This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to lose sales & alienate customers

There's a big chain music (instrument) store in town I have to shop at sometimes because I live almost 30 miles away from it & the really good local store is almost another 25 miles away,an hour's drive,not worth it to just buy some drumsticks or heads.2 stories:

1. I wanted to buy a Yamaha DD-65,so I amble into the drum department & tell the kid (I was 52 at the time) that's what I'm looking for,do they have one.He says to me "They don't make those anymore"

So I kinda glare at him & say "It's the newest version,it's on Yamaha's website & Amamzon already has them"

So without saying anything he looks on his comp & says "Well,we don't have any"

So I stand there for a few seconds,waiting for what should be his next words: "But we can order one for you".Nope,nada,zilch.So I walked out.

Coincidentally the next day the mgr. of the drum dept. calls me to invite me to their annual Drum Off.Told him I left that to the young'uns anymore,but as long as I have your ear,this is what happened yesterday.He apologized & agreed with me that more training was in order.

2. A couple of months ago I wanted to buy some subwoofers for our PA,we had an outdoor gig coming up & I needed them fast.So back into the store.I see what I think I'm looking for,but I had to walk back to the counter to get somebody (should've just left then).
    So I ask this guy,really dumb looking,hideous glasses & literally,his mouth hanging open "Are these the subs that have the built-in bandpass filter so I don't need an external crossover?"
    "I don't know"
    "Well,you work here,why don't you find out?"

So we go around to the back of the subs,I ask him again,he finally says "I don't think so,these are hooked up to crossovers".

Turns out they were exactly what I was looking for,they lost a $500 sale due to this mouthbreather.As it turns out,that's what the staff at this national chain are known as nationally,the Mouthbreathers (any musicians here'll know what store I'm talking about).

C'mon folks,when your customers know more than your staff it's time for some product knowledge training,which the manufacturers give away for free.
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
    C'mon folks,when your customers know more than your staff it's time for some product knowledge training,which the manufacturers give away for free.
    Sometimes it seems like that's the case in 90% of the stores I visit. Or it may just the stores where I ask questions.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Sounds like almost every Best Buy I've ever been to ever. The exception is the one here in town. These people actually know stuff most of the time.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

You'd think that with management's attitude of "we can replace you in 5 minutes" they would actually try and hire people who, I don't know, actually _know_ what they're selling.

In these hard economic times losing customers because your employees don't have a clue about their products seems to be a losing proposition.

Comment

(wait i'm a mouthbreather! ... allergies suck )

but yeah... it would be better if they actually knew about what they were selling. i mean sure, i can understand say... a department store employee not knowing which hair color works better because they have thousands of products.

but in your case it's a specialty store. you expect them to actually know their products.

Comment

wow, and i can't seem to find a job, even though i'm a few (dozen) steps above mouthbreathers (but several below expert ).

i've encountered this a few times, but when i was on active duty; the worst part? they were in supervisory positions.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
            X