car, I said if you drop it- total it can I can just pick something off the lot.
                    AkaiKitsune

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                      I let the guy insp my car, I said if you drop it- total it can I can just pick something off the lot.
                      That's my plan as well. If my car gets destroyed during service, the dealer is giving me a new one.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                        (Still boggled on how the hell the idiot screwed up the oil filter)
                        Easy:
                        1. I know how to do this!
                        2. It's not going in, so it must be faulty
                        3. Well, I’ll MAKE it fit!

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                          That's my plan as well. If my car gets destroyed during service, the dealer is giving me a new one.
                          Unfortunately that doesn't work when your car is one of the first batch off the boat. And the place that drops it isn't a dealer, but a tire business. And they ignored the instructions you gave them on the specific procedure to lift the vehicle, and they didn't bother reading the instructions that you carefully left with them.

... Happened to an acquaintance of mine ...

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                            Unfortunately that doesn't work when your car is one of the first batch off the boat. And the place that drops it isn't a dealer, but a tire business. And they ignored the instructions you gave them on the specific procedure to lift the vehicle, and they didn't bother reading the instructions that you carefully left with them.
                            Ouuuuch! That poor car! Sounds like someone had a very expensive insurance claim in their future...
                            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that they put it on the lift like you would a front engine car and where shocked when the rear engine was enough to cause it to fall off?

Comment

Working...
                              X